Death

Associate
I think about it every so often but can't really wrap my head around the finality of it all. I'm not afraid of it per se, it's going to happen and in many ways the certainty that it is going to happen is a comfort. I won't be sad since I wont 'be' and life will go on without me just fine. I just struggle with the concept of forever. Personally I don't believe in an afterlife or heaven or whatever, but who knows, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised... Until then I try to enjoy the here and now.

/Salsa

Don
Not my own death but I'm definitely starting to think about my parents more often now they're in their mid 60s and I'd like my daughter to get as much time as possible with them.
Likewise, my parents are now reaching the age at which I started to lose my Grandparents, I see them making the same unhealthy life choices and it's challenging to watch and to think about for sure.

I'm the same age as the OP, whilst I'm not anxious about my own death I have had some realisations recently that I'm not a young spring chicken any more and although I'm quite active I need to take some steps to reduce my weight and blood pressure or I'll walk the same path as my Grandparents and parents.

Soldato
I am not considered old by any means but a dozen or so of my classmates have passed away so far. One being few weeks ago made me to think about it. I do take care of myself physically but the work stress can’t be helpful.

Soldato
As a kid I recall getting myself in to a right state trying to comprehend it. But as above, you did not remember arriving in to life and you won't remember departing it. I don't think about it at all.

Soldato
Never really thought about it until I hit 50 (I'm 53). Its weird and I can completely see where "mid life crisis" comes from now. For me its not some desperate attempt to hang on to youth, that would be ridiculous. Its a realisation that if you want to do stuff there is a limited time left to do it. I buried both my parents this year, mum in March, dad in October, they were both in their early 80s and the last couple of years weren't kind to either of them. That bought it further into focus that my generation is next, they were just over 25 years in front of me, that just doesn't seem that long now and of that 25 years really only 15 are years when you can still do stuff that I could do at 50.

So how often do I think about it? Not that often but I think about it differently to how I would have thought about it 10 years ago. It seems closer now when before it was something so distant that it wasn't in any way a concern. That said it would be foolish to let it consume you, just see it as a bit of a kick up the arse to get on and do stuff you might have been putting off.

Soldato
How often do you think about it? I'm 38 and think about it every other day I would say, worry about how it will happen, how you are just gone forever, and how i wont be here to help my kids if they need me.

50, and and with 25 or so summers left.. better get out there, get fit and do more stuff :)

If I snuff it along the way.. so be it. Given up worrying about it once the 50th rolled over.

Soldato
Now and again. Usually when I'm trying to get to sleep :cry:

Not so much how/when, but more universe related. Let's say life is only found on our planet. Once we're gone, and there's no life in the universe, does the universe still exist? What about if life never happened. How would anyone know there is a universe? The fact were here right now to observe it makes it real.

Is there a point to any of this, or just a monumental accident for a brief period of time.

Then I think, when you die time stops for you. In theory, when you die everything else dies as well. The only comfort I guess is that death is equal.

This is a great watch

I wish I understood a bit more, like everyone I guess. The great mystery!

Last edited:
Soldato
Late 30s, I think about death occasionally. It's sinking in that I won't live forever, I'm wasting my life as a wage slave, and there's no do-over. Maybe I should buy a Porsche, that'll fix it.

I have no wife/kids/siblings, so I'm the only one who will miss me. Sometimes I think about the actual process of making sure someone discovers you're dead, so you don't just rot alone for months.

Mum is retiring this year, and starting to get old person health problems, so I'll have to deal with her death at some point, in the meantime she'll just decline from now until the end, which may be in 5 years or 30 years. I remember my gran's last 30 years, she was miserable, and nasty to people, I expect my mum will be the same.

Back
Top Bottom