CV help!

Associate
Just a small comment regarding the formatting: those lines you've got separating the sections - they shouldn't cut entirely through the page in my opinion as it makes things look a little disjointed. I'd recommend having the lines extend only till the margins of the text, a little something like shown in the CVs in the following link:

http://www.professionalcvexperts.co.uk/resources/professional-cv-examples/

That would look neater in my opinion.

Associate
OP
Thank you Scotty, that advice will help me when I actually start applying for jobs. At the moment I'm trying to complete a general CV which then I can tailor around jobs I apply for.

To me, my CV 'other experiences' section is a bit unnecessary and I'm not sure if to shorten it and just keep the important skills or just delete it altogether. The extra space will allow me to go into more detail about my degree which I can place under the qualifications section.

Ultralaser has really made me rethink my whole CV. It horrible how I'm stressing out more about selling a suit at lousy TOPMAN than achieving one of the best things I have and that is a degree in Forensic Science.

@ Militant, I've just tested this out and I agree, it actually looks more clean structured

Last edited:
Permabanned
You can also give a bit of insight into yourself while creating confidence so for example as a statement of who you are and your strenghts can be effectively generalised...

"Being a part of any industry raises the necessity to perform well whilst operating as part of a team and also requires the ability to work responsibly under you own initiative, these are both circumstances under which I thrive, being proactive and responsible for my own projects and enjoying the camaraderie of teamwork."

Something along those lines makes it easier than listing specific points of your character

Scotty

Associate
Don't worry about length of CV (unless its spreading over a lot of pages 4+). When job searching in the past I submitted a 4 page CV simply to contain past work experience and quals previously (at my age it needs a bit of length) - and never not been invited for interview - even on a total career change.

Here is the best piece of advice I can give you, having also selected candidates for interview in a previous role:
Your CV doesn't get you an interview - your covering letter does... CV is a box tick exercise about having relevant quals and experience or seeming keen in the general area of the job for junior positions. Covering letter is what you should post here and work on to get an interview.
Research the company - infinitely easier in these internet days. Pick out a couple of points from there blurb (...I find it interesting to note your company is expanding into area X as I have these relevant skills..../ I am keen to work for a company whose ethos closely matches mine in terms of customer service etc etc/ They love it if your quote back to them something from their company values/vision and match your skills to it).

When it comes to the interview ask questions that are specific to them based on researching the company - shows you want the job and are keen on them as a company.

Associate
This is how I would do it:

I did it quick so check for typos and think about incorporating others comments, the right formula tends to vary between roles. So see what works for you.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just a small comment regarding the formatting: those lines you've got separating the sections - they shouldn't cut entirely through the page in my opinion as it makes things look a little disjointed. I'd recommend having the lines extend only till the margins of the text, a little something like shown in the CVs in the following link:

http://www.professionalcvexperts.co.uk/resources/professional-cv-examples/

That would look neater in my opinion.

This^

and also, worlds longest most strangely formatted sentence ever:

'Self-taught PC enthusiast with 3 years’ experience in retail and experience in software and hardware diagnostics, installations, maintenance and repair and Windows OS installations (Win XP to Win10). Currently learning CompTIA+, with an interest in CompTIA+ Network, CompTIA+ Security and MSCA training certifications. A Forensic Science graduate that is passionate and eager to pursue a career in IT. '

Would change it round and say you are a Graduate first off, chances are your first sentence would put them off getting to the last.

'A Forensic Science graduate with passion for pursuing a career in IT and is keen to progress. Currently studying towards CompTIA+ qualification with additional interests in CompTIA+ Network & Security and MSCA training certifications.

Self-taught PC enthusiast with 3 years retail experience. Proven ability in software and hardware diagnostics, installations and maintenance & repair, including Windows OS (Win XP to Win10).'

If your CompTIA+ is self studied/funded, say this as it shows initiative.

Was your Paralympic support work voluntary? if so make this clear. Avoid repeating adjectives like 'Demonstrated', used 'Displayed', 'Developed' etc.

