Dead Sony TV - What are my rights

Associate
OP
Not yet. I'll see how it goes with Sony tomorrow. Service centre said they would probably swap the TV. To be honest I've been really happy with it in terms of picture quality and function so I'd be quite happy with a swap. If they don't play ball then I'll call Currys and see what they say.

Soldato
I don't think he has yet, but maybe useful to tell a white lie, and now speak to Curry's and say that they had said ring Sony help desk, who had now failed to fix the problem so you are coming back to them for further advice(/refund) ???? .. or is that overthinking it ?

Soldato
Ouch, we have one of these purchased from JL just under a year ago. What part failed, did they say? Ours has an odd habit of switching itself off then on again (re-booting?) mid programme but has never failed completely (yet). However it can sometimes be sluggish to operate and has gone through periods when not all the apps want to work.

Associate
OP
Ouch, we have one of these purchased from JL just under a year ago. What part failed, did they say? Ours has an odd habit of switching itself off then on again (re-booting?) mid programme but has never failed completely (yet). However it can sometimes be sluggish to operate and has gone through periods when not all the apps want to work.

Its the DPS board, loads of hits when you google this unfortunately

Associate
OP
It's nothing to do with Sony any warranty with them is in addition to your rights. You need to claim against the retailer and you have up to 6 years to do this. Your contract is with the retailer not Sony.......

Having bypassed the retailer you have made things a bit more complicated if you claim against them.

have a read here..

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

FYI, I called Currys customer services this morning, their automated system directs you to call Sony directly so by chance I have followed the correct procedure according to Currys

So I went into my local store to discuss with them, finally I'm making some progress I hope! If the repair is not completed by Friday 28th (28 days since initial fault developed) currys will instigate an exchange.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Mine was from JL and it makes no difference in the first year as the retailer simply defers to the manufacturer so you're at their mercy. If the manufacturer refuses to replace and wants to repair it then the retailer is very unlikely to override this and replace the set themselves as they won't be able to return it to the manufacturer and will end up out of pocket.

The ridiculous situation is that, if you get two failures in the first six months, you're entitled to a full refund by law. After the first year you're into the retailer's extended warranty and, with someone reputable like JL, you'd likely get better service. Between six months and a year, you're in a no-man's land where you have no legal rights to refund/replacement and the retailer can't really help you if the manufacturer doesn't want to play ball.

This isn't true.
Your contract is always with the retailer, even when you're in the manufacturers warranty period, the retailer has to act on your behalf if you want them to.
There's no such thing as having your rights removed after 6 months either.

Although some companies need reminding of your consumer rights, as they seem to "forget".

Soldato
This isn't true.
Your contract is always with the retailer, even when you're in the manufacturers warranty period, the retailer has to act on your behalf if you want them to.

That's what I said! Even though you're within the manufacturer's warranty period, you deal with the retailer who then deal with the manufacturer.

There's no such thing as having your rights removed after 6 months either.

I didn't say anything about having your rights "removed". The law clearly states that if a repaired item fails a second time within the first six months, then you're entitled to a full refund. This right expires after six months, at which point the manufacturer can opt to attempt a second repair.

Soldato
About to take my life in my hands and apply the re-released Marshmallow update to mine today. Pray for me :o

FWIW, the update went well and I've factory reset then reconfigured everything.

All seems much the same but the interface is a lot snappier which is nice. As I've said before, this TV might be a nightmare but, when it's working, it works very well indeed.

Associate
OP
Good update today :)

Sony couldn't supply the parts to repair my TV until early May and still couldn't supply an actual date. This takes it past Friday this week so Currys called me to confirm I could swap the TV for another one.

I went to the store this afternoon and received a full value exchange, so went for they 2017 model Sony KD55XE90, which came free with the Sony HT-CT290 soundbar and sub and a new 5 year warranty - I'm happy with that outcome :D

Currys have been fantastic through all of this, honestly they couldn't have done any more for me, they kept me updated and were clear about the options available to them and myself. Top marks!

Associate
I had my DPS fail on my Sony model KD-55XD9305 last week . The repair guy was doing 3 of them the same day (mine included). I shall most likely never by a Sony again. This was my second TV , the first
was 5 years old and is still going. Clearly the Sony Quality has fallen through the floor, judging by how often this comes up now in the forums.

The TV was just over 2 years old.

Soldato
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00180172

Notice for free repair: KD-55XD9305 and KD-65XD9305 TVs

Dear valued BRAVIA customer,

Some KD-55XD9305 and KD-65XD9305 TVs may experience an issue where they will not power on due to a problem with the power supply circuit board.

To address this issue—subject to the terms and conditions of the product guarantee applicable to these models—we will repair your affected TV, free of charge, until the 31st January 2021.

Thank you for your support and we apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Affected models
  • KD-55XD9305
  • KD-65XD9305
Resolution
If you have an affected model that will not power on, please contact our product support team for assistance. If their diagnosis confirms that the issue is caused by the power supply circuit board failure, your affected TV will be repaired, free of charge, subject to the guidelines stipulated above.

Caporegime
I had my DPS fail on my Sony model KD-55XD9305 last week . The repair guy was doing 3 of them the same day (mine included). I shall most likely never by a Sony again. This was my second TV , the first
was 5 years old and is still going. Clearly the Sony Quality has fallen through the floor, judging by how often this comes up now in the forums.

The TV was just over 2 years old.

not had any issues apart from wifi on my sony

Back
Top Bottom