Dealing with Cancer

Associate
I'm sorry to hear about everyone's sad experiences and loss.

I went through almost exactly what jsmoke is about 5 years ago.

My father was diagnosed with prostate cancer with secondary bone cancer. We were told it was terminal from the start. But a combination of hormone therapy and chemo gave us two years before he passed. There was certainly a sense of relief when he did pass. I was with him at the end, and seeing the pain he was in. I was glad to know he was no longer suffering. Yes it huge loss and a blow to me. Alongside far to many regrets from my side about not talking to my dad about what was happening to him.

My only advise is talk. Talk to other family, they're going through the same thing and it's certainly playing on their minds. Also have the difficult conversations, it may be hard. But you may regret not having them if the worse happens.
Two days before he passed whilst he was still lucid. My mum sister and I sat with him in the hospice for 18 hours. Listening to his favourite Moody Blues albums and reminiscing about days gone by. At the end I told him I loved him, and whispered the little rhyme he'd say to us as kids as we went to bed.

One last piece of advise. You'll be focused on making sure everyone else is ok, but take some time for you to process.
Much love.
Shar

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

My dad was diagnosed with stage 4 stomach cancer last summer and had his entire stomach removed just before xmas. He's not been declared cancer free and is starting to put weight on (weight dropped from 17st to 11st).

TLDR - don't give up hope.

Commissario
It's not nice, I'm going through the same thing with my Dad at the mo although it's prostate cancer and has been caught very early so we're optimistic.

Just keep being there for him and try and spark joy as much as you can, that's all I can suggest I'm afraid.

Soldato
My dad was also diagnosed with stomach cancer, which had spread/originated from/to his liver when they found it.
He's 67, Refused all treatment as he recently went through problems with a duodenal ulcer and said he doesn't want to see a hospital again.

Can't offer much advice really, I make time to have dinner with my dad at least once a week. Do as much as I can for him.
We booked a holiday away with just him and my sister but he ended up not feeling up to it when the time came.

Just as people have said, spend time, listen to stories again :) I think about writing them down, but I swear my dad inflates the truth more every time he tells them haha

Soldato
I'm 67, I had/have a high psa reading so went for the usual investigations then a normal biopsy was done. Nothing was found there so then I had an MRI which showed two areas of concern, one almost certainly a tumour. In two weeks I have to go for a template biopsy under a general anaesthetic.

So how do I feel? Physically absolutely normal, I walk, I cycle most days. I have begun writing for fun. I drink a bottle of beer on Saturdays, sometimes more. Mentally I'm a little ****** off, but then I have enjoyed myself and would do it all the same again exactly.

The people I feel sorry for are those who have not had a good life or are young and then get a life limiting diagnosis. It is harder on relatives obviously as I know how I felt when my mother went through breast cancer some twenty odd years ago.

Associate
This thread is particularly apt because I am going through similar.

Mum has survived breast cancer with a single mastectomy. While that was going on I was about 20, and the worry was there but it was caught in time and she has been clear for a number of years.

Now, I am 32. My dad who has just turned 61 and has been rendered disabled within the last 3 months. Back in October I got married and he drove, walked around and enjoyed the day with us. In January he stopped driving/riding his motorcycles and couldn't walk very far at all. Middle of March and he has to move around the house with a zimmerframe and doesn't leave the house. We have had blood tests, an x-ray, MRI and nerve conductance tests so far with no firm diagnosis but with all his symptoms we are 90% sure he is suffering from Motor Neruone Disease. When I was last round I could see wasting away of his legs and now his hands are starting to shake.

While this is going on my Step Father has been getting treatment for aggressive bladder cancer and chemo has failed to stop it. So last week he had his bladder, prostate and other parts removed to try and cut away the cancer in the hope it hasn't spread any further. Yesterday he was admitted to A&E with a kidney infection and is in quite a bad way. My mum is extremely upset as you can imagine.

How am I doing? I am not scared to admit that I am struggling with everything. The emotional bombardment is intense, I have opened up to close friends and my own support network. Mainly after last week I was training (I am quite active) and suffered what I can only describe as a panic attack, which is the first I have ever had.

It is ok, to not be ok. You just have to be honest with yourself and others. For me it will get worse before it gets better, but sometimes life deals us this hand, we just have to get through it.

Soldato
I lost my father to bowel cancer when he was in his mid fifties. It was hard at the time not least because I didn't live in the same country as him. However I spent as long as possible ( work allowing ) visiting him and was by his side when he died ( the first person and only so far I've seen die ). It's been 5 years since then and now I have lost two peers to aggressive cancers ( non Hodgkin's lymphoma and brain cancer ) and they were hard as well.

I think for me it just reminds you that life is short and don't spend it being angry or bitter. Be kind and nourish relationships with people cos they may be gone before you know it

I left my job about three years ago to pursue my self employment and have been able to spend lots of time with my son and see other friends around the world.

Soldato
OP
just to say thank you to everyone for replying I'm taken aback by the response
and kind words, so for that i thank everyone.
I've read every reply and i wish everyone the best of luck.
I'd like this post to remain as active as possible and not just be about me.
if others have an update on their circumstances please update and share.
I've been a member of this community for 15 years and that's the key word "community".
once again thanks you all :)

Associate
Sorry to hear your news, and as already been said before by countless others, be strong for your Dad.

