Cutting in on queuing traffic?

Soldato
What's your guys opinions on this?

Going to work this morning up to a t junction, single lane (well one each way but you know what I mean).

I am aiming to turn left at the end, majority of people make a left there.

Traffic on left was stationary about 15 cars or so queuing up to the junction, it's a bit of a ****** junction to get out of, so generally is a bit queue there. I have seen it a lot worse. Anyway, opposite lane was empty so went past all of the cars bar the front 2, there was a gap between third and the first two, so went to cut in in front of number 3.

As I went for the gap, he saw me coming and intentionally went for the gap and cut me out.

I was left basically in the middle of the road, alongside the right of his bonnet, no real room to get forward. I turned around and gave him a bit of a look and a gensture, I didn't make any proper hand signals mind you, if you know what I mean. The cars in front edged forward a bit and did eventually manage to get it front of him when the front 2 had moved up a bit.

I've been riding like 16 years or so, and very occasionally get some dick like this, but do you guys all generally filter and cut in like this, do you think I should have let that one go and get behind him instead?

Fortunately the road bends off to the left a and widens quite a bit before the junction, so there is well enough room for traffic coming the opposite way.

Caporegime
They're bell ends, don't let them get to you. Bikers are very firmly in grey area territory. We are meant to be upheld by the same rules as car drivers but there are so many maneuvers that we can do which are much safer on a bike and save us time / traffic. As far as I'm concerned if I consider a move to be safe for me and everyone around me with no chance of unexpected hazards I'll go for it. When it's my life / safety at stake I couldn't care less about the law, I just wanna get to my destination in one piece.

(This is obviously within reason,and I'm not talking speed here)

Man of Honour
If I'm turning left at a junction like that I'll normally hang well back of the mouth of the junction when it comes to slotting back in for exactly this reason just in case I meet a pain in the arse so I've still got time to make it across, if I'm going right then I'll normally stop a car or 2 short of the actual turn just so I can see what's going on before moving out.

At the end of the day they're under no obligation to let us in so I try not to take the pee.

Soldato
OP
If I'm turning left at a junction like that I'll normally hang well back of the mouth of the junction when it comes to slotting back in for exactly this reason just in case I meet a pain in the arse so I've still got time to make it across, if I'm going right then I'll normally stop a car or 2 short of the actual turn just so I can see what's going on before moving out.

At the end of the day they're under no obligation to let us in so I try not to take the pee.

Yea this is kinda what I'm thinking, I mean the guy was 100% being a ****, this wasn't any accident. But it is a difficult junction because the road is pretty narrow up until about 4 car lengths to the end, so you gotta get quite near the end, because the juction is so crap, the cars are generally stationary so not easy to get it in much beforehand.

Soldato
I never go straight to the front of a standard single lane T junction. If there's a long-ass queue i'll probably slot in one or two cars back. If it's narrow and bumper-to-bumper. I'd either wait, or go a different way to avoid the junction all-together.

Soldato
People have very differing opinions and acceptable risks on this sort of thing.

Personally I wouldn't filter to the front of traffic like that, too much chance of encountering problems for my liking. Some do, as long as it's safe then fair play.

Soldato
Little bit of bad forward planning on your part, really. You cannot rely on a road user giving way to you, especially on a bike.
Might be the guy looked but didn't see, or was distracted, or something.

Generally I'll slow down toward the front and be ready to move in as a gap opens up, ideally when you're forward of the car you want to cut in ahead of, so they can see you. Maybe whack on an indicator.

If there is no sign of traffic moving any time soon, pick a point 2 or 3 cars from the front, position yourself as above and ready to move in, and wait there for the opportunity. Being stationary, you can make definite eye contact, perhaps even make gestures asking if the driver minds you cutting in. Most of them will be fine with it, anyway... and remember to thank them if they do!

Soldato
Always filter personally.

It depends if I know the junction and lights and how long I have on the lights. I'll go right to the front if I know I have time or just slot in to a space like you did. If they're being a bell then I'll just get somewhere safe either ahead or behind. Even behind I'll be past them again in the next 30 seconds probably so no point in getting wound up.

And yes thanking people works wonders. I make the same journey every day and people on the commute recognise bikes more than cars as there's not many of us and we're quite distinctive. Also you're more likely to come across them as you're filtering past people rather than sat in a line of traffic. I know a scary amount of cars on my commutes :p

Man of Honour
I always go further forward if I see a gap but I don't try and force my way in if there wasn't a gap. That's too aggressive/risky for me as you can't guarantee someone will let you in and then you are left vulnerable.

Man of Honour
Do you even have traffic where you live?

I used to ride in the UK.

The traffic here is just the occasional tractor or temporary traffic lights where they are repairing the passes (where people always leave a gap at the front for bikes).

If you go to the cesspits of the big cities such as Geneva or Zurich you will need to filter, but who in their right mind would ever go there?

Soldato
OP
Ok points taken, there is another way I can go, I used to go that way, this way is quicker but that junction is ****, if it sit in the traffic I'll literally get stuck for 10 minutes some days.

I'll go the other way I think.

Soldato
Always filter personally.

It depends if I know the junction and lights and how long I have on the lights. I'll go right to the front if I know I have time or just slot in to a space like you did. If they're being a bell then I'll just get somewhere safe either ahead or behind. Even behind I'll be past them again in the next 30 seconds probably so no point in getting wound up.

And yes thanking people works wonders. I make the same journey every day and people on the commute recognise bikes more than cars as there's not many of us and we're quite distinctive. Also you're more likely to come across them as you're filtering past people rather than sat in a line of traffic. I know a scary amount of cars on my commutes :p

The way the OP explained it though was a T junction with no lights, him filtering up the right then cutting across someone at the front to turn left. Personally I don't like doing that, but filtering to the front of a light controlled junction is fair game.

Soldato
Thought you were in a car as I just clicked the link from the main page and thought you were in the wrong, but a motorbike, you kind of accept that's the way it is.

I had some idiot though the other day, I was turning right onto the local bypass, lots of traffic so couldn't go. This **** on a bike with his eagle on the back of his denim vest decided he'd pull right up on my right side and hammer it when it was clear. I went as well and he just peppered the side of my car with stones. Sometimes it's wrong, but in your case I'd say it was fine.

Soldato
As a Driver I have no issues with what the OP did. My issues are when they sit next to you at a junction blocking your view..

But then a lot of drivers are butt holes

But then a lot of riders are Butt holes.

Most road users are Butt holes...

Soldato
The way the OP explained it though was a T junction with no lights, him filtering up the right then cutting across someone at the front to turn left. Personally I don't like doing that, but filtering to the front of a light controlled junction is fair game.

This, for me. T junction with no lights means no guaranteed space = not worth the risk.

Soldato
OP
So I watched back a few times, I keep a go pro on.

Basically pretty much as I said, car 1 turns out, car 2 pulls forward, car 3 is stationary as I go past, so I go the the gap between 2 and 3, as I go past 3(no way he could have missed me) the ****** goes for the gap, pretty much as I've gone past him. He still had his brake lights on when I went past.

Fortunately I had an eye on my mirror and saw him otherwise I reckon i'd have gone right in to him. 100% guy being a dick no doubt about it.

Given that, even so I think I'm gonna take the other route, it does as some of you have said just highlight the potential there, Ive only ben going that way a month or so, so i'll go back to the other route.

Back
Top Bottom