Formatting needs a little work as Titles & Headers don't really jump out or draw they eye but it is nicely spaced and plenty of empty space which is good.

Keeping it concise is key:

* Developed skills on Visual Merchandising and how it attracts customers to make an impact on sales.

* Developed Visual Merchandising skills and understood sales impact.

Edit: If you are including a covering letter then try not to repeat yourself too heavily in your CV. If you're going through an agency then most the gumph you'd have in the CL should be in your CV, imo.

Last edited:
Soldato
Something a career consultant told me is that the top half of the first page of your CV is as much as most people read at first. It needs to sell you to the readers to get them to read the rest.

Associate
OP
WOW! Thank you for your support guys this is really helping me out :)

@PhilGQ I was not expecting a whole layout change and a reworded CV just casual feedback but you did the lot! Thank you so much, it shows more character. One question, shall I keep the format you have?

@Benny haha that made me laugh, I was not 100% with the summary myself. I was really stuck in how to reword and show off my degree even though its not IT based. Thank you for your feedback very helpful. Infact in my "other experiences" section, thats all voluntary work so I will change the heading.

@Quartz, I was told this as well, as I'm new to IT field, my goal is to really show my passion for IT. Didn't realise how difficult it was.

Associate
Something a career consultant told me is that the top half of the first page of your CV is as much as most people read at first. It needs to sell you to the readers to get them to read the rest.

This is pretty good advice. I know I certainly form my opinions of CVs very quickly, and if one doesn't immediately grab my attention or strike me as well written/structured then I become dismissive of it. First impressions are key imo.

Associate
@PhilGQ I was not expecting a whole layout change and a reworded CV just casual feedback but you did the lot! Thank you so much, it shows more character. One question, shall I keep the format you have?

It is completely up to you, I have found that layout works for me.

I have my employment, history followed by pro quals then my degree on page 2, because for my job experience and pro quals are more important than a degree to the employers. In your case your experience is not that relevant so I put it other way around.

One thing I would not do is use Justify on the text and don't use the Ariel font. Both make it harder to read.

Associate
OP
@Phil, thats a good point, I will keep the format.

I was thinking to add a few bullet points under my degree to talk about the responsibilities involved. For example, how Forensic Science involves a high calibre of technology, this comes from the computers, software they use. Also how Forensic science involves thinking outside of the box to find a solution to a problem, how you have to think into the smallest of details. In this case very similar to IT. As IT, one problem could actually be caused by another.

Okay, what font would you recommend? :). I like the layout of my CV, I'm thinking to add a bit of colour and change the headings to like a dark blue? There are plenty of templates on google, but whats putting me off them is everyone using them. As the other day, a person handed in a CV and her template was taken from the internet which I recognised.

Soldato
If you're sending your CV in on paper (how quaint!), a good trick is to use heavy paper. Not your Basildon Bond Conqueror type stuff, but 110 gsm paper instead of the normal 80 gsm photocopier stuff. It will feel different in the pile and cause a second glance of its own.

Associate
@Phil, thats a good point, I will keep the format.

I was thinking to add a few bullet points under my degree to talk about the responsibilities involved. For example, how Forensic Science involves a high calibre of technology, this comes from the computers, software they use. Also how Forensic science involves thinking outside of the box to find a solution to a problem, how you have to think into the smallest of details. In this case very similar to IT. As IT, one problem could actually be caused by another.

Okay, what font would you recommend? :). I like the layout of my CV, I'm thinking to add a bit of colour and change the headings to like a dark blue? There are plenty of templates on google, but whats putting me off them is everyone using them. As the other day, a person handed in a CV and her template was taken from the internet which I recognised.

Great if you can do demonstrate "transferable skills".

Personally I would stick to Time New Roman, nobody loves it but nobody hates it either. Forget colour its looks like a gimmick, stick to black. It will probably get printed off by them in B&W anyway.

Back
Top Bottom