Culinary nightmare

Soldato
OK - I posted something on here the other week about a pudding because I have been thinking about this meal for a while. But it is actually tonight and I am still confused.

I am a student, I have never cooked a single meal in my life. I have barbecued meats before, made microwave curries and put pizzas in the oven. Anyway, I am having someone over for supper and I plan to cook. However;

No Dairy
No Wheat
No Mushrooms
No Chocolate
No Bananas
No Monosodium Glutonate (sp?)

Starter I figured Melon with Parma ham (how hard can that be?)

Main course Lamb with potatoes? But what potatoes? Mashed usually has butter in, I thought about doing some game style chips but lamb is hardly game... What kind of lamb do I get? The boneless loin fillets in Waitrose looked nice (by nice they were the most expensive per kg so I assumed they would be best!?) What about the vegetables? My mother usually drops a great chunk of garlic butter on them after they have been cooked to make them taste rather better but I can't do that, so won't they be dry?

Pudding is still confusing me, but I thought I'd get some kind of sorbet and Waitrose seem to have a really good range of 'free from' stuff so I'll buy something from that...

I suck at cooking... talk about being thrown in at the deep end!

Sam

Associate
Boil them for a bit to soften them, chuck then in the oven with some herbs, salt and olive oil while the lamb is cooking and mmmmmmmm, lovely potatoes

Permabanned
i know nothing said:
Find another girl who is less fussy, far easier.

:D

Could be worse she could have been a Vegan.

I propose op starts a new thread, "How can I bail out from cooking a fussy trollop a meal that she should be greatful for" ;)

Soldato
you can buy minted lamb already marinated that you just chuck in the oven, boil up some potatoes (roast is nicer but boiling is easier) and then boil up some veg and voila a nice meal for 2. might have to look down the fruit avenue again for dessert

MW

Associate
I'd get some lamb shanks (sheep ankles that are much nicer than they sound) put in pot with one sachet of OXO mint gravy, a handful of peeled baby carrots, peeled parsnips, some peeled spuds and a load of closed baby mushrooms. Leave in oven for at least 2 hours on whatever temperature you can be bothered with, it scarcely matters.

Expensive is not necessarily best with meat unless you can cook well. Stew is what made England, sorry, Britain, great.

Associate
use spread instead of butter, just check the ingredients cos some have buttermilk which isnt ok, but most dont so are ok. if it is just cows dairy she can't have/ doesnt want, you can also get goats butter (which tastes the same but slightly less salty).

Zip

Zip

Soldato
laissez-faire said:
No Chocolate

Jebus!! :eek:
Whats wrong with this girl? :/
Definitely got ya self a weird one here :p
Go get one that likes Chocolate, Much fun can be had with chocolate ;)

To do Mashed Potatoes you dont need to use Butter, You can use margarine instead, Its usually made out of Olive or Canola oil so she wont be eating any dairy :)

Or if you really want to impress her, Cook her some Sea food (he Crustacean kind) and then Serve it up with Salad, It will be easy and you dont need to use butter or anything that she doesn't like. I suggest doing Shrimp :cool:

Last edited:
Permabanned
Parboil some nice, small new potatoes - Charlottes or similar.

Then get a hot pan, a splash of olive oil, two finely chopped shallots, a little bit of salt and stick the potatoes in there. After 5 minutes add some fresh rosemary.

PERFECT with lamb.

*n

Back
Top Bottom