Decisions Decisions.. Rift vs Vive

Soldato
Well we had a tiny problem in that there was only one HDMI slot on the graphics card (other slot is DP) so I had to plug the monitor HDMI into the motherboard and the vice HDMI into the graphics card. Will be buying a HDMI DP cable though.

Games

Space pirate trainer. Very easy to pick and play for short periods. Good fun

Cloudland's mini golf vr
First time we tried it had bad ghosting but when tried it layer it was fine. Great game. You can design and upload your own courses as well. Very easy to play with vice controller.

Tilt Brush. Fabulous game for creative folk and artists sculptors. Everyone who tried it loved it. Though when we loaded some of the other designs we did get some flickering.

Chair in a Room green water

Only one I've tried which is technically proper room scale.
Quite impressed with how this is implemented. We have a room of 3.3 x 2.1 so we could walk around a bit and the teleporting was very smoothly implemented. Great spooky atmosphere in this game. Although it is extremely slow as you get stuck a lot. I hot stuck in the 2nd room
As the story didn't progress. This is definitely a game I will get for the oculus

Stuff that didn't work. The lab and google earth. I have a feeling this due to how I have juryrigged the 2 displays.

As to the vive

Setting up the base station sensors was very easy and quick IMO
I think the vive has smoother and easier implementation of its vr e.g. you can browse steam from within the headset no problem

So the tracking system of the Vive is much better than the Oculus IMO. Makes me wonder why oculus went their route. Standing and interacting with environments is the way to go IMO.

The vive headset.

I found the straps and faffing with it to get it comfortable is IMO worse than the Oculus. However I think the foam the Vive uses is softer and feels better on your face if that makes sense.

The weight is heavier though. The oculus distribution of weight is better.

The actual display

Slightly more noticeable screen door on the Vive IMO
Vive screen is brighter. Very noticeable. Resolution appearance look the same.

Also Vive does not suffer the double sort of vision that the Oculus suffers and that you have to try and ignore.
I think you have either you will be happy with it tbh.

Oh almost forgot. Far more room in the Vive for users with glasses. With oculus glasses feel very tight on forehead

Last edited:
Associate
The Vive can be finickety on a DP port depending on your GPU - keep it on raw HDMI if possible and switch the monitor to DP (or DP to HDMI).

It's weird that the Lab and Google Earth flaked out though. Sometimes certain titles refuse to start up after others, so just try restarting SteamVR and try again.

Soldato
What I did with the two displays shouldn't have worked tbh lol. I had a similar problem when I first set up the oculus and it didn't work. I tried going dvi hdmi with oculus but it wouldn't work.

I will do HDMI DP for the monitor and keep the vive on HDMI.

Get the cable in a couple days my nephew will let me know it works or not.

He's not exactly PC savvy though he caught the cassiopesa browser hijack

Soldato
I think fov is slightly wider on the vive as well.

Chair in a room hrrmm it has potential I eventually got to CH 3 (each chapter has been very short gameplay wise) the bit on the boat was extremely boring. In ch3 I got to the bit where police are outside but game isn't scary unfortunately. I hope the devs can hone their skills learnt from this in their next game. Game is worth £6 IMO. 3/5

Soldato
Great cheers dude. Hoping another one crops up in the mm. could you play battlefield 4 on it or only specific vr games?

You can use cinema mode to play any game(its like having a massive cinema screen in front of you) but you have to use 3rd party software like vorpx if you want a sudo 3d vr experience, plenty of vids on youtube about vorpx. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPs4I6YroLs

Associate
I'm currently going through the same. I have a DK2 & love it, BUT.

My problems are:

the touch controllers look much better.

But Oculus are ******** with the walled garden thing. I would prefer to go valve.

& Fallout VR might be Vive exclusive? I dont know whats going on with this but the whole zenimax vs oculus thing has me a bit worried, they could seriously mess with oculus by making it Vive exclusive.

But yeah, the touch controllers look so much better

Soldato
I went with Vive for roomscale, there's and extra dimension in being able to walk around in virtual space, it really feels like you're there. If you have the room, it is awesome.

Also the controllers are excellent.

Plus Valve.

Associate
I went with Vive for roomscale, there's and extra dimension in being able to walk around in virtual space, it really feels like you're there. If you have the room, it is awesome.

Plus Valve.

Hi,

Out of interest, what room scale games do you recommend?
I have a 3x3m play space with my oculus touch. But up to now, i have 0 games that need all this space.
As i was stuck with sit down gaming with a controller, i have never really kept up to date with all the vive roomscale goodies.
I have setup a full room just for this, so need to get some games.
Steam literally has hundreds of vr games. It feels like a lottery, as the prices vary quite a bit. Hard to know the good from the bad.
I have tried most the usual suspects, eg space pirate, the lab, vr tennis. But these are all games that got recommended to me when i was only using 2 oculus sensors.
SO lets see what three sensors and proper made for roomscale games are like!!!

Associate

Plus Valve.

I am too i think. I have a biggish front room. Plus third party peripherals.

Plus valve

Back
Top Bottom