Debadge question

Associate
i want to debadge my new car at the weekend, I have had the following applied to my car from the garage

https://www.gen-3glasscoat.com/

didn’t even ask for it but he worked it in with the cost and I suppose he got some extra commission for doing it plus my car is unbelievably shiney:Dquestion is could I safely debadge and have the same shine under where the badges were. I’ve contacted the company and they do not “fill in gaps” only do whole cars and advised me to get in touch with the dealership
(6hr drive)
So has anyone had experience in this? Would a debadge with heat gun and tcut do?
HU3WIdz.jpg
Added a picture for reference

Associate
Dab of water, heat gun and plastic card wrapped in masking tape or fishing line or dental floss string should do the trick in prying the badges off. T-cut or alcohol or autoglym tar remover for removing any left over tape.
Do check on BMW forums or something if they don't use a pin, if they use pin then you're practically stuck with the badge remaining on or you go fill it up which cost bit more money.

Soldato
Do check on BMW forums or something

Or the Merc forums..:D

Those badges are just stuck on, no need to worry about holes through the bodywork.

As for "matching the shine", I'd be extremely surprised if even the best eyes would ever notice the difference if you didn't treat that area with the same stuff as the rest of the car. Having seen these products applied at dealerships I doubt they bothered with that section anyway.

Associate
OP
Yeh merc forums;)
I’ve just gave them a wiggle and they do have movement so I didn’t think there was a pin so should be good, was thinking about taking off the merc boot badge as well but I’ve been told that is a pin.
Last car I used a heat gun and then wd40 and electrical cleaner to clear the glue but that never had any special coatings on it, think I’ll give it a try tomorrow see how I get on, found a contingency set of black letterings online I can buy for worst case “they actually did coat the whole car”

Can't type for toffee
Don
will look cleaner

But I really do expect that if you've had a ceramic coating and then pull that badge off that your just gonna had a dull looking outline of the badge.
Unless they applied the ceramic coating before the badges which I doubt.

Associate
OP
This is the one thing I am worried about, I’ve been told the coating went on prior to me buying/picking it up so no chance it went on under the badges but like said above @paintguy has seen it being done before.

Soldato
Your particular garage may be different, but in all my years in the trade I've never seen this kind of coating applied properly by a dealer, they normally just give it a wipe around the most visible areas so they have some left for the next car (or the cleaner will pocket the next pack for a cash job at home, lol)

Cynical I know, but after 35 years of seeing cars being cleaned at dealers (and actually starting out at that level myself) they just don't have the time to dedicate to this sort of thing that a detailer would.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Am I the only person who thinks cars look extremely odd without a rear centre badge? (Like when you see them debadged in adverts for other products).

Caporegime
Am I the only person who thinks cars look extremely odd without a rear centre badge? (Like when you see them debadged in adverts for other products).

No. Totally agree. I also find they look weird without wing mirrors. Which is weird as wing mirrors as an aesthetic are terrible!

Back
Top Bottom