Daytona 500 time!

Baz

Baz

Soldato
JRS said:
Tell you what though....good though that ending was, close as it was, it'll never compare to THIS.

Darlington 2003. Ricky Craven versus Kurt Busch. Epic.

OOoh I remember watching that baby on NASN, hell of a race..

The daytona 500 was good as they go, damn close finish... Next week is at California, just wish NASN would decide if they are going to show the Nextel Cup :mad:

JRS

JRS

Soldato
OP
Baz said:
Next week is at California, just wish NASN would decide if they are going to show the Nextel Cup :mad:

Think NASN can be written off now. Still no word on their website, still no word from their customer services people. They've mucked so many people around over this, I'm surprised that they still have any subscribers.

Baz

Baz

Soldato
They will have one less tonight, gonna ring them.

I really want Sky Sports to have it, they have the channels to always make sure the races are live, and it's cheaper than Setanta :)

TVU quality isn't good enough to watch imho, tried it sunday night, couldn't tell the difference between Kahne & Jnr and Smoke and Jeff Burton :p

JRS

JRS

Soldato
OP
Baz said:
They will have one less tonight, gonna ring them.

One more down, not many left to go....clock is ticking NASN :)

Baz said:
I really want Sky Sports to have it, they have the channels to always make sure the races are live, and it's cheaper than Setanta :)

Trouble with Sky is that while they do have lots of sports channels available, they like to fill them with pointless crap like Spanish Football. And for some bizarre reason, people actually watch that crap. I'm not sure that Sky would risk NASCAR....

Baz said:
TVU quality isn't good enough to watch imho, tried it sunday night, couldn't tell the difference between Kahne & Jnr and Smoke and Jeff Burton :p

Eh, wasn't that bad here. Though I wouldn't want to blow it up to full screen and sit way back from the monitor, I'll grant you that. Any live NASCAR is better than no live NASCAR in my book.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
OP
divine_madness said:
...trying to watch the 14 minute long vid 'Daytona 500 Part 6: Fight to the Finish' but the stream is awful, is there anyway I can get to the wmv and not just the asx link? :/

I use Net Transport to fully download .asx streams before playing them. You can get a 90 day trial of the program at their site.

***edit***

Can you post a link to the stream?

Permabanned
JRS said:
It was....such a shame that the next race is California, don't think there has ever been an exciting NASCAR race held there.

Right, me being a total NASCAR n00b... why do the tracks make such a difference to the quality of the races?

It's fairly obvious with 'normal' tracks and certain bends etc. providing more opportunity than on another track but an oval is an oval, they just seem to change in size...

JRS

JRS

Soldato
OP
Bristol will be even more interesting this year thanks to the introduction of the Car of Tomorrow design. As if 43 drivers in 3400lb 750hp stock cars on a half-mile high-banked short track wasn't interesting enough!

Baz

Baz

Soldato
The tracks make a huge difference, two similar tracks are California and Lowes, they look similar from above, but the California races are single file for the most part, but Lowes are two & three wide racing. Most of it is due to the banking in the corners, and the surface, tarmac or concrete.
Some tracks you can only run at the bottom, or you spin out as there is no grip up high, Bristol is one such place, you get on the outside, you can go from 2nd to last in a couple of laps, and the track is only 1/2 mile long.

There are four types of NASCAR track, shorttracks, like Martinsville & Bristol where the racing is tight and contact is huge, its not uncommon for cars to be missing the entire front end or rear end of the car and do well, as aerodynamics are not important. Then you have anything up to 1.5 miles which are speedways, like Lowes, Atlanta, Cali, Vegas & Texas, they dont really use the brakes, they just let off the gas, roll through the corners and get back on the gas, the racing can be good or bad, depending on the track. Then you get SuperSpeedWays, like Daytona and Talladega (which is a far supperior race to Daytona IMO) where they run Restrictor plates to reduce the engines Horsepower to around 400-500BHP, so they run close and fast, they don't brake unless they need to pit and run like they did Sunday night. Then you get the two road courses, Infineon (Sears Point) and Watkins Glen are some of the most entertaining road races you will ever see :)

The really good tracks to watch are Talladega (May and October), Bristol, Texas, Martinsville and Homestead. Kansas can be good as well. Dover and Darlington are worth a watch

JRS

JRS

Soldato
OP
divine_madness said:
Right, me being a total NASCAR n00b... why do the tracks make such a difference to the quality of the races?

It's fairly obvious with 'normal' tracks and certain bends etc. providing more opportunity than on another track but an oval is an oval, they just seem to change in size...

Ah, but there are ovals and then there are ovals. Differences in banking angle, differences in track width, differences in corner radius, differences in surface. Bullring type short tracks, short ovals, longer ovals, tri-ovals, superspeedways....

Plus you get the really oddball places. Darlington for one - sort-of egg shaped, narrow groove, seriously hard on tyres. No other track they go to is like Darlington. They even have to build extra bracing into the right-hand side of the cars that go there, simply because they know they'll be tagging the walls (hence the term 'Darlington Stripe' - scraping the paint off the right side of the car!).

Martinsville is another odd one - slowest of the oval tracks that they go to, it's like two drag strips with a couple of handbrake turns at either end....The cars have to pull from down low in 4th gear right up to the upper rev range by the time they're getting on the brakes for the next turn (no time to shift, got to do it all in 4th).

***edit***

And I can't leave out Pocono - a triangle. Three seperate straights linked by shallow banked turns. Scene of a horrendous crash that saw Steve Park and Dale Earnhardt Jnr flatten a guardrail in the infield, and walk away without a scratch.

Last edited:

Baz

Baz

Soldato
Gotta love the suspension camera they have at Martinsville looking at the brake disk :D

Pocono is the only "bad" track in my mind.. Indy sometimes produces a good race.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
OP
Baz said:
Woohoo!! It's back on NASN....

8pm Sunday - Auto Club 500 from California.... :D :D :D

Cool beans. Pity that they've lost about a third of their customer base over this by not telling anyone what the hell was going on, but at least they are sorted now until ESPN takes over Setanta.

***edit***

I'll get a new thread going on Saturday to cover the NASCAR weekend, along with some track info for the people new to NASCAR.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom