Decent 4k TV Recommendations?

Associate
OP
After reading what people are saying here and doing some more research, I've decided to revise my requirements. This TV is for my bedroom and it is likely I won't be sitting at odd angles so a good viewing angle is no longer that important. I've also decided to up my budget to around the £1000 mark plus another £100-200 for a soundbar/soundbase (recommendations please). So to summerise:

- Good picture quality at 4k and reasonable picture at 1080p
- Freeview or Freesat HD (would be a bonus) ... I have ordered the NVIDIA Shield 4k so would I need this?
- Long warranty period (either manufacturer or retailer)
- I am a PC gamer and game on a 1440P monitor that I love, so I won't be using the TV for gaming.

I understand OLED are out of my budget but I just want something that has widely great reviews. I appreciate recommendations.

Last edited:
Soldato
I picked up and got my Samsung KS7000 55" a few weeks back. Spectacular panel and sounds like it ticks all your boxes. Missed the boat on the price drop as most were doing it for £899 for the 55" few weeks back, but can get it for £999 at the moment so bang on your £1k revised budget. I also hooked up my HTPC on it and the panel has a pretty nice game mode with pretty respectable response time.

Soldato
I picked up Samsung's own HW-KW551 soundbar. Enhances the sound nicely over the TV speakers (a given), connects wirelessly through Samsung Sound connect thing and the bar itself actually fits under the TV itself thanks to the KS7000's raised legs and personal preference, in silver matchs the TV, but thats my own sadness at play:p

Sound wise its pretty nice. While not as good as 5.1, the room this TV in is not overly massive and the soundbar does a reasonable job of filling out the space and pretty happy with the combo. Come in for £200 so sounds like it also hits your budget.

Associate
OP
Can you double check the name of that soundbar? I can't seem to find it on Google. Or is it the KW550? I seen the KW650 which appears to be the same but different option for rear speakers. I would prefer to get the TV and soundbar the same brand.

Last edited:
Soldato
What I read, which wadn't loads and from subjective in store also suggested samsung in this bracket.

My reason for going ultra cheap at this point is to let hdr/4k standards settle for a couple of years to then go oled at a reasonable price point. Ultimately hdr and oled is the tech Im after.

Soldato
Can you double check the name of that soundbar? I can't seem to find it on Google. Or is it the KW550? I seen the KW650 which appears to be the same but different option for rear speakers. I would prefer to get the TV and soundbar the same brand.

Yes sorry full name is HW-K550/HW-K551 (not got the extra W) they are one in the same. 550 is the black SKU and 551 is the silver SKU.

KW650 is the same as the 550 with some digital amplification, but gather real world difference is minor and not worth the £100. Both can use the SWA-8000S wireless speaker kit for the rear channels if you feel like adding them.

Associate
OP
Well not sure what retailer (retailers) I will use yet, it depends on warranty and price but I think I have come up with a list of what I want:

TV

- Samsung UE49KS7000 Smart 4k Ultra HD HDR 49" LED TV

Sound

- Samsung HW-KW550 Soundbar
- Samsung SWA-8000S Rear Speaker Kit (Not sure if I want or need these)

OR

Yamaha Yas-105 Soundbar (half the price of the Samsung)

Accessories

HDMI cable

This wall mount? (Really cheap, excellent reviews, I want something strong, sturdy and that I can pull out a good distance and tilt) https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product..._sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATCTQCVJ3PM1T

The TV and the soundbar comes with an attractive price here: http://www.richersounds.com/package/tv/tv---all/pah013388

Last edited:
Soldato
Just out of curiosity and I understand it is for neatness as in a bedroom but instead of a soundbar would you consider a cheapish AV receiver plus either, couple of fronts + sub or 3 fronts w or w/o sub?

Soundbars are fine for people who don't have the space but aside from the AV receiver ie single box there are plenty of decent speakers to choose from and even at the budget end you will just get better sound with the option of taking it with you and adding more speakers if you wished to at a later date.

Associate
OP
My bedroom isn't that large to be honest and I don't want to overcomplicate things and use up more space with speakers like that. However, I do have a pair of razer mako 2.1 for my pc, could I use those? Or would getting a sound bar be better? I just want better audio than the TV would have out of the box.

Caporegime
My bedroom isn't that large to be honest and I don't want to overcomplicate things and use up more space with speakers like that. However, I do have a pair of razer mako 2.1 for my pc, could I use those? Or would getting a sound bar be better? I just want better audio than the TV would have out of the box.

how would you connect them?

soundbars use optical in or hdmi in. pc speakers may use optical but not hdmi. usually rca.

ideally you want a soundbar which acts like an avr where you feed all hdmi into it then 1 hdmi into the tv.

with your budget and now revised requirements you could get a larger tv than 49" however the ks7000 is pretty good.

decent soundbars ain't cheap. the yamaha yas range is pants. it's the yamaha YSP range that is decent. I should know because i have owned a YAS and upgraded to YSP and then bought another YSP for a relative.

the YSP range ain't cheap. again it depends on what your used to. if your used to crap sound then yes a £100 soundbar might sound decent to you. if your used to high end audio equipment then you could easily spend up to £1500 on just a soundbar for instance.

using pc speakers doesn't really work unless you only have 1 or 2 sources you will be feeding the tv as usually they don't come with many inputs. however they do sound very good for the money simply because bigger speakers means bigger sound. soundbars tend to be small in height so have small speakers therefore a small sound.

if you just want better sound than your tv go with the samsung deal from richer sounds.

if you want a decent warranty then the only 2 retailers you want to be buying from is john lewis or richer sounds. forget all other retailers.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
how would you connect them?