Most of my family have been touched with cancer but luckily ever one of us is still here today:

Me - Prostate Cancer - 10 years ago
Dad - Prostate Cancer - 14 years ago
Brother - Throat Cancer 6 years ago
Wife - Skin Cancer - 5 years and counting as this cancer simply does not go away :(

... and lost both male grandparents to Prostate Cancer

How did we deal with it.. by putting one foot in front the other other and repeating every single day. Also research for us, know thy enemy!

good luck OP!

Soldato
OP
Sorry to hear your news, and as already been said before by countless others, be strong for your Dad.

Most of my family have been touched with cancer but luckily ever one of us is still here today:

Me - Prostate Cancer - 10 years ago
Dad - Prostate Cancer - 14 years ago
Brother - Throat Cancer 6 years ago
Wife - Skin Cancer - 5 years and counting as this cancer simply does not go away :(

... and lost both male grandparents to Prostate Cancer

How did we deal with it.. by putting one foot in front the other other and repeating every single day. Also research for us, know thy enemy!

good luck OP!

Crikey.
thanks for the advice buddy, stay well.

Soldato
OP
Sounds like at this stage it is curable with surgery no?

I really hope so.
he is going for a fitness/lung test at the hospital
today (exercise bike) I think its to see if he's up to surgery.
it's a major op to have a part/full stomach removal and he is 74.
they may just decide chemo to keep it in check for a number of years.

Soldato
OP
so my dad went for his fitness/lung test today.
he went on an exercise bike and peddled away for 9 minutes
in the "zone" lol.
they just said he did very well but results will take a few days
and they will contact him.
hopefully he is fit enough for surgery and can rid his body of
this intruder :)

Associate
just a progression of my other thread really:

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/stomach-ulcer.18850421/

TLDR: my dad (74) was diagnosed with stomach cancer last week
In it's early stages (described as evidence of cancers cells around the ulcer) and has not spread.
find out treatment options soon.

I know I'm not the only person to be effected by this disease (cancer).
I think I'm sort of in the limbo stages at the moment as we are yet to hear
treatment options.
Part of me feels sad for my dad, another part feels angry and another part of me
has accepted that he may not make this journey and i need to get used to this idea.

I was just curious if anyone else had gone through these stages, whether you was ill yourself
or a family member.
I'd be interested to hear some personal stories of success and loss and if loss is your story
was it kind of a release of emotions to know the effected person was free of illness/pain.

my dads option will either be surgery to remove part or all of the stomach.
another option would be chemo.
my dad is 74 and i wonder to myself maybe chemo although unpleasant could keep it in check for a few
years instead of major surgery which "may" reduce the quality of the rest of his life.

anyway thanks for listening but would appreciate any replies even if short :)

My mother was diagnosed with cancer at 58 and was dead within 3 years after chemo, et al. I didn't really understand half of what was going on half the time, it was all just a big foggy mess to be honest. With a bit of time for me to be able to think about things I can tell you this. Everyone has a different experience and you won't have the faintest idea of how it will affect you until you have to deal with it for real. That being said you can think about quite a few things that you absolutely can control, and should always try to remember.

Ask questions, and I cannot emphasise this enough. You, and your family, will probably be a bit dumb struck to begin with and just nod at the doctors, only taking in about half of what they say. Later on you will remember about 50 questions you meant to ask but forgot because your brain was a steaming pile of hot garbage at the time. This is normal. Write questions down to remind yourself and don't be afraid to ask the doctors, no matter how stupid you may think the question is. Some doctors are better than other, obviously, but make sure you are "happy" with what they are telling you and you understand it as best you can. The internet is great for clarifying terms you might not quite understand but DO NOT start diagnosing things with google, it never ends well!

Think about the positives, such as they are, and I use the term without meaning to be insensitive. Cancer isn't the killer it used to be, sure it's deadly and nasty as hell but treatment has came on leaps and bounds in the last couple of decades so listen to what the doctors have to say and try to focus on the positives, without sugar coating it of course.

It depends on your personal situation but there is help out there, McMillan are frankly amazing in my experience. I gave up work to care for my mum full time and there really wasn't much family around so it was tough. A couple of times a week a nurse would come and sit through the night so that I could get a proper sleep (ish) and it really helped. They are also at helping in all manner of ways when it comes to coping with cancer. It can feel hard to ask for help, or talk about it, but it is there and can be a godsend.

Frustration will creep in, the NHS is amazing but it's not a perfect. There will be times when you want to scream at the time things take, cancelled appointments, and generally feeling like it's not doing it's job. Try to remember the amount of people in a similar situation and where possible take it on the chin. I found that whilst the doctors were always very abrupt and to the point I could see why, the nurses were a different story but I suppose that is kind of what you would expect when you think about the bigger picture.

