Currently Building Comp and AHHHH!

ok im currently building my computer and oh my gosh what i long job this is going to be. Ill just post a question i have when it comes to it.

First is does the enermax liberty 620W PSU want to be installed with the fan grill pointing up or down in the lian-li v1000 plus?

thanks for the help in advance

Man of Honour
Soldato
I'm not intimately familiar with either case or PSU but IIRC the case has the PSU at the bottom. If the PSU were to intake its air from the bottom it would be presses against the botton of the case. Thus it would not do anything at all. Put it facing up.

Should someone who knows what's going on for real came along, please feel free to pwn me. ;)

Soldato
OP
ok thanks, i think ill just wait for someone a little bit more experiencded to give advice, as if the fn grill was pointing up it would be blowing into a wall thing bout 1cm away from it so this seems as though it should point down to blow the air out of the system through the grilled holes of the case

next question, what is thermal interface? i just found out i need some for my CPU and i didnt buy any so am iscrewed as it appears the CPU didnt come with any? :(

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Soldato
thermal interface? I suppose they're talking about thermal paste. Thermal paste is just a thermally conductive goo that is used to mate the CPU and heatsink together. It fills in the tiny gaps between the metal surfaces and lets the whole cooling system do its job properly. You'll have to get some or else you'll find that your new PC might live a short life.

You can't go wrong with Arctic Silver as a brand.

Soldato
OP
so your saying i HAVE to get some thermal paste before installing the CPU. I saw there was some goo type thing on the bottom of the heatsink so i firugred that was it and put it on, but am i going to have to take it off and then go get some?

Associate
If you got a retail processor bundle, don't those come with thermal paste already on the bottom of the heatsink? Certainly did with my 3200+, dunno if its any different with dual core systems

Associate
addy_010 said:
so your saying i HAVE to get some thermal paste before installing the CPU. I saw there was some goo type thing on the bottom of the heatsink so i firugred that was it and put it on, but am i going to have to take it off and then go get some?

Pretty sure that goo is your thermal paste :)

Soldato
OP
Bellboy said:
Pretty sure that goo is your thermal paste :)

ok thanks, thats taken a huge weight off my shoulders as i thought id have to now wait a few more days just to get that. ok ill now move on to next step and then reply if which i defiently will have any more quesitons. thanks again

Soldato
OP
still havent had a for sure answer for this question though. anyone else know?

Does the enermax liberty 620W PSU want to be installed with the fan grill pointing up or down in the lian-li v1000 plus? Putting it up will make it blow into a solid wall and down will blow into the grilled/mesh bottom wall

Associate
addy_010 said:
still havent had a for sure answer for this question though. anyone else know?

Does the enermax liberty 620W PSU want to be installed with the fan grill pointing up or down in the lian-li v1000 plus? Putting it up will make it blow into a solid wall and down will blow into the grilled/mesh bottom wall

Yewen is the best person to ask, he knows that case like the back of his hand. He's usually in the Cases section.

Associate
The big fan Sucks air in not blows it out usually this helps take hot air out of your pc, if the as its at the bottom id place is so it can suck air in from grill to help cool the psu

Mongy

Soldato
The fan needs to be pointing down ideally, so it can draw cool air from under the case through the grills.

The wheels are there so that the air can be sucked up through the bottom by the fan :)

Soldato
OP
ok thanks all for help that now in place.

next quesiton is where the heck is all the cables for the floppy drive, DVD drive, and hard drive. I am following this guide: http://sysbuild.corsairmemory.com/report.aspx?id=2&sid=10, and sometimes looking at this one: http://www.hardwarezone.com/guides/amd-socket939/ but they dont seem to state where the cables come from. I have plugged in the big cables, the ones that are fin but wide, into the floppy and CD drive, but that is it. I have many spare cables atm and dont know what to do with them. any advice?

also what is the HDD cable? i thought at first this was for the hard drvie but it doesnt fit so im lost with it

Last edited:
Associate
addy_010 said:
ok thanks all for help that now in place.

next quesiton is where the heck is all the cables for the floppy drive, DVD drive, and hard drive. I am following this guide: http://sysbuild.corsairmemory.com/report.aspx?id=2&sid=10, and sometimes looking at this one: http://www.hardwarezone.com/guides/amd-socket939/ but they dont seem to state where the cables come from. I have plugged in the big cables, the ones that are fin but wide, into the floppy and CD drive, but that is it. I have many spare cables atm and dont know what to do with them. any advice?

also what is the HDD cable? i thought at first this was for the hard drvie but it doesnt fit so im lost with it

All the cables should be with your motherboard & your PSU. Your HDD cable will depend on what type of HDD you're using. A SATA one I think looks like an "¬" shape and an IDE will probably be the "fin & wide" one you mentioned. Your PSU is a modular one so you only only have to use the cables you actually need so you'll have some spare there & theres probably a few spare ones knocking about in your mobo box too.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Does anyone know where the cases fan cables plug into the mother board? i found in the MB book that there is 3 3pin places called PWR_FAN, CPU_FAN, CHA_FAN. Now as the CHA_FAN was right next to the rear fan and CHA i beleive to maybe stand for chassis, i plugged the cab;e from the rear of the case fan into this socket, i obviously put the CPU cable the CPU_FAN, and then i tried putting the front of the case fan cable the remaining PWR_FAN however the cab;e was not long enough, and as the power supply still had a 3pin cable to be plugged in i furgured id put that in the last place. Is my confirugration correct? and what about the fan on the front of the case, how does that get power? sorry bout long and unintelligent post :(

Associate
OK, the CHA fan & the CPU fan sound correctly set up. Don't plug the lead from your PSU into the one called PWR fan. The fan lead from your PSU should be left unattached unless you have a fan controller or fan monitor on your case, don't plug it into the PWR fan socket.

Do you not have another fan socket closer to the front of your case, just check again closely, maybe it's called CHA 2 or something. If not you may have to get an extension cable, I assume you can get them but I've never used one but I'm sure others will help keep you right. Hope that helps.

Soldato
OP
ok thanks, that really helped me. So PWR_FAN is for the front fan am i correct? i guess id need to buy an extension cable like suggested as there is no way it'l reach.

I also have this weird looking thing that came with the case which i have no idea what i do what it, i beleive i got an extra floppy drive holster thing, and then there is this almost like a faan but isnt, i can spin the middle black bit but no air flows out, it has silver casing and one end the edge bend out, anyone know what this is and what i do with it, possibly yewen might know?

Lastly i have no plugged everything else up and powered up, however i am gtting a bleep noise. It go every 2 or so seconds, just one beep, like beep............beep...............beep etc etc and i dont know what this is for. In the manual for MB it says one beep means it cant detect master drive, keyboard error, or refresh rate error. However when itake off the side wall and turn it on the graphics card has a red light and it sounds like it is coming from that. Any suggesting as to what i should do?

Back
Top Bottom