Dads new ride

Man of Honour
50/50 said:
The 330d is a good engine, but a coupe shouldnt have a diesel engine, especially a coupe that looks like the above.

Sorry but that makes no sense whatsoever, sorry. The BMW Coupe's perfectly suit their range of diesel engines - even the 320Cd I drove was good.

If money was no object I'd chose the 3 litre diesel over the 3 litre petrol every time - the only reason I am going for 3.0i instead of 3.0d is cash.

Man of Honour
Gorgeous, although I'm not fond of the wheels. I've been considering one of these as my next car. I'd prefer the 330Cd but I don't know if I could live with the tractor like sound of the engine. I'll just have to test drive one and see once the BMW dealers take their heads out of their rectums and let me have one.

Permabanned
Scuzi said:
Gorgeous, although I'm not fond of the wheels. I've been considering one of these as my next car. I'd prefer the 330Cd but I don't know if I could live with the tractor like sound of the engine. I'll just have to test drive one and see once the BMW dealers take their heads out of their rectums and let me have one.

330d does not sound like a tractor in any shape or form. Maybe for about 3 seconds once started up, but after that, you really dont know. The 6cyl engine takes care of that! The same CANNOT be said for the 320d tho! :(

Man of Honour
I've test driven 2x 530d'd and afaik they have the same block. Both of those sounded like tractors although they both had over 100k on them. I haven't driven a 330Cd yet so maybe it's different.

Man of Honour
The 530d and 330d certainly do not sound like tractors - from inside the car the engine is barely audiable and even from outside the car, whilst it's noticeably a diesel, it is so far removed from a John Deere that there isn't even any point mentioning it.

The only time it could be reffered as 'a bit noisy' is immediatly after a cold start.

Soldato
Yeah - most modern diesels tend to only sound 'a bit noisy' from start - if you drive a diesel on a regular basis you won't even notice it after the first few days.

It's not like I think 'woah, I'm sitting in a tractor' every morning when I start up my Golf...

Permabanned
TONY said:
What are the diesels like in the new 3 series? are they the same as the older engines but mapped differently or are they a new design.

From what I can gather, they have all been redesigned. The petrol ones definately have. New 325 will have 218bhp! :eek:

The diesels, well, i'm not sure, you can safely harbour 250bhp from the current 330d, so 231bhp in the new E90 330d is well within its guidelines.

Fox might know

Man of Honour
I drove a Passat with a PD TDi engine and compared, the BMW diesel was much louder and sounded less refined. Although as I say I've only driven two examples which had high miles so they may have been duff results.

Man of Honour
Scuzi said:
I drove a Passat with a PD TDi engine and compared, the BMW diesel was much louder and sounded less refined. Although as I say I've only driven two examples which had high miles so they may have been duff results.

I am really having trouble understanding what made you think that. The BMW diesel is leagues ahead of the VW PD engines - it's smoother (it's 6 cylinders versus 4 for a start), it's more refined, it's quieter and it's more powerful.

I'd like to say you tried a duff one but you say you drove two :confused:

OcUK Staff
alexisonfire said:
His deceased GTO :( :(

Shame to hear about the death of the GTO, what happened?

I am sure he's missing the performance and sheer torque from the turbo's from the GTO?

Still its a nice BMW! :)

Back
Top Bottom