Dauntless - <Monster Hunting>

Soldato
One of the first online monster hunting games to come out on the PC which seems to be getting some good feedback. Basically you hunt monsters/behemoths solo or in groups, loot items and gather resources from the islands you visit then craft armour/weapons/potions to aid you fight harder bigger beasts.

So far after a few hours of gameplay and finding my feet it's strangely addictive with most of the beasts acting like bosses you would find in an MMO raid. Some monsters have stages were they evolve or even run off which can be a pain if your hovering airship is close to running out of fuel.

Running solo means you can explore the islands and gather all the resources it has to collect whereas in groups some players just want to get to the monster asap and get out. I'm only a few beasts in and some of them are damn tough and can wipe you with one or two attacks so learning their patterns will be a must.

I can imagine it will get repetitive and very 'grindy' but that's a given in any free to play game.

It's gone from Alpha into Closed Beta which requires a founders pack to play (roughly £30)

Dauntless Website

Soldato
OP
All the weapons are melee in nature but some have ranged attacks some you can charge up then release for more damage.

There are currently only four types of weapon with a fifth being added at a later date, some speculate this will be a ranged weapon of sorts. Sword - Hammer - Axe - Chain Blades

The weapons all have combo's and special attacks, basic hits will fill up a gauge which can be activated to do massive damage/Blasts/Speed/Elemental damage.

Before you go on a hunt you can freely swap to any of the weapons, your not bound to one on creation and you can upgrade any of them.

Soldato
OP
A game no-one cares about :p

Game opens to the public today, no more wipes thankfully. Whilst it might not be as good as the latest Monster Hunter it's actually an okay game.

It's hard, unforgiving and there's a grind for gear/weapons etc but it's a game that requires skill over OP'ness.

Soldato
Picked this up yesterday now it's launched, really enjoying it so far and I actually prefer this to Monster Hunter World. Hopefully they can add in more mechanics for the maps like MHW has though such as the whip to get around.

Soldato
I was hoping to play this with my friend yesterday. I got in and managed to make it to ramsgate, but she got stuck in a loading loop and then disconnected before she arrived at ramsgate.

Looking on the reddit forums it seems this was a big problem in the beta that people had.

Also why does it matchmake when just entering ramsgate, which just seems like a hub?

And why is there no option in game to change the sensitivity of the mouse?

Soldato
Downloaded this to have a play with my boy, hes going to be on Xbox and me on PC. Not tried it yet. :)

Crossplay works seamlessly on this so far, been grouped up with people on xbox and ps4 whilst playing on PC apart from slightly slower loading times for console players and their icon next to name you wouldn't know.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Looking at a few videos, am I right in guessing that this will be best played with a controller rather than keyboard and mouse?

I've played a few hours and it feels like it was designed best to play on controller. Lots of button mashing and combos, just feels better on a controller.

Soldato
OP
I use K+M as it just feels more responsive and accurate.

Game, since alpha, is quite polished now and very very smooth.

Overall, for a free to play it's a fun game.

Back
Top Bottom