Cycling Holidays

Soldato
That's unacceptable! :eek:

Happy to share routes if you do decide to go.

I was there on a family holiday (urgh - worst decision ever) on the South side of the island. I think I should be commended for grabbing a rental car so I could drive to Pro Cycle Hire, renting a bike and making the most of a day spare.
In hindsight, I should have done that every day :D

Soldato
I really like Majorca, but it's very much an early season place to get the good weather whilst the rest of europe is under 5ft of snow. Been there twice and done most of the main climbs. Definitely a place you need to tick off though!

Soldato
Ah right! Real men ride in the snow anyway :D CX starts this Sunday so end of the summer is then :p

Yeah I decided I needed to go back.. but yeah the weather has been very odd in Europe this summer. I think that week in the pyrenees it was 35C+ several days and then snow in the alps.. there's a lot to be said for consistent climate!

Soldato
I’m looking at doing some cycling while on holiday with the wife in the first two weeks of September, it’s not a cycling holiday so there as to be beaches, entertainment, excursions and places of interest etc. I’ve not cycled abroad before and will be hiring a roadbike and anything else I’ll need. I’m thinking of an 11 night holiday to somewhere like Mallorca and will expect to be allowed 3 rides/days on my own and my wife says she might do one or two with me on top of these if there not too steep or long!

I’ve got nothing booked so completely open to suggestions, I’d like to do some memorable and very scenic rides, I don’t mind climbing but will need to do a couple flatter rides with the wife.

Soldato
For Majorca there is plenty of info already in this thread. I remember posting several rides I did when I went there earlier in the thread.

Routes do somewhat depend on where abouts on the island you will be staying. If you're in the south then the northern mountains may be slightly out of reach. There are some hills accessible from the south, but none of the "famous" Majorcan climbs.

Soldato
Just got through reading this thread and Shamrocks brilliant write-up which as really wetted my appetite :)

Glad somebody read it.:D

I would recommend staying in Port de Pollença as an ideal location for both cycling and beachy holiday stuff. Alcudia is a bit further from the good roads and smelled like poop when we were there and Palma is nowhere near the cycling!

The ride to the Formentor lighthouse is probably a good one to do with the wife.

Soldato
I’m looking at doing some cycling while on holiday with the wife in the first two weeks of September, it’s not a cycling holiday so there as to be beaches, entertainment, excursions and places of interest etc.

Mallorca does have all of that but if sunbathing on a beach is an important part then the weather may not quite be warm enough in September for it. Avg temperatures for september are between 20-24 degrees, perfect for cycling but if you get a cooler week or a bit of wind it might be a bit cold for just lying on the beach. Then again, you might get a warmer than average week and it would be great - it's just a bit less predictable in Mallorca at that time of year.

You could also consider the Canary islands. Of the 3 islands i've been to, Fuertaventura and Lanzarote both have a great mix of flat and hilly routes and Tenerife has some really great climbs but no flat land. You're pretty much guaranteed to get good weather at any time of year*.

*not my fault if you get snowed on or something :p

Soldato
Thanks for the advise guys, we’ve been on a (normal) holiday to Lanzarote and did the ferry trip across to Fuerteventura and my lasting memory was the constant wind, all day and night! There wasn’t a lot there either and really have no urge to return, kind of expect Tenerife to be the same.

Still keen on Mallorca and would take Shamrocks advice and stay in Port de Pollença my only concern at this point would be Touch’s point about the weather, while we’re not really sun bathing, sit round pool & bar drinking all day types, we do like to spend a little time sitting on a nice beach, swimming and snorkelling. We’re more out and about exploring types who need another holiday when we get back!!!

Soldato
We were there from August 27 until September 8 and it was hot most of the time. Some days breaking 30C. It did rain one day in the morning (resulting in our mate crashing on a slippery wet corner) but was otherwise perfect weather.

Soldato
Thanks Shamrock, I’ve checked flights and we’d arrive 1st September so I think I’d chance the weather :)

I’m going to see if I can get a package holiday with Jet2 and hire bikes over there probably by the day i.e. pickup in the morning and take back after ride, think this would work better for us as I can’t see me getting more than 4 - 5 rides in over the 11 days unless the wife really takes to it ;)

Back
Top Bottom