DDR5 not better than 4 ?

Associate
Spec'ing an upgrade to Intels 1700 socket I see there's a DDR5 option yet looking at benchmarks on another site DDR4 gives slightly better FPS with the same processor (i9) ????. Surely its just a chipset issue they haven't sorted yet ?

Associate
Spec'ing an upgrade to Intels 1700 socket I see there's a DDR5 option yet looking at benchmarks on another site DDR4 gives slightly better FPS with the same processor (i9) ????. Surely its just a chipset issue they haven't sorted yet ?
DDR5 is very new and the process is not as mature as DDR4. The DIMMS on the market are very new and the tech hasn't matured.

Very very fast DDR5 is faster than DDR4 but not by much and not in all games/scenarios. There are apps that prefer DDR4.

REally depends on what you're doing with it. and even if you're able to make use of DDR5 to it's full capacity and speed, it's hideously expensive.

DDR5 will be much faster than DDR4 in a few years though as it's designed to be better than DDR4 in almost every way.

Are you looking to upgrade?

Associate
Same as going from DDR to DDR2 then?
Not the same but similar, AMD skilled DDR2 for a generation of CPUs if I recall because it didn't have that much of a benefit over DDR1.

DDR5 is set to be a massive leap over DDR4 in every way so that's why you are seeing first version DDR5 outperform DDR4. Given that the goal for DDR5 is closer to 10 000 MT/s, it's safe to say that it will become the defacto performance standard in the future.

Soldato

Most of the reviews are using very cheap/slow DDR5, such as 4800Mhz, 5200Mhz kits.

Check reviews for 6000Mhz+ kits, or even 6400Mhz, 6600Mhz kits that are now available with easy XMP settings. These extend the performance improvements are are worth it, though very expensive.

There'll be a bunch of folk in denial who'll claim that DDR4 is still better. Price wise, they're right - though performance wise DDR5 at 6400Mhz+ is simply faster in every metric (performance wise) and the way forward.

Soldato
DDR5 is a white elephant and a very expensive one at that. The cost/benefit ratio is absolutely laughable. Early adopters will get reamed as usual, and the smarter people coming in a couple of years when it has matured, when it is better implmented, and better made use of, AND OF COURSE MUCH CHEAPER will, as always with tech - be the winners.

Associate
A white elephant is a possession that its owner cannot dispose of, and whose cost, particularly that of maintenance, is out of proportion to its usefulness.
Didn't know RAM had maintenance issues but hey.

I would also argue that anyone disposing of DDR5 RAM would have their hand bitten off.

Weird analogy to begin with me thinks.

Soldato
All PC parts are a case of diminishing returns - DDR5 is new and volume is constrained just as with all new releases these days. It's totally up to the individual to determine where on the price/performance curve they want to sit - but over time DDR5 prices should drop to where they become more "worth it", and it depends on your use case what actual benefit you might get from it.

Associate
OP
Most of the reviews are using very cheap/slow DDR5, such as 4800Mhz, 5200Mhz kits.

Check reviews for 6000Mhz+ kits, or even 6400Mhz, 6600Mhz kits that are now available with easy XMP settings. These extend the performance improvements are are worth it, though very expensive.

There'll be a bunch of folk in denial who'll claim that DDR4 is still better. Price wise, they're right - though performance wise DDR5 at 6400Mhz+ is simply faster in every metric (performance wise) and the way forward.

Looking at an ASUS ROG Strix Z690-F motherboard yet without overclocking its base is 4800Mhz, no doubt even at that I should see a general improvement over my 2133Mhz ddr4 current setup ??. Thinking that better CAS DDR5 kits will come soon (much better than 38), yet my current system x99 apparently sees no advantage to faster CAS !?. I'm also looking at a C14 3200Hmz kit for the DDR4 version of the motherboard.

Last edited:
Purchased my first DDR5 kit for myself a few days ago as the price wasn't that bad.
2x 16Gb Corsair Vengeance 6000Mhz 36-36-36-76 / 1.35v

I'll memtest it at the rated speed at work on a 12th gen, then put it to one side for a AM5 build later in the year.
That will tided me over until we start seeing faster or much lower latency DDR5 and better pricing.

Soldato
Purchased my first DDR5 kit for myself a few days ago as the price wasn't that bad.
2x 16Gb Corsair Vengeance 6000Mhz 36-36-36-76 / 1.35v

I'll memtest it at the rated speed at work on a 12th gen, then put it to one side for a AM5 build later in the year.
That will tided me over until we start seeing faster or much lower latency DDR5 and better pricing.

Are these Samsung chips? If they are they clock pretty well! I have the 5600mhz kit and so far im managing 6200mhz with 34-35-35-76 @1.38v. Still early stages of tweaking but i feel there's quite abit to give yet.

fT6Az98.jpg

Soldato
That's not too shabby if it tests rock stable without errors.
Annoyingly my kit has been returned back to retailer by DPD, some kind mess up with the included paper work.
Just as well I'm not in a hurry lol.
So far only done 4 pass memtest twice as the free version only allows that, ran aida64 stability test and also ran Y Cruncher. All passed! I feel i could probably go further but at this point i'll only be doing it for fun, i doubt there's any difference in gaming other than benchmarks.

Y Cruncher benchmark at these settings did it in 69 secs.

Oh man that sucks! first time i've heard of DPD doing such thing! Was that their explanation then?

Soldato
DDR5 is better for memory throughput, the problem is a lot of software isnt bottlenecked by memory throughput, and in those situations you wont see a benefit.

Whether things will change in the future only time will tell. Personally if I was upgrading now and a DDR4 board was available for that platform I would get the DDR4 board.

Soldato
DDR5 is better for memory throughput, the problem is a lot of software isnt bottlenecked by memory throughput, and in those situations you wont see a benefit.

Whether things will change in the future only time will tell. Personally if I was upgrading now and a DDR4 board was available for that platform I would get the DDR4 board.
This is what i wanted to do, unfortunately the ITX market for Z690 is broken. Only 3 real contenders in the Z690 itx range and literally only 1 board is available which unfortunately had a bunch of issues so that was out of the question.

Back
Top Bottom