DARK (Netflix)

Associate
Watched the first episode last night, quite thrilling. But people talking about time travel makes me concerned as it doesn't seem to fit into the style of the show. But ep1, so should reserve judgement :p

Just watch it all. It works. It's the best written tv show piece of media I've seen.

If you get confused, just go with it. I did, and loved it more because of it.

When you're done with all three seasons, maybe look up a Dark family tree on the net and enjoy the 'Ahhhh' moments, but not before you're finished!, and then watch them all again and enjoy it even more. It really does deserve a second viewing.

Ahhh, crap! I'm gonna have to watch it again now :)

PS. Hope you're not watching the dubbed version. I tried on my second go around, and it loses so much. I quickly switched back to the subs.

Soldato
Keep going. It's probably the best show that deals with time travel, even dealing with the paradoxes themselves. It's not at all silly or far fetched, but quite 'believable'.

And yes! DO NOT watch the dubbed episodes. The acting is top notch, and it pays to watch it in German.

Man of Honour
Watched the first episode last night, quite thrilling. But people talking about time travel makes me concerned as it doesn't seem to fit into the style of the show. But ep1, so should reserve judgement :p
We will wait for you to come back in a few weeks and post "Best series ever!!!" comments :D

Associate
Hate to say it, but utterly disappointed in this.

Towards the end of season 1 i almost gave up, thinking about just reading up what was going to happen and seeing how it all relates. Though i stuck until season 2, and season 2 got interesting. It moved quicker, added purpose and interest to the series. Season 3 just felt like it added nothing to the show.

My problem was that it all moved so slowly, season 1 felt like it was just there to set the tone, environment and story up in a way that season gives you some shocking "wows" and some "ahhhs i get it now", but that didn't really happen at any time i felt.

Season 3 with its other world felt like the writers were no longer taking what they had set up seriously. The ending was cliche and weak from my perspective. The obvious reversal of roles and environment, with the yellow jacket and the stair case being on the other side, i just face palmed, they made this so obvious but yet the rest of the time the show let on to very little.

The reversal of bad guy to good guy and back is often done in films, i always like that, and i did in this, but normal Jonas was just a boring character.

The far future and the furthest past were very good to see, and i enjoyed those environments.

The use of many time machines was annoying, forgivable as it was needed, but how some characters appeared to know how to create and use them with ease. Namely the 1880(?) time machine construction, Martha's other world one appeared from nowhere, the future's machine being broken but was easily fixable. Perhaps i missed the reasonings behind this?

It was also strange how the town was so small, but yet the power station had lots of employees.

The matrix references were daft.

The child experiment wasn't flushed out enough, but felt like it was everything the show revolved around season 1. It seemed to get dropped very quickly as soon as we were given a "that's what that was".

The show just felt like it was a dark drama, moving too slowly, giving very little to the viewer, but requiring everything from the viewer to understand what it was about. I felt like it could have been done much better in a shorter space of time.
[/SPOLER]

Soldato
I totally missed this (Dark) at the time, but have just watched all 3 seasons back to back.

Fantastic show, was absolutely hooked the whole time despite regularly having to pause to remind myself who was who and what the main relationships were.

I'm always worried when there's an aspect of time travel, as it quickly creates opportunity for gaping plot holes, but for such a complicated mix of timelines and parallel characters they kept it all together really well.

I think to get the most out of it you have to really buy into the characters and their different relationships. The way they did this reminded me a bit of Lost, which made it extra satisfying when everything didn't descend into absolute ****.

Soldato
given up. instead of sorting the plot out and resolving stuff they've falling to the old rubbish of now making it far different timelines than the "only 33 years in each direction" stuff, and putting everything in reverse [kinda] in the alt universe, just to try adn be clever and make things more convoluted and incomprehensible. it was really well written and if they'd stuck w/ that and tied up the plot satisfactorily it woulda been golden, but two eps into Season 3 it's just got tedious.

Associate
given up. instead of sorting the plot out and resolving stuff they've falling to the old rubbish of now making it far different timelines than the "only 33 years in each direction" stuff, and putting everything in reverse [kinda] in the alt universe, just to try adn be clever and make things more convoluted and incomprehensible. it was really well written and if they'd stuck w/ that and tied up the plot satisfactorily it woulda been golden, but two eps into Season 3 it's just got tedious.
Il definitely agree S3 goes sideways for sure. They had a good thing going.

Man of Honour
Yeah never did finish season 3, season 1 was brilliant, season 2 was starting to lose me in the second half and 3 I couldn't get into.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
The show is a masterpiece. Feel sorry for those that write it off because they didn't get it or found it mentally exhausting.

1899 on the other hand... got very big boots to fill and hasn't even gotten it's toes in after s1.

Soldato
Trying to watch S3 and its gone a bit Meh to be honest..
That's exactly how I am, just finished episode 3 and im done. Too slow, too overly complicated and nonsensical in places. I don't even care how it finishes, the multiverse aspect just doesn't interest me at all.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom