Custom Worktop Desk

I tried getting some pics for a friend when he was making a desk and couldn't seem get the picture to look anything like the actual colour. If you have ever seen rustic oak furniture, its very close to that, which is great for me as it matches in with the furniture in the room. I tried Rustins Danish oil to start with and it went too yellow for my liking, so i sanded it back to bare wood and used the acacia Osmo oil. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rustic-Oa...eboard-RS37-/292082962591?hash=item440180509f

One other benefit of finishing it yourself is you can add a rounded edge to the front and use a finer sandpaper on top. My friend ended up paying the extra for a cut to size/oiled top and it just had a sharp square edge, which isn't ideal for a desk.

I tried getting some pics for a friend when he was making a desk and couldn't seem get the picture to look anything like the actual colour. If you have ever seen rustic oak furniture, its very close to that, which is great for me as it matches in with the furniture in the room. I tried Rustins Danish oil to start with and it went too yellow for my liking, so i sanded it back to bare wood and used the acacia Osmo oil. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rustic-Oa...eboard-RS37-/292082962591?hash=item440180509f

One other benefit of finishing it yourself is you can add a rounded edge to the front and use a finer sandpaper on top. My friend ended up paying the extra for a cut to size/oiled top and it just had a sharp square edge, which isn't ideal for a desk.

Ooh, that is a nice kind of look to be fair - I'm most likely going to round it off or add a 45 degree bezel to it.

Yarp, with three coats of Danish oil!

The one from Kitchen Express by any chance?

For a wooden worktop being used as a desk there is no need to oil it. You are better off using a clear varnish as it will require no upkeep. Oil is favoured over varnish in a kitchen environment because the varnish can be easily damaged when dealing with heat and liquids.

I have a similar setup to the above but with a matt varnished worktop offcut.

:)

One thing that's not been mentioned is just how damn heavy these oak worktops are. I use a 6 foot(ish) length for my desk and nearly crippled myself moving it about. Just something to be aware of!

One thing that's not been mentioned is just how damn heavy these oak worktops are. I use a 6 foot(ish) length for my desk and nearly crippled myself moving it about. Just something to be aware of!

Yep! This thing weighs a ton, should be interesting getting it up and around the banister.
4mAyqTw.jpg

IR4qa3j.jpg

Worktops mounted on the brackets now, next up is to oil it - Did a little more research and it seems Danish Oil is the easiest and gives a nice finish.
(Ignore the wooden legs to keep it up, they will be changed to two Ikea metal legs on Tuesday! - Also ignore the cables etc, that'll all be rearranged soon.)

Using a towel to stop the keyboard rubbing on the wood too.

Worktops mounted on the brackets now, next up is to oil it - Did a little more research and it seems Danish Oil is the easiest and gives a nice finish.
(Ignore the wooden legs to keep it up, they will be changed to two Ikea metal legs on Tuesday! - Also ignore the cables etc, that'll all be rearranged soon.)

Using a towel to stop the keyboard rubbing on the wood too.

Looks good! Get some box steel and get rid of the legs! :)

Back
Top Bottom