soundbars use optical in or hdmi in. pc speakers may use optical but not hdmi. usually rca.

ideally you want a soundbar which acts like an avr where you feed all hdmi into it then 1 hdmi into the tv.

with your budget and now revised requirements you could get a larger tv than 49" however the ks7000 is pretty good.

decent soundbars ain't cheap. the yamaha yas range is pants. it's the yamaha YSP range that is decent. I should know because i have owned a YAS and upgraded to YSP and then bought another YSP for a relative.

the YSP range ain't cheap. again it depends on what your used to. if your used to crap sound then yes a £100 soundbar might sound decent to you. if your used to high end audio equipment then you could easily spend up to £1500 on just a soundbar for instance.

using pc speakers doesn't really work unless you only have 1 or 2 sources you will be feeding the tv as usually they don't come with many inputs. however they do sound very good for the money simply because bigger speakers means bigger sound. soundbars tend to be small in height so have small speakers therefore a small sound.

if you just want better sound than your tv go with the samsung deal from richer sounds.

if you want a decent warranty then the only 2 retailers you want to be buying from is john lewis or richer sounds. forget all other retailers.

So if I would go with a larger TV then get the 55 inch version of the Ks7000? Which yamaha YSP model should I get? I don't want to spend £500 on sound but a couple of hundred would be fine. Also how do the various YSP models compare to the Samsung HW K550/650?

Last edited:
Caporegime
So if I would go with a larger TV then get the 55 inch version of the Ks7000? Which yamaha YSP model should I get? I don't want to spend £500 on sound but a couple of hundred would be fine. Also how do the various YSP models compare to the Samsung HW K550/650?

yeah you could get the 55" version that extra 6 inches will make a big difference and show the benefits of 4K even more so.

https://www.avforums.com/homecinema/reviews/soundbars.68

knock yourself out that has all the info you need on soundbars including the ones your mentioning

however I'll give you a hint

"What are my alternatives?

As we mentioned at the beginning of this review, the sub-£200 soundbar market is a hugely competitive one, so the YAS-105 does well to hold its own. However if you're looking for an alternative then Samsung's excellent HW-K450 is a great choice. It also costs £199 but for that you get a wireless subwoofer an HDMI input and output, making it exceptional value for money. It's a lovely looking and well made soundbar with a great performance and a decent set of features. We struggled to find any faults when we reviewed the HW-K450, which is why we awarded it a Best Buy badge."

Best under £200 is the K450

"What else is there?
The first soundbar that came to mind as an alternative is the Q Acoustics M4 which is highly comparable in terms of sound quality and costs roughly the same but it lacks HDMI connectivity, if that’s important to you. Also priced at £349 is the Samsung HW-K550 which doesn’t sound quite as accomplished as the YSP-1600 in terms of its all-round capabilities but it does have HDMI connectivity and slightly more low-end thanks to a dedicated wireless subwoofer. The Cambridge Audio TVB2 is another one to consider and that sports 4 HDMI inputs, sounds comparable to the Samsung and is priced at £329"

Best under £400 is the Yamaha YSP 1600 it supports 4K

Last edited:
Soldato
yeah you could get the 55" version that extra 6 inches will make a big difference and show the benefits of 4K even more so.

https://www.avforums.com/homecinema/reviews/soundbars.68

knock yourself out that has all the info you need on soundbars including the ones your mentioning

however I'll give you a hint

"What are my alternatives?

As we mentioned at the beginning of this review, the sub-£200 soundbar market is a hugely competitive one, so the YAS-105 does well to hold its own. However if you're looking for an alternative then Samsung's excellent HW-K450 is a great choice. It also costs £199 but for that you get a wireless subwoofer an HDMI input and output, making it exceptional value for money. It's a lovely looking and well made soundbar with a great performance and a decent set of features. We struggled to find any faults when we reviewed the HW-K450, which is why we awarded it a Best Buy badge."

Best under £200 is the K450

"What else is there?
The first soundbar that came to mind as an alternative is the Q Acoustics M4 which is highly comparable in terms of sound quality and costs roughly the same but it lacks HDMI connectivity, if that’s important to you. Also priced at £349 is the Samsung HW-K550 which doesn’t sound quite as accomplished as the YSP-1600 in terms of its all-round capabilities but it does have HDMI connectivity and slightly more low-end thanks to a dedicated wireless subwoofer. The Cambridge Audio TVB2 is another one to consider and that sports 4 HDMI inputs, sounds comparable to the Samsung and is priced at £329"

Best under £400 is the Yamaha YSP 1600 it supports 4K

AV Forums price for the Samsung's are really out of date. The HW-K550 is only around the £200-£220 mark (well the silver 551 is) and the HW-K450 is £150-£170

Last edited:
Caporegime
Soldato
Associate
OP
I have decided on the Samsung 55KS8000 with HWK650 soundbar. I have found a bundle deal on Richersounds that have this all for £1598 (with a free Blueray player) so I think this is what I am going to go for. If anyone can recommend me a better sound system for the same price, please do let me know or alternatively some additional speakers to go at the rear of the room that would be compatible with the soundbar, this would be good.

Last edited:
Associate
I have decided on the Samsung 55KS8000 with HWK650 soundbar. I have found a bundle deal on Richersounds that have this all for £1598 (with a free Blueray player) so I think this is what I am going to go for. If anyone can recommend me a better sound system for the same price, please do let me know or alternatively some additional speakers to go at the rear of the room that would be compatible with the soundbar, this would be good.

How are you getting on with this set-up? I'm looking to go for a similar deal with richersounds but with 49 inch version.

Back
Top Bottom