• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Delidded CPU's

Associate
Hi all,

First post so be gentle. :)

Apologies if this comes across as controversial as it's not intended to be I'm just trying to get a better understanding of the delidding offerings from Overclockers.

I'm soon to be building a new overclocked gaming PC which will feature a delidded 8700k in the hope I can get it to 5.0ghz. When looking at the price of an 8700k on this site I noticed that as well as the CPU itself there were a number of pre-delidded and pre-binned variants. I took a look at the 5.0 Pre-binned 8700k and was quite shocked to see that it was being sold for £548.

Now I know that you will get a guarenteed result of 5.0GHZ through overclocking with this CPU but is it really worth £548? A standard CPU alone is worth what £329.99 or cheaper if you look around but is it really justified to say that it's worth an extra £219.00? You can get the same CPU with the same work done on it from silicon lottery who will charge $429 + $40 for shipping = $469 which is only £346?

Like I say I'm not trying to be difficult in asking this question I'm just trying to see if I'm missing something that's all?

Associate
I bought a 8700 about 2 weeks ago and I found it very easy to overclock it to 4.9, but 5.0 was rather toasty. (85+ almost straight away)
I settled on 4.8 with temps below 75. I looked at the pre binned 5 gig chips and decided the extra money would pay for the motherboard and memory.

If I was working and income allowed, then yes I would have bought one.

Oh! and welcome

Man of Honour
But at US prices the CPU without delid, etc. is around $89 cheaper versus the delidded 5GHz one - UK hardware is expensive.

Soldato
It is quite a tax on the 5ghz chips, tbh... I've been having the same debate with myself. I'd settle on retail at 4.7-4.8. Those last 2-300mhz aren't worth the price increase.

Associate
The 5ghz chips needing up to 1.42v vcore isn't exactly the kind of chip i'd be wanting to pay top dollar for either. I'd consider a chip needing that much a bit of a dog tbh, and the ones that need less are most likely making it into the 5.1ghz more expensive bin.

Soldato
The 5ghz chips needing up to 1.42v vcore isn't exactly the kind of chip i'd be wanting to pay top dollar for either. I'd consider a chip needing that much a bit of a dog tbh, and the ones that need less are most likely making it into the 5.1ghz more expensive bin.

Indeed, cooling 1.42v is not going to be an easy job!

Associate
OEM chips I believe, so the real "premium" is more like £250+... it's a shame ocuk have gone so umm "branded" with their OC items, as I too would have prefered to buy pre-delidded or an oc bundle.

Soldato
For some people, being able to run with the lowest voltage they can, gives a premium feeling about their hardware that their silicon is a well picked better-than-average one.

Associate
For some people, being able to run with the lowest voltage they can, gives a premium feeling about their hardware that their silicon is a well picked better-than-average one.

That may be true, but the pre-binned 4.9 to 5ghz chips we are talking about require "1.35-1.425v", so not exactly low :D

Associate
Pretty sure linus did a video for exactly this thing. Delidding CPU's is the worst possible thing you can do to it because it voids literally every single warranty you can imagine. I think the best route is try and win the CPU lottery and go for a solid 4.8GHz OC. Getting 5GHz is very hard and its always unstable in a lot of picky games.

Soldato
Pretty sure linus did a video for exactly this thing. Delidding CPU's is the worst possible thing you can do to it because it voids literally every single warranty you can imagine. I think the best route is try and win the CPU lottery and go for a solid 4.8GHz OC. Getting 5GHz is very hard and its always unstable in a lot of picky games.

Only warranty I can imagine is the intel one? Are there others? Drama queening much?

Not that hard to hit 5ghz and will only be unstable if your overock isn't right. Never had a pick game for overclocking either.

How many people have faulty CPUs ? It's not that common. If it's not DOA you'll be fine.

Delid is the thing now. I doubt that will change

Soldato
Just buy a retail chip and try your luck. 4.7GHz will be pretty much guaranteed, and on the rare chance that that's all you can get out of it then those extra 300mhz won't make a noticeable difference. Even a stock 8700k is unlikely to cause any bottlenecks unless you want 500fps.

Associate
I bought an OEM 8700k and can get a stable 5.0Ghz at 1.344v. However it's a bit toasty for my setup tbh! I was seeing a max temp of 77*c with NON AVX Prime, mid to high 80's with the latest Prime 95 (AVX), so right on the limit tbh for my standards. Currently delidded with Conductonaut, Krayonaut paste and a NH-D14.

I settled at 4.8Ghz @ 1.280v solid for lower temps. The performance between 4.8Ghz and 5.0Ghz in my eyes for gaming is nothing...

So yes, imo the pre binned CPU's are a bit of a let down when they state 1.35-1.425v for 4.9Ghz to 5.2Ghz, is they really a "binned" chip in regards to the lower clocked examples? It seems most 8700k's can get 4.8-4.9 out the box within 1.3v from what ive read around?

Not knocking 8 Pack or OCUK though! Im just a gamer who likes to OC, not a pro in any shape or form :) But I myself wouldn't pay between £490 - £900 for between 100 and 400mhz extra clock speed over a non binned 8700k which should pull 4.7Ghz-4.9Ghz once delidded out the box with decent cooling for most examples.

But also you gota think, some people have the money and don't want the hassle of "if" they can get xx Ghz. Supply and demand and all that!

Associate
Silicon Lottery claim all their delidded 8700k chips can do 4.9+, so no, it seems nothing is actually "binned", but your still paying a huge premium (+£200) for the worst tested (4.9) chips :D

Soldato
Silicon Lottery claim all their delidded 8700k chips can do 4.9+, so no, it seems nothing is actually "binned", but your still paying a huge premium (+£200) for the worst tested (4.9) chips :D

I agree. Got an OEM 8600K, delided it, fine tuned it at 5.1Ghz @ 1.39v with 4.5Ghz ring. Job done. Then OC the 3600Mhz ram to 4000C17. And all these on the Asus 370I (the mitx board).

Back
Top Bottom