1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dashcams!

Discussion in 'Motors' started by lamboman, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Mcnumpty2323

Mobster

Decent dashcam has motion/movement detection in parking mode
    Ie if car gets bumped someone keying it probably won't set that off
    But they also trigger if someone /something moves in their field of view so unless they approach /leave your car in
    A cam blind spot it will record them

2. Nikumba

Mobster

I'm looking at the Blackvue DR900S 2 Channel so front and rear camera is this the best system to get or should I be looking at someone else? for front and rear camera

Thanks

3. mikehhhhhhh

Gangster

I find it difficult to imagine spending £400 on a Dashcam, however, I've now had my DR650GW-2CH system for ~5 years now and it's still going strong, so it's been great value for money really.

The video quality is great, wifi connection can be a bit intermittent but I guess the 900 is going to improve on it in all areas.

4. Nikumba

Mobster

Yeah it is a chunk of change, and would last a while as you say.

The reviews of it look good, just as you say its a high price hence asking if any valid alternatives to look at.

5. mikehhhhhhh

Gangster

Depending whether you need the 4K footage or not, a used 650 could be a good budget option.

A few 2 channel systems seem to have gone for less than £100 on eBay.

6. MassiveJim

Wise Guy

I have already tried to look in the massive dash-cam thread that already exists and after looking through a good couple of hundred posts didn't really glean anything useful, so i would kindly request that the mods please don't merge this thread with that one if possible please.

I am on the verge of buying another car and wanted to fit a decent (reliable dashcam) I previously bought a cheapish one, on recommendations from "that" thread and it failed around 11 months in to its life, took me 3 months to get a replacement from the company in america only for the 2nd one to fail in exactly the same way a couple of months later.

I don't mind spending £100 or so if I need to,
    requirements are
    - front and rear cameras
    - small footprint, current one has a big screen on it and hangs below the rear view mirror and is annoying, would like the next one to be fairly discrete if that is possible.

I am not sure what else I need to look for in a dash cam if I am honest.

cheers

7. ShiWarrior

Capodecina

8. Luke

Soldato

9. ShiWarrior

Capodecina

that's cheap price for that!
    i have that, that's what i recommend

10. UnworthyBean

Wise Guy

The only thing I could reasonably recommend in that budget is the Aukey Dual at around £108 plus an SD card. No personal experience but they are a decent brand and all the reviews seem to be initially positive.

My opinion would be to up the budget a little though and get something tried and tested. £100 isn't much for both front and back cameras, a decent front facing one is usually around that much on it's own.

11. MassiveJim

Wise Guy

I'm open to be educated, I'll likely keep the car at least 5 years anyway.
    I know very little about them to be fair

12. Mcnumpty2323

Mobster

Check if your car insurer gives a dashcam discount
    Mine did and it basically payed for my Nextbase 412gw :):)
    If they give a discount usually its only a few makers they do it for

13. mikehhhhhhh

Gangster

Dual camera for £100, a used Blackvue DR650-gw on eBay fits the bill perfectly

14. ShivP

Soldato

I have an Apeman C860 dual dashcam - seems good for £64. Micro USB for power and USB C for front to rear connection

15. Lakeland

Soldato

The nextbase 522gw is not much more than £100 at the moment

16. The Running Man

Caporegime

9ut if curiosity anyine tried declaring a cam on their insurance?

Looking at quotes a dashcam more than doubled my quotes from £300 to £750...

17. Finglonga

Wise Guy

Told them about mine expecting a discount but they said it doesn't apply to "performance Cars" but the premium didn't go up.

18. IAmATeaf

Soldato

My son has the Blackvue 4K 2 channel dashcam, has it professionally fitted and to date its killed his battery more then once, killed his endurance as card within months and has now started to overheat. It’s been sent back to the official distributor who incidentally also installed it and their level of CS is just plain rubbish. No comms from them unless you chase and hassle them.