Dark Souls REMASTERED

Soldato
OP
Try Dark Souls 3 I think its the best looking of the series if you love 1 then 2 & 3 are both excellent & slightly less challenging than 1!

I've completed 3 twice, on PC and PS4, I do need to complete the expansions though. Parrying was terrible in 3. I've got a hefty save, level 120 or 130 on 2 but just got bored. This edition of 1 on my TV at least is easily the best looking. DS3 was almost like a Resident Evil game. 2s graphics are blurry and was not a proper remaster at all.

Soldato
What TV you using? I'm using an OLED I suppose, with a HDR10 panel. It looks amazing and beats DSFix(essential as PC port was pathetic) even with a high end G-Sync 4k monitor. It did cost me £3k.

That could be helping a bit then ;) I'm on a Ks7000, don't think this remaster supports HDR which was a missed opportunity imo

I really need to play souls 3 again, only played through once which is unlike me with this series!

Soldato
I've completed 3 twice, on PC and PS4, I do need to complete the expansions though. Parrying was terrible in 3. I've got a hefty save, level 120 or 130 on 2 but just got bored. This edition of 1 on my TV at least is easily the best looking. DS3 was almost like a Resident Evil game. 2s graphics are blurry and was not a proper remaster at all.
DS2 on PC looks fantastic the graphics are razor sharp! DS2 & 3 both look way better than DS1 remastered due to enhanced lighting FX & newer game engine used.

Caporegime
I started playing this yesterday - I've never played any game like this before in terms of the difficulty/learning curve.

Managed to ring the first bell at the church but have probably died 30-40 times.

People said to discover the World yourself, but I did end up spending 10 minutes watching somebody play the bit I was on, which clarified what I was doing wrong...

Main things I was doing wrong:

Holding the block/shield button down and not releasing it between blows, so my stamina wasn't recharging
Not utilising the back-stab effectively. That made so much difference to how quickly I could kill things.

I was reading about armour weight, so I need to look at how much I have as my starting class was the knight and he seems to move/dodge quite slow. Is it worth hording any gear in this? I've been dropping a lot of stuff. Can you sell it for souls anywhere? Blacksmith doesn't seem to buy them.

I had always managed to retreive my power from a bloodstain and had 13 Humanity, but I went to an area with loads of Ghosts and they mullered me and I wasn't able to get back to my body so I lost all that :(

Soldato
It's only the armour that you're wearing that weighs you down. Look at your player total item weight if it is red you will fat roll - you'll take less damage but you'll be slower. I like to fast roll but obviously I will suffer if I get hit. I think strength is the stat you need to increase carry weight (can't exactly remember it's been a while!). In the end you will be probably wearing a mish-mash of light and heavy based on how fast you want to move until you level up enough to get what stats you want.

The games are great for not hand holding and like most of these types of level based RPG's you will quickly know if you've wandered into somewhere that you definitely shouldn't be. That's the fun of it! :) We've all been messed up by those ghosts at one time or another.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I whacked loads of points in to strength as I wanted to use a Zweihander sword I picked up in the graveyard.

So far I've mainly put points in to vitality and strength and also a few in to endurance.

Soldato
Its a very tough challenging game. If you can earn all 1000 GS that actually means something (your a real hardcore gamer!). Remastered version is easier though the original release on Xbox 360 was a lot harder :eek:

Associate
I started playing this yesterday - I've never played any game like this before in terms of the difficulty/learning curve.

Managed to ring the first bell at the church but have probably died 30-40 times.

Wow, I started playing this last week too (PS3 though...not gaming on my PC with this heat!), and have put in a few hours but boy I feel like I must be terrible compared to you. I've died a fair few times, lost around 30 or 40 thousand souls over that period and no end of humanity. I've just got past the armoured boar and got to the blacksmith but can't even dent that lightning demon thing (I managed to chip away at Havel kiting him to the door so he's dead, and killed the two large knights, guarding the Blue Tearstone Ring and just past the rats respectively).

It's funny how irritating it is when you accidentally roll into oblivion thanks to the lock on and lose all your souls, but thanks to the design there's alway the compulsion to come back for more. What build are you going with?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yeah I couldn't do anything to that lightning thing either, I died in there, re-spawned at the blacksmith fire and managed to run in to collect my bloodstain and run out again before dying

I've not really checked out builds or anything - just chose the knight and switch between shield and 1h broadsword or 2H Zweihander, depending on the enemy. I can now take out most of those hollowed soldiers with one heavy swing of the Sword.

I'm level 27 at the moment

Bear in mind the Remastered edition is locked 60fps on Xbox One X, so probably makes things easier for me.

Associate
I'm level 27 at the moment

I'm about Soul level 14 or 15 I think? I've lost a hell of a lot of souls by rushing things and dying stupidly, although I've raised my Mace level to +3 through that blacksmith...I actually went Cleric so I'm using healing spells rather than the Estus flask. Bottom line is never rush!

Soldato
The best thing about these games is being part of the conversation and learning from that. It's great to see and I remember it well.

Years ago I started a thread about trying either dark souls or dragons dogma, and since then I have loved the whole series :) the first tip I got there was the same as the chap above, lower the shield to regain stamina. Blew my mind

Just to touch on the above, it's Endurance stat that increases the weight of armour you can carry.

Caporegime
Last night I found the lowest level of the undead burg by accident....there was a door I hadn't opened near the 2nd boss fight.

Went down the stairs, killed some dogs, killed some hollow rogues (or something) stepped through some fog gate and pretty much instantly got killed by a massive demon and his 2 guard dogs.

Hmmmm.

Soldato
Capra Demon. Messed me up a few times when I first played it. He's optional but worth taking out. I love that area with the hollow thieves and their throwing knives and their cursed dogs.

Soldato
Yep he was a wall for me the first time too and still gives me some jip today! Use the stairs to keep distance and take the dogs out first

I think it's optional if you have the master key and take the back way through to an upcoming area, but I find taking him out to be the best bet for a 1st playthrough to see it all

Caporegime
I managed it in the end....and then I went through 'The Depths' and I didn't die once! I think I fluked that. Even killed the massive boss down there but his attacks were pretty easy to avoid.

That was an absolute horror of creature design. Games don't ever really disgust me, but that was one was freaky.

Googled it: Gaping Dragon - Even the name is rank.

Soldato
I managed it in the end....and then I went through 'The Depths' and I didn't die once! I think I fluked that. Even killed the massive boss down there but his attacks were pretty easy to avoid.

That was an absolute horror of creature design. Games don't ever really disgust me, but that was one was freaky.

Googled it: Gaping Dragon - Even the name is rank.

I loved that design too in a disgusting kind of way :) sounds like you are making great progress!

Soldato
OP
Wow, I started playing this last week too (PS3 though...not gaming on my PC with this heat!), and have put in a few hours but boy I feel like I must be terrible compared to you. I've died a fair few times, lost around 30 or 40 thousand souls over that period and no end of humanity. I've just got past the armoured boar and got to the blacksmith but can't even dent that lightning demon thing (I managed to chip away at Havel kiting him to the door so he's dead, and killed the two large knights, guarding the Blue Tearstone Ring and just past the rats respectively).

It's funny how irritating it is when you accidentally roll into oblivion thanks to the lock on and lose all your souls, but thanks to the design there's alway the compulsion to come back for more. What build are you going with?

The targeting system is very touch and go, I wouldn't use it on the edge of any deathly areas like cliffs. Well done with Havel, you'll be able to medium role( 50% or under weight ratio) with any armour up until level 50ish when you'll get heavier armour. I'd try to weigh 25% of your weight, the fast roll is very handy.

Back
Top Bottom