Dads new ride

Man of Honour
Yes my mistake, I forgot how utterly crucial 0-60 was - I mean, a higher 0-60 time OBVIOUSLY means it will be faster around a track.

This is why Top Fuel dragsters could beat a Clio 182 around Snetterton, higher 0-60 time ;)

Associate
[TW]Fox said:
Yes my mistake, I forgot how utterly crucial 0-60 was - I mean, a higher 0-60 time OBVIOUSLY means it will be faster around a track.

This is why Top Fuel dragsters could beat a Clio 182 around Snetterton, higher 0-60 time ;)

kk fairenough i didnt think of it like that :p . Still the slight weight advantage and higher revs are surely going too play into the petrols hands. :confused:

olv

olv

Soldato
To be fair though the petrol would be quicker round the track, mainly due to the more useable rev range.

On top gear the less powerful 5 series was quicker (and not by a slight margin) than the 535d round their track iirc

Man of Honour
No, what he actually means is that the 545i, yes, the 4.5 litre V8, was quicker than the 535d around the track.

And by 'quicker' was it not one of their daft 'races' were they saw if the 535d could 'pass' the 545i on the track?

OcUK Staff
Hi there

If comparing a 330cd and 330ci I would think that the petrols only advantage would be 0-60mph grand prix and overall top end speed which in my view are 2 things you do very rarely in a car. I would expect the 330cd to be quicker in all other areas as it has a lot more torque. So even on a track I suspect it would at least match the 330ci if not be quicker as that extra torque out of corners will give it better acceleration. Another note would be in gear acceleration the 330cd is again gonna be a lot quicker than the 330ci making it much swifter at overtaking.
I would go for the diesel for the fact that for real world driving it will be quicker to drive whilst been more economical and cheaper to insure. Plus the fact that spending upto 1k will see you an extra 60BHP and 100lb-ft of more power and then it will crush the 330ci easily, whilst still costing less to run. Spending 1k tuning the 330ci will only see your approx 25BHP more and a similar amount of extra torque, the diesel 330cd is the better car. :)

Man of Honour
I am trying to spend the next month or two convincing myself the 3.0 petrol is better than the 3.0 diesel. You are NOT helping, Gibbo :p

Soldato
OP
Gibbo said:
Shame to hear about the death of the GTO, what happened?

I am sure he's missing the performance and sheer torque from the turbo's from the GTO?

Still its a nice BMW! :)

As max said, he was driving to work, coming off a roundabout onto a dual-carriageway, puts his foot down to hard, hits some ice and spins it, headon into the center barrier bounces off and ends up on the other side of the road in a bush. :(

We both miss it a lot, we were gonna restore it, but because parts are limited to find, and mitsubishi charge pathetic prices for parts new, he decided it wasn't cost effective. It certainly is one hell of a car for the price.

Oh and btw, Fox and lordmike, the question was how did it happen, not whos fault it was.

OcUK Staff
[TW]Fox said:
I am trying to spend the next month or two convincing myself the 3.0 petrol is better than the 3.0 diesel. You are NOT helping, Gibbo :p

Diesel Diesel Diesel !!!

More torque and cheaper to run. :p

Though seriously take both types out on a test drive and then the pick the one that you enjoy the most. Though on the road the diesel feels a lot quicker but in reality they are both very similar.

Man of Honour
[TW]Fox said:
I can't pick the one I enjoy the most as I can't really afford the diesel :(

Well it's pointless getting the petrol then a few months down the line be kicking yourself for not getting the diesel. Save up for another while and get the one you want rather than one that will make do.

Man of Honour
Not an option. Extra saving won't help and isn't possible, I'll have a certain amount to spend and thats the most I'll have for a few years.

So 530i :) There is a 530d on the drive for whenever I need some diesel action anyway.

Permabanned
Gibbo said:
Plus the fact that spending upto 1k will see you an extra 60BHP and 100lb-ft of more power and then it will crush the 330ci easily, whilst still costing less to run. Spending 1k tuning the 330ci will only see your approx 25BHP more and a similar amount of extra torque, the diesel 330cd is the better car. :)

A grand, and thats on the ultra excessive side! <£500 will get the 330d upto 250bhp and 490NM of torque with a remap........take that 330ci! Ppfft! :D

olv

olv

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
No, what he actually means is that the 545i, yes, the 4.5 litre V8, was quicker than the 535d around the track.

And by 'quicker' was it not one of their daft 'races' were they saw if the 535d could 'pass' the 545i on the track?

Pffft.....

petrol for the win :p

I'd still bet a chunk of money a standard 330ci would be quicker round a track then a 330cd

Back
Top Bottom