• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Crytek demo DXR on Vega 56

Caporegime
Taking the horrific buy in and ridiculous non DLSS RT performance to cost ratio out of the equation, it's the only Ray Tracing though, where's AMD's RT-YT vids of Noir?

Without AMD (paying)partnering for exclusive support on X amount of gpu's for Mantle, there wouldn't have been Vulcan/DX12-on a more positive side note, the pro Nv users DX12 negativity has vanished.

RTX/Mantle aren't brought to the table to benefit the customer for free, first and foremost they are marketed as desirable usp's that make customers part with their cash-however the buy in for Mantle was minuscule in comparison to RTX buy in.

AMD are milking the high pricing too, they sat at comparable pp's until recently happily running riot on Crypto sales, brought out the late comparable performing VII and priced it alongside the 2080-without RT support or custom AIB variants, it's silver or nothing!

When your competitor can't lay a glove on you, you call the shots.

Without Nv (paying)partnering for RT RTX features to be included into the so far three titles, there wouldn't have been any RT in game at all-devs clearly won't use it unless paid to due to the tiniest of tiny RT capable userbase.

My concern as an RTX user is the performance to cost ratio is pathetic and where is the promised RTX supported games, not the ones under development, but existing titles they promised RTX/DLSS support for, ARK, H2, pubg, JC4, the rest....

I think the short answer is no one gives a crap what AMD does on the GPU side, AMD put a lot of time, money and effort into Mantle, the best thing that's ever happened to PC gaming in more than a decade and no one cared, to this day we are still benefiting from it and few people can explain how or would even know.

Do you remember the reviews of Mantle?

They always went like this:

Hardware:

Some form of i7 overclocked to highest possible Ghz
Throttling reference R9 290
2 minutes single player campaign mode BF4

DX11 93 FPS
Mantle 93 FPS

Conclution: Mantle is crap, it doesn't do anything.

I sent half those reviewers this, not one responded to me.

AMD spent the last decade advancing shading and lighting technologies in the game titles they sponsored and made them GPU agnostic, they advertised those things, no one knows anything about it.

nVidia take the same technologies, call it Gameworks and the tech journalists never shut up about how good it all is, nVidia even patched their DX11 driver to give you limited better performance in the face of Mantel and that became the big story of the API battles in the tech press.

Tommy why should AMD bother?

Caporegime
I think the short answer is no one gives a crap what AMD does on the GPU side, AMD put a lot of time, money and effort into Mantle, the best thing that's ever happened to PC gaming in more than a decade and no one cared, to this day we are still benefiting from it and few people can explain how or would even know.

AMD spent the last decade advancing shading and lighting technologies in the game titles they sponsored and made them GPU agnostic, they advertised those things, no one knows anything about it.

nVidia take the same technologies, call it Gameworks and the tech journalists never shut up about how good it all is, nVidia even patched their DX11 driver to give you limited better performance in the face of Mantel and that became the big story of the API battles in the tech press.

Let me put it this way, Crytek have Ray Traced GI in their engine thanks to AMD.

Crytek appreciate AMD for all the work they did in their engine, and it was a lot, none of it is vendor specific and all of it Open Source.

Caporegime
Ra
Let me put it this way, Crytek have Ray Traced GI in their engine thanks to AMD.

Crytek appreciate AMD for all the work they did in their engine, and it was a lot, none of it is vendor specific and all of it Open Source.
Wasn't Crytek the one's who used too much Tessellation in Crysis 2 which killed AMD cards performance?

Permabanned
Mantle aren't brought to the table to benefit the customer for free,

I tried booting up Sniper Elite 3 with Mantle a few months back but the game gave me an Are you crazy
riddle
look and closed down. :rolleyes:

where is the promised RTX supported games, not the ones under development, but existing titles they promised RTX/DLSS support for, ARK, H2, pubg, JC4, the rest...

I wouldn't hold your breath on JC4, We were told there'd be a DX12 update for Just Cause 3 but it got scrapped due to the low impact of the game & unfortunately it looks like JC4's gone the same way. :o

Soldato

Well, STALKER Clear Sky had volumetric and dynamic smoke, all the way back to dx10.1 days.

Then Batman happened and Metro, after which we were supposed to think such thing can only be done with Physx. If I remembere correctly, in one of them, if not both, there was no smoke/fog whatsoever if you don't enable that (they could have made it at least static), just to exaggerate the "usefulness" of PhysX.

Regarding BF4, it could be that the dx11 driver from AMD was just that bad or the overall optimization was done poorly or on purpose to work better under Mantle - although, since GCN works best with low lvl API, maybe the problem is within the HW itself.

Anyway, replaying Metro without RT and I can't say it looks bad, it's just a bit of Batman and other Metro game syndrome. Overall all it looks ok without RT, minus some areas that look rather flat while other are too dark (unnatural) with RT on.

