Damaged Mondeo

Associate
I've had my new car two months now, its a '97 Ford Mondeo, Was in good condiition with nice Alloys, Full Mot and FFSH.

Had an accident last week and smashed the front in, Turns out from a neighbour i need, New bumper, radiator, subframe (probably) wishbone and drive shaft.

He seems to think it will take at least a day to do it, and he won't have the time. plus cost of the parts #200+ from a local ford breakers.

Whats the best bet then. should i sell the car as it is, or what should i do?

Well if that is the case, why not call around some garages, see how much it will cost to get it sorted, and if it isnt too bad, then get it fixed, but if they charge well over the odds for what need's doing have a chat with your friend and see what she thinks about the whole thing.

Yep, i will give a few a call in the morning cheers.

Just wondering what other options beside repairing it. I doubt anyone would want to buy it in its current state, it starts ok though.

For example its about #300 per day labour, plus the parts, plus spraying, plus the wing is pushed back, we're talking 700+ imo, plus transporting it to the garage, gonna be 800+ imo,

andy2k said:
Yep, i will give a few a call in the morning cheers.

Just wondering what other options beside repairing it. I doubt anyone would want to buy it in its current state, it starts ok though.

For example its about #300 per day labour, plus the parts, plus spraying, plus the wing is pushed back, we're talking 700+ imo, plus transporting it to the garage, gonna be 800+ imo,

You could break it up and sell parts individually―I think that's what Tesla did when he wrote off his Mondeo, and he ended up making loads more than the car was worth as a whole :)

robmiller said:
You could break it up and sell parts individually―I think that's what Tesla did when he wrote off his Mondeo, and he ended up making loads more than the car was worth as a whole :)

I though about that, we talking like gear box etc? I wouldnt be sure of how to dismantle, could i sell parts and ask buyer to dismantle?

What about the shell?

Well that advert is just plain misleading. It suggests all that is damaged is the bumper and the radiator which from what you've told us just isnt the case.

This is exactly why i would never buy a car on ebay without viewing it first, the person has probably bought it thinking it will be an easy fix. Oh dear :p

[TW]Fox said:
Well that advert is just plain misleading. It suggests all that is damaged is the bumper and the radiator which from what you've told us just isnt the case.

Quite true,but to be fair he did put photos of the damage as well (although the most telling picture is the out of focus one ;) )

andy2k said:
Why wouldnt they come and look at it though, i mean who would spend 300 quid, i expect people to look at it mainly :confused:

If you expected people to come look at it before buying, why have a Buy It Now option in the auction since that just invites someone to end the bidding early?

JRS said:
If you expected people to come look at it before buying, why have a Buy It Now option in the auction since that just invites someone to end the bidding early?

Just seemed like a good idea, and to allow people to look at doing BIN, Ah well, gonna phone the winner in the morning.

I've only been driving a year, my first car a rover 214 cost hundreds to fix after HGF that must have been there prior to buying, The winning bidder lives 174 miles away, seems a long way to travel for a knackered car without even phoning me first. The wheels are just what a neighbour told me, i have the paper work from the RAC and was told its likely just rad + bumper+ tracking on wheels which is what i wrote on eBay. I know very little about cars, so advised viewing and posting pics, The camera cost #80 about 5 years ago, just a crap 1.3mp cheap camera, always use it for eBay.

Surely they wont pay for the car without even contacting me, seems very strage, hence why i thought it may be time wasters.

You've just plain lied in that advert - you have been told there is suspension damage, nowhere do you mention this or show pictures.

You can't just put "advise viewing" and think that covers a multitude of sins - car adverts on ebay tend to be anally detailed for a very good reason. The item must be as described, you have not described suspension damage when you know it's there. I expect the buyer will reject the car, and rightfully so.

Looks as if it needs a new bonnet too!

I wouldn't touch that car, I broke mine for spares (I never wrote it off, a white van did it for me) and made a couple of hundred but it was a Ghia X so had a few parts worth a few quid.

[TW]Fox said:
Yep very naughty :mad:

By the sounds and looks of it, it's only fit for the scrapyard - it's only worth about £500-600 in good condition and undamaged isn't it?

Guys get off his case.

All you lot ever do on Motors these days is flame.

Weigh up the facts and figures first.

"i have the paper work from the RAC and was told its likely just rad + bumper+ tracking"

OR

"Turns out from a neighbour i need, New bumper, radiator, subframe (probably) wishbone and drive shaft."

Yeah I know the RAC are useless, but if I was in his situation then I would rather beleive the RAC than my neighbour, as the RAC are qualified for this (even though like I said are usually useless). For all we know his neighbour doesnt know anything about cars. The neighbour could in theory be a mechanic, but we dont know this, like always people just to conclusions.

In the auction he stated what the RAC had said what was wrong, and he did the right thing. For all he could know his neighbour is talking rubbish! And lastly in the auction he said he had nothing to hide and welcomed/reccomended viewing, if the buyer wants to not bother viewing and take a risk its upto them!

At the end of the day he was actually quite honest, and if it turns out to be worse hes not in the wrong at all, as he has RAC paperwork to prove. He also said he doesnt know much about cars, so all this talk of this and that is confusing, unlike you guys. Then you flame him for not spotting 'Bolt 24 attached to the bottom end at exactely 24 degrees is broken.........' :o

/rant over

Im also unsubscribing because I know il just get flamed now by the usual 10 or so croud.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom