Dell 13z thread

Soldato
I don't recall any ahci options in the bios, did you install all the main drivers inc intel drivers?

This is when installing windows. I am not actually into Windows yet.

(And there are options in the BIOS)

EDIT: I tried cahnging from AHCI to ATA and it didn't help.

Last edited:

Aod

Aod

Soldato
hey mrk - can you tell me about the little 3rd antenna you popped into your 13z after you got your wireless N card? my thinkpad has a wireless N card but only two WiFi antennae and i'd like to add one, but space is limited and your little one looks ideal!

Associate
Right, I've taken delivery of the laptop and am now updating Ubuntu on it!

The laptop looks very smart, runs fast and quiet and is very easy to type on (full size keyboard).

Installing Ubuntu was a bit of a pain due to the pre-installed partitions Dell give you. As they don't provide a Windows 7 disk, it comes with a recovery partition and some other partition (not sure what this is for yet!). They then give you a 60gb OS partition and the rest is for your docs. However, as Linux needs it's own partition and the maximum number of partitions is only 4, I had to merge the O/S and docs partition (and of course shrink the docs partition).

So that was Ubuntu installed, and then it was getting the wireless working as Ubuntu doesn't come with the Broadcom wireless drivers. This was fairly simple though, just a case of connecting it up via cable and getting the proprietary drivers.

Overall, I'm very satisfied so far, got everything running as I want on Windows and am just sorting out linux!

Soldato
For people that use this laptop:

Did you:

a) Install the Synaptics driver from the Dell website.
b) Install the Synaptics driver from the Synaptics website.
c) Install no driver for the touchpad?

Reason I ask is that some manufacturers modify the driver for specific machines so wanted to know which is best.

Soldato
That's what I thought. Thanks.

What Intel drivers do I need to get?

I assume its just:

Intel AHCI
Intel Chipset (which chipset is it?)
Intel Graphics 4500MHD

Edit: Also, did you install the Realtek HD Audio Manager - it appears to have some powersaving options in there so I am thinking I should keep it running.

Last edited:
Soldato
How does this compare to the HP DM3? As far as I can see the Dell is more powerful, with a longer battery life and a built in dvd drive.

I'm not sure which one to go with as on paper the Dell is better, I realise Dell are a shocking company to deal with going by past experience. How are they these days? Call centres in India and cheaply made machines was my experience a few years back and as the machines are now made in China rather than Ireland has the quality suffered further?

I reckon the HP looks prettier, but I have read reports of it being noisy and running hot. How are Dell returns if I receive the item as I haven't seen on "in the flesh" as it were so are they covered by the distance selling act if it arrives and its poorly built?

Associate
How does this compare to the HP DM3? As far as I can see the Dell is more powerful, with a longer battery life and a built in dvd drive.

I'm not sure which one to go with as on paper the Dell is better, I realise Dell are a shocking company to deal with going by past experience. How are they these days? Call centres in India and cheaply made machines was my experience a few years back and as the machines are now made in China rather than Ireland has the quality suffered further?

I reckon the HP looks prettier, but I have read reports of it being noisy and running hot. How are Dell returns if I receive the item as I haven't seen on "in the flesh" as it were so are they covered by the distance selling act if it arrives and its poorly built?
Ive been reading a lot about the Dell laptop range lately as I've put an order in for a Studio 15. i7, 4gb ram, 1gb GPU, 1080p screen, and sub £700. It's £649 without the HD screen and probably £615ish with a discount code.. however a worryingly high amount of people have negative things to say about Dell laptops. I think overheating's and system stability are the main issues..

Associate
I don't suppose anybody knows if this laptop has the same monitor as the Dell Inspiron 1318? I have cracked my screen and am looking to replace it, but not sure if the screens are the same as I can't find any for the 13z!

Back
Top Bottom