So far I'm getting the felling that you can't really push that much the ray tracing on current hardware. It is a tinny bit better or realistic in certain scenarios, but with the high price of performance, can't really say it's worth it. Any day of the week a game with large crowds (Hitman or AC: Unity style), better physics and smarter AI (and let's not forget about the SOUND!!!), will make a far greater impact than RT. Speaking of which, demos like Heretic, Adam, Rebirth, The Blacksmith, show what you can do using the classical approach.

Caporegime
That looks quite good, amazing for the time.

Anyway, yes, to be fair to nVidia they use, for lack of a better word "hacks" to improve DX11 on the CPU side which up to a point decreases the CPU bottleneck, they utilise one of the CPU's threads as a controller to speared the load across more threads than DX11 normally would, and it works quite well, those who switch between AMD and nVidia GPU's know an unstable CPU can crash the nVidia Driver, AMD's GPU drivers don't tend to do that.

Its why AMD GPU performance tends to be lower at lower resolution but improve at higher resolution, its simply that nVidia use the CPU more efficiently at lower res, with DX11.

Now, there are limitations to the level of performance you can gain and putting extra work on one of the CPU's threads can cause that dreaded "one CPU thread bottleneck" sooner.

To be fair to AMD they have been working on their own DX11 efficiency and have improved that performance.

None of these techniques tho are anything like as good as Mantle, DX12 even running on AMD isn't anything like as good as Mantle, only Vulkan is, because it is Mantle.

Vulkan / Mantle is so good it can run a stock FX-8350 at and beyond the performance of an overclocked i7 from the time running on an nVidia GPU.

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
They already butchered the story going from Crysis 1 to 2 so they could more or less do anything at this point.

The story isn't even the problem, it's the world. They swapped wide open world maps for call of duty style corridor shooter, oh how generic - this was done due to console limitations

Caporegime
The story isn't even the problem, it's the world. They swapped wide open world maps for call of duty style corridor shooter, oh how generic - this was done due to console limitations

Yes, and the story was essentially a soft reboot basically dismissing the events from the previous game. Even the aliens were redesigned and looked nothing like the first game. They could have easily written in events to explain this such as these being the aliens from the island as they look today as their species continued to evolve with the ones frozen staying the same, and the new ones were responding to a distress call from the older ship.

But yeah everything got consolised as well with the piracy card being played as the prime reason why the game changed so much. The game was never really the runaway hit they wanted and expected it to be, the game changing drastically in the last third with the Aliens being annoying to fight and that stupid flying section being candidates as to why it got lower than expected reviews. They did the same thing with farcry and most people were of the opinion the game quality dipped substantially once the trigens got introduced.

Soldato
...the game changing drastically in the last third with the Aliens being annoying to fight and that stupid flying section...
SPOILER ALERT! I only put about 2 hours into Crysis 3 before I stripped my rig down for the mammoth mod project.

You ruined it for me :p

Oh wait, Crytek ruined it for me because just those 2 hours were trash...compound bow as powerful as a gun and doesn't switch your cloak off :rolleyes:

Caporegime
SPOILER ALERT! I only put about 2 hours into Crysis 3 before I stripped my rig down for the mammoth mod project.

You ruined it for me :p

Oh wait, Crytek ruined it for me because just those 2 hours were trash...compound bow as powerful as a gun and doesn't switch your cloak off :rolleyes:

I'm not having that, :p Crysis 3 was a great game, shame i didn't have the hardware at the time to run it well.

HD 7870 + Phenom II X6 1090T

And it still looks good today 7 years old.

Soldato
I'm not having that, :p Crysis 3 was a great game
It's a personal thing I guess.

Crysis was stunning because it was literally "here are your targets, here is your equipment, here is a sandbox, go do this however you want". Absolutely loved it.
Crysis 2 reduced the above to set pieces and took some of the joy out of the nanosuit for me; I liked manually fiddling with the thing, rather than the game doing default and predictive modes for me. It felt it had been "console-fied".
Crysis 3 just did not feel right to me. That goddamn compound bow screamed "me too!" because it was cropping up in seemingly every bloody game at the time, and it was also stupidly overpowered. For what little I played, ammo was plentiful, damage capacity was on par with the rifles and I could stay cloaked while using it. Just ripped the challenge out of the game.

Then I started Asteria II so stripped the rig down and haven't touched it since.

When the project is finished (in 2025 at this rate) Crysis 3 will be the first thing I fire back up on the good old OG Titan and give it another shot.

Soldato
So, I've just seen some demos of metro exodus running at 1080p with full high raytracing on a 1660 GTX card with no RTX cores, running at 30fps. So does that mean we can all go head over heels for RTX now or is it only great when its running on AMD hardware at 1080p at 30fps?

Back
Top Bottom