Defib in a box

Man of Honour
I'm hoping people in this busy office know how to use a phone?

999 operators could talk a child through using an AED, it's such a simple process. It's covered in pictures and the damned thing bosses you around until you get it right.

On another note, it does show how good the design is of these things that they are so easy to operate.

Man of Honour
When I was doing some training with the fire service, these popped up as they are carried on the appliances and the training was basically open it slap the pads on and listen to the box.
If you can't operate one then it's probably time you just went back to bed and stayed there for everyone's sake.

Caporegime
I'm regularly cardioverted due to atrial fibrillation attacks, so I would know where the pads go. I assume it's still one on the chest and one under the left armpit.

Had ventricular tachycardia once (truly thought I was a gonna), but luckily it snapped out of it naturally. Still had an implantable defib though just in case it happened again, which it hasn't (touchwood).

Contrary to what you see on TV dramas, shocks are never actually administered by a human. The optimal time for a shock (end of the Q wave or something like that) is so narrow, that only a computer can really hit it bang on.

Soldato
My local paper each week has a list of where all the defibrillators are in town, and has a short paragraph on when they should be used. Except, as far as I know, their paragraph is wrong, talking about a stopped heart, not one that's out of rhythm.

Associate
To be fair, there's nothing wrong with a bit of training. However you're encouraged to attempt to use one without any training, should someone be showing signs of cardiac arrest. The resuscitation council is very clear on this.

"While it is highly desirable that those who may be called upon to use an AED should be trained in their use, and keep their skills up to date, circumstances can dictate that no trained operator (or a trained operator whose certificate of training has expired) is present at the site of an emergency. Under these circumstances no inhibitions should be placed on any person willing to use an AED".

I think Burnsys comment is slightly naive, and somewhat worrying. Training in medical emergencies and the correct use of an AED should not be frowned upon.

Not sure if you are aware, but modern defibrillators do not have a lot of controls.

Most have a big red on button. When you turn them on they actually talk to you. There are really simple and have really simple pictures on where to stick the pads.

They talk you through the process and will not shock if the heart is not having problems. If you stick one on a person with a healthy heart they will not do anything at all.

The machine delivers the shock not you so you don't even need to press the buttons.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not sure if you are aware, but modern defibrillators do not have a lot of controls.

Most have a big red on button. When you turn them on they actually talk to you. There are really simple and have really simple pictures on where to stick the pads.

They talk you through the process and will not shock if the heart is not having problems. If you stick one on a person with a healthy heart they will not do anything at all.

The machine delivers the shock not you so you don't even need to press the buttons.

So basically, any halfwit at University should be able to use it. Good to know!

Soldato
They're designed for idiots. The ones I've seen not only speak in the most basic easy to follow way they also include large pictures showing what to do. Not even a button on the ones I've seen as soon as you open the case it tells you to remove the red pad cover and place in center of chest then to remove the green pads cover and place on the left side of the chest at elbow height then it tells you to back off and gets on with its work.

Perfect I imagine for someone who's under huge stress trying to save someone's life.

Associate
Very basic and simple to use. I think there should be more of them in public places and work places.

It's still important for people to learn CPR as it's required in between shocking someone and the AEDs don't shock people who are asystolic.

Associate

I am aware of how a modern AED works, my point is that 95% of the general public don't. Just because those who have received training understand just how simple they are, doesn't mean that Joe Bloggs who has never seen or let alone used one would have the understanding of how they worked of even be able to identify one.

How about asking people in your workplace what they would do if you suddenly collapsed and turned blue. Or ask the question of what is an automated external defibrillator and if they would be confident in using one.

The fact is, the AED is an excellent piece of kit that should be installed in most public establishments, and training in basic CPR coupled with an understanding of an AED should also be mandatory in all workplaces.

Associate
I am aware of how a modern AED works, my point is that 95% of the general public don't. Just because those who have received training understand just how simple they are, doesn't mean that Joe Bloggs who has never seen or let alone used one would have the understanding of how they worked of even be able to identify one.

How about asking people in your workplace what they would do if you suddenly collapsed and turned blue. Or ask the question of what is an automated external defibrillator and if they would be confident in using one.

The fact is, the AED is an excellent piece of kit that should be installed in most public establishments, and training in basic CPR coupled with an understanding of an AED should also be mandatory in all workplaces.

Fairly confident that quite a few people in my workplace would be able to use one. I'm fairly confident that most people in my workplace would be able to find the Defib unit that we have as well. I'm fairly confident that most people would know what to do if I fell over blue in the face - firstly it wouldn't be to put a defib on me, it would be to

a) check for danger
b) check for a response
c) shout for help
d) check airway isn't obstructed
e) check that I'm breathing
f) check that I have a pulse

I suppose being a Police Constable and working in a Police Station with over 200 staff might have something to do with it though..... :)

I do get your point though that a lot of people wouldn't know where they are in public - that is down the crap systems we have in place. They should be mandatory in all public building along with any shop/premises that employs more than 30 staff (that would see them dotting around most of the High Streets).

They should then run an advertising campaign like the Vinnie Jones advert a few years ago.

If you can switch on a mobile phone, you can use a Defib.

Associate
f) check that I have a pulse

:mad:

All good until there

DtgnqWYl.png.jpg oxabMefl.png.jpg

Unless your regularly (i.e. multiple times per average working day) checking for carotid/other pulses then not breathing normally = get on the chest.

I love the idea of AED's everywhere but I would hate to think of a lone responder leaving to retrieve one. Even if I only had another responder then I wouldn't send them if it would leave me alone for more than two-three minutes. Much rather responders concentrated on high quality continuous compressions.

Anyone know what an AED does with pulse present VT (but GCS 3/15) patient? I know it is rare and there is a high likelyhood of it degrading to pulseless VT/VF/PEA/Asystole but surely there are large risks with a non synchronised shock?

Last edited:
Caporegime
How do you know they don't ? We have one in our building, but it sits behind reception at, so you wouldn't see it.

Well that's pretty stupid, the whole point of them is that they should be accessible to anyone, not hidden behind a desk.

Don't know why that picture says call 999 if they are not breathing normally, 999 should always be called if someone is unconscious regardless of whether they breathing normally or not...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom