CV updated but too much waffle, help!

Soldato
I know, I know, asked you guys a few months ago to help with my CV but I am currently looking for new work as I was laid off two weeks ago. :(

I've changed a few things around, wooded a couple of things differently and added my most recent job. But I think I waffle on to much about the role so need some help breaking it down as I am not keen on a 3 page CV. :o

Cheers and much appreciated all. :)

cvimage-1.png

Associate
I'd suggest not listing your GCSE grades. Not really relevant, just say how many A-C you have, and if it includes Maths and English

Soldato
Personal statement is a little weak imo.

Ditch the work experience section... "Ability to type at 60 words...." Not really something worth shouting about unless you want to become a Secretary.

Soldato
6 years at school and you only have GCSEs? :o

Change "comfortable in working as part of a team" to "comfortable working as part of a team".

Add your references.
Get rid of 'work experience', or if you have to have it include duties and responsibilities.
Add in any particularly good things that you've done in your work.

Last edited:
Caporegime
It looks like you've taken the wording from job descriptions. Employers want to know what you achieved as well as (and normally more so) than what you did day to day.

Your formatting is dreadful but I guess you know that.

Soldato
"Enthusiastic and motivated individual with a proven track record within the IT sector......"

Also for each job provide a brief summary then list your some of your duties.

Last edited:
Soldato
What does an "individual in the field of IT" do exactly? The first thing I want to read on a CV is what this person does. I don't have time to sift through your work experience.

Soldato
OH MY GOD. ANOTHER ONE!!!

Licence is the noun, license is the verb. The DVLA have given you a license to drive, you can prove this because you have a driving licence.

Licence is the noun, license is the verb. The DVLA have given you a license to drive, you can prove this because you have a driving licence.

Soldato
You hold a full UK driving licence, not a full UK driving license.

Regarding my 6 year comment, did you resit 2 years? Why don't you have A Levels? Have you got your dates wrong?

As for layout, it doesn't look very appealing. I'd change the sizes so headings are biggest, sub headings are big and text is normal size. It'll draw attention to your job title which is what you want.

Soldato

Regarding my 6 year comment, did you resit 2 years? Why don't you have A Levels? Have you got your dates wrong?

As for layout, it doesn't look very appealing. I'd change the sizes so headings are biggest, sub headings are big and text is normal size. It'll draw attention to your job title which is what you want.

I just think it looks very dated. One of the first things you need to do is change the font.

Arial.

Soldato
OP

I just put down how long I was at that school. I left when I was 16/finished GCSE and then went to college.

One

One

Soldato
I like Tahoma font tbh, also, learn to use different font sizes for headers and bold as well. One very large bold name at the top, then main section are large (not very large though) bold, things like education, employment. Then each job role and workplace in bold then the prose underneath in normal font.

Essentially a bit of sprucing up, fancify it, really give it the gab about how your various contracts have given you the necessary skills.

As you CV is mostly work orientated I would advise you tailor your CV (obviously, especially your covering letter) for every role you apply to so it seems as if you cover everything they're asking for.

Have you gone to any recruitment agencies? I suggest you do, even if they don't have any work for you a half decent one will give go through your CV for you. For this to happen though you may actually have to visit an agency rather than doing it online.

Depending on what others here think, it may well be detrimental to have so many short-lived jobs, perhaps cut it down to 4 or 5, do potential employers really need to know you were a temp worker after leaving school? This will give you room to add your interests and hobbies. Although interests and hobbies from which you can show what life skills you have gained from them. They serve as a purpose to show you are a well rounded individual with life skills.

Ultimately though a CV is 10% of getting a job. 90% of the work to get a job is in the interview, you have to really shine in those. Best of luck to you.

Soldato
OP
Have you gone to any recruitment agencies? I suggest you do, even if they don't have any work for you a half decent one will give go through your CV for you. For this to happen though you may actually have to visit an agency rather than doing it online.

You have know idea mate...I've got agencies and resourcing companys coming all over the place I have used/tried. Not one has ever suggested changing CV... :o :(

One

One

Soldato
You have know idea mate...I've got agencies and resourcing companys coming all over the place I have used/tried. Not one has ever suggested changing CV... :o :(

Have you suggested it to them? I do have an idea, I've been job seeking for several months and very recently secured employment. I have a recruitment agency phone me at least once a week (it actually worries me how some of them have got hold of my cv with my details and entire life on it :/) The first few I asked if there was any improvements I could make to my CV to increase my chances of successful employment, they give you a little insight into what employers are after.

I know first hand the job centre is rubbish but you should at least try it out and get as much info as possible. The key to employment, and indeed employability, is a proactive approach to your search.

Although I'm almost certain you've probably heard all of this and are doing so.

I'll stick your CV into my template that is tried and tested so you at least have something that looks nice to work from.

One

One

Soldato
http://www.viewdocsonline.com/document/nqyzn6

I might be wrong but if I was an employer in the field of IT i'd expect a potential employee to be able to work a program as simple of Office toa good enough standard to produce a nice tasteful CV, you must know the picture in your OP looks plain, boring and something that won't put a smile on a potential employers face?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I have experience of a bit of everything to be honest. IT is one of the main ones I guess. My experience includes basically, some IT/Computer skills, Rail telecoms engineering, CAD and some other Data Analyst roles.

Thanks for that I will take a look now. :)

EDIT: Looks nice, I don't know why I have always used 12 times new roman. What other fonts recommended? I always thought its best to keep to one font per document (ie CV etc) otherwise it might come across a bit tacky?

Back
Top Bottom