• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Crytek demo DXR on Vega 56

Caporegime
My 1070 doesn't have RT cores, think about that for a minute.
Sigh, of course it doesn't but NVidia enabled DXR at driver level for the hardware and AMD can do the same if they want. Why does your 1070 run it like a slideshow, yet my 2080Ti runs it butter smooth? Think about that for a moment!

Caporegime
Sigh, of course it doesn't but NVidia enabled DXR at driver level for the hardware and AMD can do the same if they want. Why does your 1070 run it like a slideshow, yet my 2080Ti runs it butter smooth? Think about that for a moment!

This reply, which i predicted, is exactly why i quoted myself when replying to you. all you need for that is here.

That's a semantical argument you're trying to use as a "gotcha" thing, i know the difference between dedicated Ray Tracing acceleration on the RTX card's vs not, i have explained it a couple times in this thread which you've ignored for your fake engineered "gotcha" moment.

It changes nothing, Yes the RTX cards have dedicated RT acceleration, what you and D.P fail to understand is what nVidia using dedicated Ray Tracing acceleration hardware for Ray Tracing is, Ray Tracing is NOT nVidia RTX, nVidia RTX is acceleration hardware, Ray Tracing is entirely independent from that and any hardware with compute ability can run it, it was certainly NOT invented by nVidia or Microsoft.

AMD cannot run Ray Tracing in those nVidia Ray Tracing titles that have it, not because AMD don't have Ray tracing ability, they do, NOT because they are RTX cards, but because nVidia wrapped the Ray Tracing component in a proprietary API wrapper that locks AMD out of it.

PS: if nVidia proprietary API wrapped Ray Tracing was not so horrendously optimised you wouldn't need the dedicated RT core hardware acceleration to run it at any reasonable performance, that was done IMO for you to dig deep into your pockets for the hardware. Kerching!

Caporegime
This reply, which i predicted, is exactly why i quoted myself when replying to you. all you need for that is here.
I have had a good sleep from working my 4am shifts, so googled DXR for you.

https://community.amd.com/thread/231443

I guess you will skip that but again whatever. DXR is not proprietary and that is a fact!

I don't even care about "gotcha", just enjoy a good debate but you have to see from the others side or no point bothering!

Caporegime
I have had a good sleep from working my 4am shifts, so googled DXR for you.

https://community.amd.com/thread/231443

I guess you will skip that but again whatever. DXR is not proprietary and that is a fact!

I don't even care about "gotcha", just enjoy a good debate but you have to see from the others side or no point bothering!

So you agree, well that's something, i guess the only thing we disagree on is the need for expensive Hardware Acceleration, which is only necessary because nVidia, as usual made such a mess of it (by design or sheer incompetence) in order for you to require said £1200 Hardware to run their implementation of it at any reasonable performance, Kerching.
With that and let me tell you that i don't expect you, at least, to agree with that.

bru

bru

Soldato
You lot really need to put the handbags away, all this swinging and hitting/missing each other is highly amusing but not really very helpful.
But then again you could always keep it up as it is funny/interesting to read and it makes a change for me not to be involved.....lol.:D

Caporegime
You lot really need to put the handbags away, all this swinging and hitting/missing each other is highly amusing but not really very helpful.
But then again you could always keep it up as it is funny/interesting to read and it makes a change for me not to be involved.....lol.:D

Just grab the popcorn :D while i'm sure it is annoying some useful information does come out of. :)

I like to think...

Soldato
Sigh, of course it doesn't but NVidia enabled DXR at driver level for the hardware and AMD can do the same if they want.

is only necessary because nVidia, as usual made such a mess of it (by design or sheer incompetence) in order for you to require said £1200 Hardware to run their implementation of it at any reasonable performance

Can AMD run any RTX title via an AMD DXR enabled driver?

Is assumption in play that all it'll take is AMD driver support-has anywhere said it's as simple as driver support(and it would run slower on AMD like Pascal does), or are RTX titles locked to Nv like hardware PhysX?

Then there is the question of whether RTX titles are Nv exclusive/timed licensed.

Personally idk and wondered if I have missed the relevant info?

Caporegime
Can AMD run any RTX title via an AMD DXR enabled driver?

Is assumption in play that all it'll take is AMD driver support-has anywhere said it's as simple as driver support(and it would run slower on AMD like Pascal does), or are RTX titles locked to Nv like hardware PhysX?

Then there is the question of whether RTX titles are Nv exclusive/timed licensed.

Personally idk and wondered if I have missed the relevant info?

I don't know anything more than anyone but.

It looks to me like RTX is a branding they have given to Ray Tracing Game titles they sponsor, the RTX branding is all over these games so yes i think nVidia are simply continuing the same way they have since they acquired PhysX from whatever i forget now dead GPU vendor and branding their own exclusive branded version of it.

And you know, its better Ray Tracing because its nVidia Ray Tracing and you need that Hardware to get the special Ray Tracing.

That's already starting to sink into some people, you have to admire their marketing skills.