As for your emotions being all over the place, that's normal, as silly as it may sound. I still have times when I blame myself for not forcing my mum to goto the doctor sooner, but the truth is you just don't really realise how serious things are until sometimes it's too late. This doesn't sound to be the case here, so think about that as a positive. And trust me there are times when I rage against the world because I am still raging that my mum had a pretty tough life, worked hard to get what little she had and just when re was reaching retirement age and might have a chance to enjoy her life a wee bit and do the things she never could when she was younger it was taken away. It's understandable to feel like this but it's just part of the process, and I suppose what makes us human.

I am rambling here but I know what you are feeling, to a point. Your dad is 74 and by the sounds of there are going to be options, some better than others no doubt, but options nonetheless. Until you have a better understanding of what those are, the implications, and possible outcomes, then you really are just guessing and if you are anything like me then you guess the worst everytime and that's not good for anyone. There is ALWAYS someone to talk to, could be a stranger in the pub, your partner, brother, sister, McMillan, whoever. And that's something to remember.

Hopefully things go well, and the prognosis is positive.

Soldato
OP
My mother was diagnosed with cancer at 58 and was dead within 3 years after chemo, et al. I didn't really understand half of what was going on half the time, it was all just a big foggy mess to be honest. With a bit of time for me to be able to think about things I can tell you this. Everyone has a different experience and you won't have the faintest idea of how it will affect you until you have to deal with it for real. That being said you can think about quite a few things that you absolutely can control, and should always try to remember.

Ask questions, and I cannot emphasise this enough. You, and your family, will probably be a bit dumb struck to begin with and just nod at the doctors, only taking in about half of what they say. Later on you will remember about 50 questions you meant to ask but forgot because your brain was a steaming pile of hot garbage at the time. This is normal. Write questions down to remind yourself and don't be afraid to ask the doctors, no matter how stupid you may think the question is. Some doctors are better than other, obviously, but make sure you are "happy" with what they are telling you and you understand it as best you can. The internet is great for clarifying terms you might not quite understand but DO NOT start diagnosing things with google, it never ends well!

Think about the positives, such as they are, and I use the term without meaning to be insensitive. Cancer isn't the killer it used to be, sure it's deadly and nasty as hell but treatment has came on leaps and bounds in the last couple of decades so listen to what the doctors have to say and try to focus on the positives, without sugar coating it of course.

It depends on your personal situation but there is help out there, McMillan are frankly amazing in my experience. I gave up work to care for my mum full time and there really wasn't much family around so it was tough. A couple of times a week a nurse would come and sit through the night so that I could get a proper sleep (ish) and it really helped. They are also at helping in all manner of ways when it comes to coping with cancer. It can feel hard to ask for help, or talk about it, but it is there and can be a godsend.

Frustration will creep in, the NHS is amazing but it's not a perfect. There will be times when you want to scream at the time things take, cancelled appointments, and generally feeling like it's not doing it's job. Try to remember the amount of people in a similar situation and where possible take it on the chin. I found that whilst the doctors were always very abrupt and to the point I could see why, the nurses were a different story but I suppose that is kind of what you would expect when you think about the bigger picture.

As for your emotions being all over the place, that's normal, as silly as it may sound. I still have times when I blame myself for not forcing my mum to goto the doctor sooner, but the truth is you just don't really realise how serious things are until sometimes it's too late. This doesn't sound to be the case here, so think about that as a positive. And trust me there are times when I rage against the world because I am still raging that my mum had a pretty tough life, worked hard to get what little she had and just when re was reaching retirement age and might have a chance to enjoy her life a wee bit and do the things she never could when she was younger it was taken away. It's understandable to feel like this but it's just part of the process, and I suppose what makes us human.

I am rambling here but I know what you are feeling, to a point. Your dad is 74 and by the sounds of there are going to be options, some better than others no doubt, but options nonetheless. Until you have a better understanding of what those are, the implications, and possible outcomes, then you really are just guessing and if you are anything like me then you guess the worst everytime and that's not good for anyone. There is ALWAYS someone to talk to, could be a stranger in the pub, your partner, brother, sister, McMillan, whoever. And that's something to remember.

Hopefully things go well, and the prognosis is positive.

thank you so much for your reply and sharing your story and sorry for your loss.
some great advice there that i will keep coming back to read again and again :)

Associate
thank you so much for your reply and sharing your story and sorry for your loss.
some great advice there that i will keep coming back to read again and again :)

I just read my reply back and my first sentence was not meant to sound so bleak! Was just trying to give some context, but like I say everyone has a different story and no reason that yours cannot be one of the happier ones!

Soldato
OP
just an update on my dad after his meeting with a consultant surgeon.
he is going to have a PET scan soon and a laparoscopy just to confirm nothing has spread.
up to now there are no visible tumours or mass's..
once confirmed it will be a partial or total removal of the stomach.

Soldato
Sorry to hear your news mate. Cancer is quite the feature for my family right now.
My wife lost her mother, grandfather, grandmother, and aunt to cancer in the last few years.
Her aunt was most recent, last week in fact and on that day my wife discovered a lump herself and has been sent for cancer screening. Probably nothing but still stressful and fearful times for her with the family history and also for me as I dont want to see her suffer anything.

Back
Top Bottom