Dashcams!

Soldato
What are these multiple hundred of pound dash cams offering that a 30 quid one doesn't?

Video recording devices are commodity products now and cost peanuts, anything that'll record 1080p to an SD card is going to fulfil the requirement of capturing an incident for the purposes of settling an insurance dispute surely?

Soldato
What are these multiple hundred of pound dash cams offering that a 30 quid one doesn't?

Video recording devices are commodity products now and cost peanuts, anything that'll record 1080p to an SD card is going to fulfil the requirement of capturing an incident for the purposes of settling an insurance dispute surely?

They don't stop working after a year and the picture quality is as good as advertised.

Man of Honour
They don't stop working after a year and the picture quality is as good as advertised.

I bought an ultra cheap one and it has done several months fine - if it breaks after a year or so I'm not going to cry over it - the picture quality is pretty reasonable. That isn't to say all cheap ones are like that as I didn't just buy at random but you can certainly get adequate results from going cheap.

On a related note I recently had my truck in for some work and meant to disconnect the dash cam before dropping it off but forgot - quite amusing that the mechanic who took it for a test run wasn't very complimentary about the owner (me) over a couple of things hah.

Capodecina
Soldato
I bought a cheap job some time ago; it works perfectly well but has a habit of dropping off the windscreen.

The real problem with it is that it doesn't have GPS so doesn't give position, speed or (necessarily) an accurate time stamp.

I have absolutely no interest in posting other people's foolishness or selfishness on YouTube, just having evidence in case of a crash (e.g. for cash).

Soldato
Yet another thread where a recommendation is asked for and is met with people with sticks up their arse, not sure why I’m even surprised anymore :D

@OP Viofo A119 is a good one, fairly cheap and good value for the money.

Soldato
other thread is full of recommendations, as alluded, question is whether they are a solution/useful measure if you have an accident,
and thread is sparse of evidence in that respect ..
insurance companies would be seriously condoning them if they were so useful

Man of Honour
Yet another thread where a recommendation is asked for and is met with people with

There is an entire dashcam thread where people post recommendations and bang on about how amazing their personal video surveillance systems are and those of us who don't like them rarely if ever venture in there.

Capodecina
Soldato
Yet another thread where a recommendation is asked for and is met with people with sticks up their arse, not sure why I’m even surprised any more :D . . .
Yes, quite . . .

The DashCam thread which people mention so regularly is HERE, it was started more than four years ago, runs to 159 pages and 3161 posts and is doubtless full of people unhelpfully claiming "I don't need a DashCam, I take the bus." and bickering about ones' right to record sound - but whatever :rolleyes:

Thanks Spartak, I will have a look at a couple of A119s, they do seem kinda "bulky"?

Back
Top Bottom