Dead hdd?

Associate
Hey all, in need of more help (so much going wrong with this computer lately!)

I have an old (3yrs) maxtor hdd, which has done me great, untill recently when i started to experience problems.

It began with much longer loading and seek times, games have taken twice as long to load, also i get a lot of stutter (even with 2gb ram i get stutter, and in BF2 sometimes it lags like hell looking at certain long-distance areas, didnt happen untill recently)

Next it started clicking, the same sound you hear if you hold the power buttin in for 5 seconds and it shuts down; but it didnt actually shut down, it just made the sound.

Then, it started being really loud when seeking, followed by continual seeking sounds (maybe stops for a few seconds... this is during me doing nothing except msn)

And just now, its failing to boot more often than not...it gets past the post and then the POST asks me to insert boot media into a removable drive, or enter setup and make sure i have the correct boot device selected; which i do.

If it happens to boot into windows, it lasts 5 mins, if that, before restarting itself, i have checked temps at the time of it shutting down and they are all normal for idle temps, so im sure its not that. CPU is at stock (E6300 @ 1.86ghz just in case that was causing the reboots..nothing!:(

Do i have a dead hard drive, or would a reformat sort it? Could it be the new ram causing problems? Any other ideas, i want to hear them!!

Thanks in advance

Associate
OP
yeah, i did a full bad sector test also

When i did a disk cache benchmark and a few other hdd benches with SiSoft's SANDRA, it returned a few errors, although i cant remember what they were.. but it only returned them on the hdd i think

This problem has been going on since before my new ram, but i thoughtthe new ram may have pushed it over the edge lol

Back
Top Bottom