*** Crucial Pro OC 32GB Giveaway! ***

OcUK Staff
Last edited:
Sounds awesome.
Some of my best memories are waking up in the middle of the night to jump on the family PC to play Tie Fighter back in the mid 90s! The music, the story, the whole vibe made me want to 'bring peace and order to the galaxy'!
I'm still a massive fan of the TIE Advanced/Avenger, B-Wing, Assault Gunboat and TIE Defender which is 100% the fault of this game. Nothing has quite scratched the itch in the same way since, albeit at some point I need to play Tie Fighter Remastered mod that got released for XWing Alliance.

Alternatively the first time I played through and finished Ocarina of Time. That was also a pretty special experience.

My NOT best memory was also the time that Magic Carpet via DOS, another game I loved, back in the day crashed my PC, which then proceeded to corrupt the harddrive and windows needed to be installed.
Kids these days don't realise how easy they have things with PCs nowadays, everything just works with the occasional soft crash these days, back then it was regular to have to reinstall windows surprisingly often!
Not a best memory, but one that has stuck with me! TIE Fighter did the same thing at least once, but Magic Carpet was by far buggier and crashed more.

I put a lot of hours into those games, and I'm still kinda amazed Magic Carpet never got a more modern re-imagining.

Edit: Also working out a fairly indepth way (registry edits etc) to stop sound/DPC latency issues caused by Nvidia Powermizer on laptops about 10-15 years ago, back in the early 980M/GTX280m etc era. It was more effective than just setting prefer maximum performance in the Nvidia control panel. Guide worked well enough Dell/Alienware linked it on thier blog at the time, it was on the now defunct Notebookreview forums. Thats gaming tangential though, but believed it helped a lot of users and was a pretty proud moment for me, as until Nvidia resolved the issues a few years later, for a while it was the only way to not have these issues on certain high end gaming laptops, and I'd written a good and clear enough guide for it to be Dell/Alienware's defacto guide if you wanted an interim solution :)

Good times (well not 100%, I had to work it out, and then write the guide on the steps for a reason) but was an achievement for sure.

Last edited:
PC specifically the earliest I can still remember is Croc: Legend of the Gobbos. Was the first game I played on my very own pc in my bedroom. Can remember playing it for hours on end getting stuck on levels and getting frustrated :cry:

The fight mechanic amused me a lot with its sound effects :D

Yazzoo! Wahaay! Kersplat! Kapow! Kahoot!

Last edited:
Getting my Sega megadrive for Christmas when I was a child, I got to go and pick it up from dixons and got road rash to play on it. My mum made me clean up before I could play it. I think that's extortion.

Building the ZX81 DIY kit my Dad just bought for my birthday it took us 3 hours. I had the 16k RAM Pack too. Then typing in a massive game from a poster magazine it was an adventure game where you moved across a land battling monsters, a very early RPG can not remember its name. Having to go through each line of code several times to find out where you had type it in wrong. Finally to see the game play was amazing. It was all # , [ ] ascii characters. I remember the monsters were $ and when you saw one it gave you a fright. 40+ years ago when there were no hi res graphics little ASCII characters in a game entertained and your imagination filled in the limitations.

Last edited:
2002 - playing BF 1942 in an internet cafe in Auckland with my brother, Wake Island, never experienced such a huge leap in gaming, planes/boats/infantry/vehicles slugging it out.

Close second was walking out onto Hyrule Field in OOT on the N64.

One of my best memories was firing up Doom 3 after installing an XFX 6800GT and an X-FI Xtreme soundcard.

Was so impressed with the sound / GFX.

**PS Were you in morrissons fezzie park earlier **

Playing direct dial multiplayer Jedi Knight and Diablo 1 with a friend over 56k modem (US Robotics of course) while I lived abroad (the country we lived in didn't have internet, this was in the 90s). Totally mind blowing that you could play multiplayer without needing to be in the same house at the time!

Last edited:
Not sure how to only pick one...

Trying to think what my number one would be... I guess the best has to be the Xmas I got zelda ocarina of time. However, the most memorable one though was going on a train to London, on to the underground and over to somewhere in Essex with my mate at 16yo to join my delta force black hawk down friends in a lan. We'd all rented a hall and spent the weekend playing games with another clan. Was my first time going to London and first time going to a lan. So a great memory.

Back
Top Bottom