• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Crypto miners could soon flood eBay with cheap CPUs, motherboards and SSDs

Soldato
Crypto miners could soon flood Ebay with cheap CPUs, motherboards and SSDs acquired via GPU bundle purchases - NotebookCheck.net News

PC DIY sources close to DigiTimes are reporting that second-hand sale platforms like eBay could get flooded with sealed computer components in the second half of 2021. The primary source for these components would be crypto miners that are now forced to buy GPUs bundled with all sorts of additional components.

Likely we`ll see the UK etailers following along here, and only selling RTX 3080Ti et al, with bundles of items they are struggling to shift - and items the distributers are also making them take just to get a GPU (which was reported by GN a few weeks ago - naming gigbayte psus as one item)

Soldato
Been the case for a while now that the easiest way to buy reasonably priced GPUs is to buy a pre-build. A few weeks back, OCUK were selling a 3060 Ti PC for less than the going rate for a 3060 Ti FE on ebay! Prices have risen since then, but it's still often the cheaper route when you factor in the resale price of other parts. Plus stock is easier to get via this route.

Permabanned
The issue here, is not miners as they are entitled to buy as many GPUs they can afford.

The issue here is lack of supply and scalpers. These Come in many forms.

solution is to Flood in the market with GPUs so everyone wanting one can get one.

Soldato
If you flood the market with gpus then what happens to scalpers? They buy them all or they struggle to sell theirs onwards?

They just buy more with the profits they've already made and then sell them to miners who will seemingly pay anything as they just think to themselves 'oh well, its just another x amount of time to mine the extra cost of the card back.' All while the gamers sit at the bottom trying to hoover up whatever slips through the net that is then pre-scalped by the retailer for the customers convenience. :cool::o:D

I've already told my 1080 he has a job until the next generation. Haha!

V F

V F

Soldato
It's really starting to feel like shady people selling out of the back of vans and trucks these days.

Associate
They just buy more with the profits they've already made and then sell them to miners who will seemingly pay anything as they just think to themselves 'oh well, its just another x amount of time to mine the extra cost of the card back.' All while the gamers sit at the bottom trying to hoover up whatever slips through the net that is then pre-scalped by the retailer for the customers convenience. :cool::o:D

I've already told my 1080 he has a job until the next generation. Haha!

no not if the market was flooded sufficiently. its gonna take a lot of cards to do that though.

Associate
Supply must be greater for few days or a week. ppl would be reluctant to buy from scalper (no warranty) if they can buy from a shop. the reversal would be quick.

scalpers dont have infinate money they cant buy huge stocks. and yes the stocks must be huge to. but not any time soon.

Soldato
no not if the market was flooded sufficiently. its gonna take a lot of cards to do that though.

It's impossible to flood the market sufficiently as long as there is a simple ROI from mining.

The economics don't work, miners will consume all supply, because every additional GPU = additional $$$.

If people were just gaming on them, yes, you could kill off scalping by having sufficient supply. But people aren't gaming on them.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
The economics don't work, miners will consume all supply, because every additional GPU = additional $$$.

Its not as straight forward as you make it out to be. If you are a gamer you might be lucky to add one more card in the machine before your out of room. Then you need a decent PSU to cope with the load. Dedicated rigs can support typically 5 cards say, so you will need other components to get this working. You cant just buy cards and add them to a normal setup without the extra outlay (motherboard, PSU, cpu, RAM, risers - minimum).

Then restrictions on purchases make it one card per household or one FE out of the series. As many many people even on here seem to have one of the 30 series by now or 6x00 from AMD, its actually much harder to source 'additional' cards than your making it out to be.

The only outlier here is if your referring to bulk buying where its done on a big scale direct between distributors. If this is the case its bypassing the regular scene/channels anyway and the only way to stop that is to go back to the two GPU makers as they have no measures in place to ensure all gaming cards are making it from factory to retailer.

Soldato
Its not as straight forward as you make it out to be. If you are a gamer you might be lucky to add one more card in the machine before your out of room. Then you need a decent PSU to cope with the load. Dedicated rigs can support typically 5 cards say, so you will need other components to get this working. You cant just buy cards and add them to a normal setup without the extra outlay (motherboard, PSU, cpu, RAM, risers - minimum).

Then restrictions on purchases make it one card per household or one FE out of the series. As many many people even on here seem to have one of the 30 series by now or 6x00 from AMD, its actually much harder to source 'additional' cards than your making it out to be.

The only outlier here is if your referring to bulk buying where its done on a big scale direct between distributors. If this is the case its bypassing the regular scene/channels anyway and the only way to stop that is to go back to the two GPU makers as they have no measures in place to ensure all gaming cards are making it from factory to retailer.

Doesn't matter what extra kit you need. As long as you can buy a GPU and get a positive ROI on it in a matter of months, miners will buy up all the stock available.

Demand will always exceed supply, until something changes to disrupt that ROI.

Soldato
you're only considering the average joe sitting at home mining for a bit of craic. they are not what is swallowing up the gpu's. it's the professional mining setups that will buy up any and all stock they can get their hands on while there's returns to be made and those, i assume, are what the original poster is referring to.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
you're only considering the average joe sitting at home mining for a bit of craic. they are not what is swallowing up the gpu's. it's the professional mining setups that will buy up any and all stock they can get their hands on while there's returns to be made and those, i assume, are what the original poster is referring to.

Read the other bit I posted in the same post:

So I mentioned that precisely.

Miners can also be small scale. I mine when I am not gaming. Have done for a decade now. Its only as its mainstream level these days that people even care about it. So if I cant buy another card, neither can the other hobby/small miners.

If you look hard enough on this forum, you will see a small minority that have maybe 3x 30 series cards in their possession. This in itself shows the regular man isn't buying on mass, and was only able to at the start due to sloppy retailers opening the barn door before engaging brain. They knew about the covid, supply chain shortages in advance. Sorry but implementing restrictions six months after selling continuous streams to bots and scalpers is unforgivable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom