DELETED_5350

Soldato
Is it worth falling out with your "friend" over £60??

Both equally to blame - If a courier dropped a parcel off in your garden for your neighbour, would you leave it outside for 2 weeks if said they would come and get it soon?? No you would move it to somewhere safe/inside etc.

Soldato
Him not coming back for 2 weeks shows how much he values the friendship.

Also its only £60. A real friend would have accepted if he had come back when he said he would this wouldnt have happened and to take the hit.

He said he made an effort to tell you to move it? Why didn't he just move it himself?

I'd drop him.

This is why people shouldnt mix business with pleasure.

Soldato
If we flip the logic and instead of pointing blame, ask yourself "Could I have prevented this?" The answer is yes. You knew it was there. So either way there's no direct 100% blame to apply to either party - start from a position of moving forwards. You need your roof fixed, your mate needs to make good on his original work, and you both value the friendship I presume.

Now onto the money. Am I right in assuming your mate is aiming to fix a year old job - in other words you're not paying anything for his time, materials and costs like labourers? In which case he is literally out of pocket for buying the first batch of lead. I can understand why he doesn't want to spend a second lot of cash on a no pay job. If that is the case, maybe be empathetic and shell out the cash for lead, to get your free roof fix.

It's an old job. If the roof has been leaking for a year that just raises even more questions about both of you.

Man of Honour
Tricky one. I can understand both points of view. It really depends what was agreed when the lead was left there. Was there an expectation of the work being done immediately, was there room to store the lead at the back of the house, did your friend ask you to move it or did you even know he was dropping it off?

In this case I'd suggest a 50/50 contribution to maintain the friendship.

Soldato
Why is that funny? I had an old copper water tank in my garden and the scrap man didn't steal it. They did knock on and ask if I wanted to get rid of it, to which I said no in weighing it in. If they stole it and be reporting it, it was worth a small fortune for basically rubbish.

Associate
Pay the £60 after all you've still got a roof to get fixed, if you want challenge your friend after the work has been done.

This is also an important lesson to not get jobs done by friends and family.

Back
Top Bottom