Day out in London, parking/train options?

Soldato
Why not just get the train from Cambridge to Kings Cross? Then tube it around London from there.

This, but forget the Tube.

It is not extravagant to use cabs if you only go to London once or twice a year.

On the rare occasions I go to London, I will train to Waterloo and then walk or Cab, if it costs me £70 over the day then fine. I would rather do that than use the Tube!

Tube is HORRIBLE :(

(I dare say it is something that people who have to do so will force themselves to get used to, but for a country soul. The tube is intolerable! Cabs every time for me!)

Soldato

It is not extravagant to use cabs if you only go to London once or twice a year.

On the rare occasions I go to London, I will train to Waterloo and then walk or Cab, if it costs me £70 over the day then fine. I would rather do that than use the Tube!

(I dare say it is something that people who have to do so will force themselves to get used to, but for a country soul. The tube is intolerable! Cabs every time for me!)

There's nothing wrong with the tube.

Soldato

Lol

Soldato

The tube is fine unless you're talking about during rush hour?

Soldato
That's what is wrong with it! :p

I dont have the "City Gene".

Old Boer farmer saying "If you can see the smoke from your neighbors Chimney, His house is too close" That's Me i am afraid

So that's your preference then?

You don't need the "City Gene" to use readily available public transport. It seem you need the "Wasting Money Gene" to take cabs everywhere.

Soldato
The tube is horribe. It is cost effective though, and I use it.....but hate it. Having my nose stuck up someones ampit isn't my idea of fun. Then again, London itself isn't great.

TJM

TJM

Associate
The Tube is a good way to travel outside of rush hour - it's much faster and cheaper than a taxi.

Soldato
Speaking as someone who gets the Piccadilly line every day (otherwise known as the tourist line being in that it goes to all the big museums, Leicester Square, Covent Garden etc.) I find it infinitely easier at rush hour with people that know what they're doing (shuffle down the carriage for space, keep out of your way, headphones on, no talking) then idiot tourists that think it's a total laugh how busy it gets and that ramming 4 children and a pushchair on as the doors are closing is a complete funzone, not forgetting to shove into everyone because "oh we heard it's always busy so we're just getting into it, and of course the stack of suitcases for everyone to trip over.

So, to the OP please do get a cab. It's your money afterall. Although getting a black cab in London is just throwing money away when Uber is just as quick and easy, and probably about 1/3rd of the price most times. I've lived in London for probably coming up to 10 years and got a black cab a grand total of twice. Both times were because work was paying. I don't know literally anyone who gets them, they're reserved for rich tourists and city boys.

And as above, let's not forget that in zone 1-2 a cab will probably take twice as long as the tube.

Soldato
Don't let the LTDA hear you say that, they'll be accusing you of all kinds of shenanigans :) I also never use a black cab any more, I actively avoid them. Instead I use the Uber Exec service - roughly similar in price to a black cab but leagues ahead in terms of comfort.

To the OP if you asked me nicely you could park at mine near Canary Wharf. 6 minutes to Bank.

Would expect biscuits.

Soldato
Only Does the job half the time Very unreliable

Very unreliable? What, until the next one appears in 4 minutes time? Never understand why people who complain that the tube is delayed when there is a train every 3 to 5 minutes. Our local bus is once an hour and you're lucky if that actually ever arrives.

Soldato
Until the next one ever appears you mean and your standing in an over crowded platform?
What are you on about? I get the tube twice a day, I'd say I have a noticeable issue (delaying me ~5mins) maybe once every 2-3 weeks, and a major issue (delaying me >10mins) once every 2-3 months. That's way better odds than any National Rail service.

Soldato
What are you on about? I get the tube twice a day, I'd say I have a noticeable issue (delaying me ~5mins) maybe once every 2-3 weeks, and a major issue (delaying me >10mins) once every 2-3 months. That's way better odds than any National Rail service.
I use to get the tube twice a day too then gave up and cycled instead..lived in london all my life

Soldato
I use to get the tube twice a day too then gave up and cycled instead..lived in london all my life

Back
Top Bottom