Day out in London, parking/train options?

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
Hey folks,

Just after a bit of advise, im planning a day trip to london during the summer. Normally i'd drive, but with the recent incident, im guessing driving is going to be a bit manic. So i was thinking of maybe parking a little outside and getting a train/tube in. Im coming down from Cambridge. Any experienced Londoners care to suggest any sensibly priced place for parking close to a train station.

Last time i drove, not only did i get hit by the congestion charge and pay a hideous amount for parking centrally, I also got a junction box fine :(

Soldato
Park somewhere north of London, St Albans for example, then train in from there. Failing that, go further west and train from there. No need to drive into London really.

Soldato
Are you driving from wherever you park to 'further South' later in the day? If so then depending on where 'further south' is I'd suggest M11, M25 over the river, A2 for a couple of miles and park at Ebbsfleet International. It's close to the motorway, has thousands of parking spots and is about 15 minutes into St Pancras on the High Speed I think. Of course if 'Further South' is Surrey or Hampshire then you're on the wrong side of London for that.

Associate
When driving down to London I tend to park on the road in East Finchley and then get the tube in from there. Quick look on google maps and you can find places to park for free close to the tube station. If you are doing this midweek you have to be there early but on a weekend or arriving on an evening it is fine.

Pez

Pez

Soldato
I drive down the M40 from the midlands to Hillingdon station (Zone 6) 2mins off the motorway next to RAF Northolt. Loads of parking for £6 all day - Then tube in on the Met/Pic line.

Nice and easy.

Soldato
M11 - M25 - A12 - Park at Westfield all day for £6 and get the Jubilee line from Stratford.

This. You also don’t need to go on the M25 your post should read:

M11 > North Circular > A12

Stratford is only a few mins from the end of the M11 traffic is fine after rush hour on a weekday.

Associate
You can park on Felstead Road, about 1/4 mile from Wanstead Station, for free and then jump on the Central line.

As above, it's a nice run down the M11 (the North Circular for 500 metres) then A12 for another 500 metres before you hit Wanstead.

The same as with Westfield (in Stratford) you're in a good spot to be heading south by either going into London along the A12 and through the Blackwall Tunnel, or heading out East to the M25 and crossing at Dartford :)

Of course, it depends when you're going and where you want to be in London. Loads of the on-street parking in Camden (the borough, not the market) is free on weekends so you can park up and jump on the tube to get to places. I tend to burn down to Primrose Hill, park there and walk my kids into Regents Park and jump on the tube from there.

Back
Top Bottom