Last edited:
Soldato
DXR is a microsoft api both AMD and Nvidia can run it, Nvidia made a deal with microsoft so that it could use its very expensive compute cards technology and just plop it into the RTX cards and sell it as a "feature" the deal with microsoft is that they have exclusivity of the dxr for X amount of time while they sell their cards and so allowed them to enable it for GTX cards as well.
Amd have actually been using raytracing far longer than nvidia, see RADEONRAYS. And could TOTALLY enable it in a driver in a nano second, but they are not allowed as it would need the permission of Microsoft and as I mentioned, nvidia made a deal with them which prevents this until X time and X date. Who knows when that will be, but I am 100% positive you will see and AMD driver that enables it.

This also links into navi and PS5 having raytracing and links to this Crytek demo also, who I believe are using a DXR enabled AMD driver to perform this, which is why we cant download the demo for ourselves for above reasons ^

I'd say that the radeon 7 would run it pretty well probably better than a 1080ti can, but when we will find out only Nvidia and microsoft know

Permabanned
DXR is a microsoft api both AMD and Nvidia can run it, Nvidia made a deal with microsoft so that it could use its very expensive compute cards technology and just plop it into the RTX cards and sell it as a "feature" the deal with microsoft is that they have exclusivity of the dxr for X amount of time while they sell their cards and so allowed them to enable it for GTX cards as well.
Amd have actually been using raytracing far longer than nvidia, see RADEONRAYS. And could TOTALLY enable it in a driver in a nano second, but they are not allowed as it would need the permission of Microsoft and as I mentioned, nvidia made a deal with them which prevents this until X time and X date. Who knows when that will be, but I am 100% positive you will see and AMD driver that enables it.

This also links into navi and PS5 having raytracing and links to this Crytek demo also, who I believe are using a DXR enabled AMD driver to perform this, which is why we cant download the demo for ourselves for above reasons ^

I'd say that the radeon 7 would run it pretty well probably better than a 1080ti can, but when we will find out only Nvidia and microsoft know

Where did you hear this?
It's the first I've heard about there being some type of timed exclusivity deal, I thought it was an open standard from day one and AMD simply haven't gone near it because they haven't got the hardware for it yet.

Can I have a link for a read please.

Soldato

:confused: you certainly have an imagination.

bru

bru

Soldato

Would love to read about such an exclusivity deal, as google isn't showing up anything, do you have a link/source?
All google brings up is about when NVidia released the driver for the earlier pascal cards, ending the exclusivity of the RTX Turing cards.

Man of Honour

Eh statements from David Wang (AMD) directly contradict what you are saying.

Soldato
Would love to read about such an exclusivity deal, as google isn't showing up anything, do you have a link/source?
All google brings up is about when NVidia released the driver for the earlier pascal cards, ending the exclusivity of the RTX Turing cards.

This! I’ve never heard anything about this deal, please go on and provide some evidence

Permabanned
This just popped up in an email newsletter, It may have already been posted somewhere but it's Cryengine relevant so here it is again.

Home News Gaming CRYENGINE 5.7: DX12, Vulkan, ray tracing support in 2020

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/65879/cryengine-5-7-dx12-vulkan-ray-tracing-support-2020/index.html

I wonder if a new Crysis title is in the works
riddle

Permabanned

That's probably what he read wrong not realising they mean exclusivity as in the only hardware currently with DXR specific hardware to run it rather than an actual you can't touch this exclusivity deal.

Soldato
That's probably what he read wrong not realising they mean exclusivity as in the only hardware currently with DXR specific hardware to run it rather than an actual you can't touch this exclusivity deal.

So from that was gleaned: 'deal with Microsoft', ' exclusivity of the dxr for X amount of time', 'permission of Microsoft'. :confused:

This is a Tony Williams level post composition :p

Soldato
It looks to me like RTX is a branding they have given to Ray Tracing Game titles they sponsor, the RTX branding is all over these games so yes i think nVidia are simply continuing the same way they have since they acquired PhysX from whatever i forget now dead GPU vendor and branding their own exclusive branded version of it.

And you know, its better Ray Tracing because its nVidia Ray Tracing and you need that Hardware to get the special Ray Tracing.

That's already starting to sink into some people, you have to admire their marketing skills.

Taking the horrific buy in and ridiculous non DLSS RT performance to cost ratio out of the equation, it's the only Ray Tracing though, where's AMD's RT-YT vids of Noir?

Without AMD (paying)partnering for exclusive support on X amount of gpu's for Mantle, there wouldn't have been Vulcan/DX12-on a more positive side note, the pro Nv users DX12 negativity has vanished.

RTX/Mantle aren't brought to the table to benefit the customer for free, first and foremost they are marketed as desirable usp's that make customers part with their cash-however the buy in for Mantle was minuscule in comparison to RTX buy in.

AMD are milking the high pricing too, they sat at comparable pp's until recently happily running riot on Crypto sales, brought out the late comparable performing VII and priced it alongside the 2080-without RT support or custom AIB variants, it's silver or nothing!

When your competitor can't lay a glove on you, you call the shots.

Without Nv (paying)partnering for RT RTX features to be included into the so far three titles, there wouldn't have been any RT in game at all-devs clearly won't use it unless paid to due to the tiniest of tiny RT capable userbase.

My concern as an RTX user is the performance to cost ratio is pathetic and where is the promised RTX supported games, not the ones under development, but existing titles they promised RTX/DLSS support for, ARK, H2, pubg, JC4, the rest....

Back
Top Bottom