Decent Garage Racking

Soldato
I'm tired of browsing duplicate listings and will rely on your collective knowledge. :D

Trying to find some decent garage racking but all the stuff on ebay / amazon looks a bit flimsy.

Ideally need bays 2m high and enough to fill a back wall length of 2.7m but more importantly some that have decent shelf strength rather all the thin MDF stuff I've seen so far.

Any recommendations? Don't want to spend silly money as its only to sort all the junk we've collected over the years but doesn't need to be bargain basement either.

I'd be very interested to hear what suggestions people come up with as well. I've looked at a lot of racking on amazon, fleabay, screwfix etc and unless you pay silly money it's garbage! I've just moved house and I need to sort out the massive pile of stuff that needs to go in the garage.

Is there such a thing as second-hand warehouse equipment?

I'd be very interested to hear what suggestions people come up with as well. I've looked at a lot of racking on amazon, fleabay, screwfix etc and unless you pay silly money it's garbage! I've just moved house and I need to sort out the massive pile of stuff that needs to go in the garage.

Is there such a thing as second-hand warehouse equipment?

See years ago we managed to get some really good metal shelving which was an old shop display but sadly lost it in the house move.

Had a look a Makro / B&Q / Screwfix but there stuff looks even worse

As long as it's strong with decent shelf height gaps for boxes and doesn't cut cut through arteries by brushing past it then we are on to a winner! :D

I bought the cheap ones on eBay that slots together. Yes they are thing gauge metal and thin chipboard shelves however once I bolts them to the wall they were fairly sturdy. Or you could build your own, fairly easy to do.

I bought a number of items from the standard version of this range: https://www.esedirect.co.uk/s-25-industrial-just-shelving.aspx

Really good quality but with shelves that are fairly thin (so more space) due to the 18mm wood sitting inside the frame not on top. Compared to units that were half to two thirds the price from Argos, Screwfix etc these are way better as the metalwork is so much thicker and not rolled edges. They have solid interlocking locking plates, ground plates and you can buy extra shelves if required.

I am using these in my shed.. Cheap'ish.. hammer together affair.. from Swift..

cogr4gp.jpg

They're sturdy as i've interlinked them and fixed them to the wall.

Now that's exactly what I need. In fact it looks like what we have here at work!

Edit: Found Swift - are those light, medium or heavy duty?

Last edited:
I've bought from BigDug twice and MachineMart once on the tab and slot design shelves. Both makes have been pretty sturdy and if connected together and attached to the wall solidly stable.

The BigDug ones were erected on both occasions using the power of cuss words and swearing and the loss of significant flesh from the hands.
The MachineMart ones tapped together beautifully and were a joy to work with.

BigDug was cheaper MachineMart was better build quality. My twopenneth.

I have also built my own shelves variously from steel and ply, which was quite hard to do as I went for a bolted constructed, next time I'll weld. Super strong but mega levels of effort.

I have also routed rebates into softwood uprights and tapped in MDF shelves and used a single screw to hold each joint together. These were moderately time intensive learning the technique but are very nicely made and bespoke to my needs. These were the cheapest but probably lowest strength of all the solutions.

Have these from Costco and they're very sturdy. Don't let the price put you off, they're about £45 in store.

http://m.costco.co.uk/view/p/whalen-5-tier-48-121cm-step-beam-heavy-duty-storage-shelf-rack-625073

Got a pair of these units myself and they cost £90 total in store.

58807A18-D05A-4241-BDEE-4EDE5488888A_zpsqvu6oaol.jpg

They are exceptionally sturdy with a total load capacity of each unit being over 1 ton

Back
Top Bottom