Dead Sony TV - What are my rights

Associate
So, my 8 month old Sony TV (55XD9305) died completely at the end of March, I got it back today and it worked for less than an hour before dieing again (when I say dieing, I mean totally dead, it wont power on).

As its now been repaired once and developed exactly the same fault again what are my options, can I ask SONY now to replace the TV?

I will be on the phone with them in the morning so any quick advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Soldato
Someone else had this problem a month or so ago on this very forum,have a look and see if you can find the thread,might give you a insight as to what the outcome was.

Soldato
Yes it was me.

If it was under six months old, you'd be entitled to a full refund. As it's not, you're not legally entitled to a refund or replacement. I had to let them repair it again which turned into a month long saga which I won't go into. That said, the failure there was mostly down to the incompetence of their nominated repair company - you may have better luck with yours.

Your best bet is to go through your retailer, which is what you should do anyway as your contract is with the retailer. Whilst inside the manufacturer's warranty, they should just liaise with Sony on your behalf to get the repair organised but you may get lucky and the retailer may decide to replace the set themselves. Just kick up as much stink as you can and see where you get basically.

Soldato
this is why I only ever buy TV's from John Lewis

Mine was from JL and it makes no difference in the first year as the retailer simply defers to the manufacturer so you're at their mercy. If the manufacturer refuses to replace and wants to repair it then the retailer is very unlikely to override this and replace the set themselves as they won't be able to return it to the manufacturer and will end up out of pocket.

The ridiculous situation is that, if you get two failures in the first six months, you're entitled to a full refund by law. After the first year you're into the retailer's extended warranty and, with someone reputable like JL, you'd likely get better service. Between six months and a year, you're in a no-man's land where you have no legal rights to refund/replacement and the retailer can't really help you if the manufacturer doesn't want to play ball.

Soldato
30 days - you can get a full refund no questions asked
6 months - the retailer is obligated to repair or replace once, if a fault occurs again you can get a refund
Warranty period - repair/replace/refund as they desire

Soldato
think you only get 3 months cover on credit card

Section 75 is 6 years to make a claim same as your consumer rights.

If they have repaired it and it now is faulty again you are entitled to a refund and also costs involved. Best to speak with citizens advice as they have draft letters you can use etc.....

Associate
OP
Section 75 is 6 years to make a claim same as your consumer rights.

If they have repaired it and it now is faulty again you are entitled to a refund and also costs involved. Best to speak with citizens advice as they have draft letters you can use etc.....
OK I will do thanks.

The Service centre is being really good. They tested it again today and diagnosed the same part has failed. Here's the rub, the part is now on back order with Sony. Sony are being pretty poor though, I've spoken to them again and now it will be escalated. I've been told to expect a call back within 24-48 hours, which puts this into Monday.

I found this on the which.co.uk site - "If an attempt at repair or replacement has failed, you have the right to reject the goods for a full refund or a price reduction - if you wish to keep the product"

I will follow up on this point directly with Sony in the morning.

Honestly I'm really not happy. I wont buy another Sony TV after this.

Last edited:
Soldato
Did you already put Curry's in the picture ?, are you obliged too, presumably they will be involved in a refund/exchange or temporary set.

From the 'which' remark, it sounds as though demanding a refund, at just 8 months in, maybe cleanest solution.

Associate
OP
Did you already put Curry's in the picture ?, are you obliged too, presumably they will be involved in a refund/exchange or temporary set.

From the 'which' remark, it sounds as though demanding a refund, at just 8 months in, maybe cleanest solution.

I went direct to Sony as the TV is beyond the 6 months age at which curries would be obliged to do anything, after this time they would have referred to Sony who would have sent out the same repair agent I have. However this will probably make demanding a refund tricky, I will see.

Soldato
It's nothing to do with Sony any warranty with them is in addition to your rights. You need to claim against the retailer and you have up to 6 years to do this. Your contract is with the retailer not Sony.......

Having bypassed the retailer you have made things a bit more complicated if you claim against them.

have a read here..

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

Soldato
I just returned my 7 month old TV to Currys and received a full credit amount towards another tv. I have always found my local store to be superb far better than RS and JL both of which I have had issues with.

Have you tried speaking to the store you purchased from and explaining the situation ?

Back
Top Bottom