Dell cancellation policy... during transit?

Associate
Hi,

The Dell UK website states:

If your order is listed as “Order received”, “Order Processing” or “Work In Progress” , you may still be able to cancel your order – please inform us right away by filling in the web form* below.

If your order has passed “In Production” or “Shipped” it’s no longer possible to cancel it. However, after you receive delivery of your order, you still have the option to return it to Dell within 7 days from receipt of order.

There seems to be a grey area concerning their 'returns policy' and their 'cancellation policy' - the wording is a bit 'hazy'... it doesn't explicitly sate what to do if you choose to cancel the order while it is in transit - it only says that you can 'return' the order when you receive it...?

Surely you can still phone up and cancel an order while it is in transit and avoid 'returning it' which incurs a fee!!

(I might be wrong but...) Im pretty sure you are within your rights to cancel an order at any stage before you sign for it even tho it says If your order has passed “In Production” or “Shipped” it’s no longer possible to cancel it. What happens if you refuse to sing for an item... you have not taken possession of the item and therefore have nothing to 'return'!

Has anyone had any experience with this..?

Associate
OP
I have been informed elsewhere that as long as you don't accept the item - you are not liable for the re-stocking fee (as you have nothing to 'return').

If anyone has experienced anything different... please let me know before I make a fool of myself with Dell!:rolleyes:

Associate
As above, according to the distant selling regulations the buyer has the right to a full refund including all postage costs as long as it is within 7 days, since you havent even received it yet then you can still cancel it for a full refund.

Soldato
Did you customise the build?

Exceptions to the right to cancel
13.—(1) Unless the parties have agreed otherwise, the consumer will not have the right to cancel the contract by giving notice of cancellation pursuant to regulation 10 in respect of contracts—

(a)for the supply of services if the supplier has complied with regulation 8(3) and performance of the contract has begun with the consumer’s agreement before the end of the cancellation period applicable under regulation 12;.
(b)for the supply of goods or services the price of which is dependent on fluctuations in the financial market which cannot be controlled by the supplier;.
(c)for the supply of goods made to the consumer’s specifications or clearly personalised or which by reason of their nature cannot be returned or are liable to deteriorate or expire rapidly;.
(d)for the supply of audio or video recordings or computer software if they are unsealed by the consumer;.
(e)for the supply of newspapers, periodicals or magazines; or.
(f)for gaming, betting or lottery services..

Associate
OP
Gd spot Dano!

I think the highlighted passage refers to engraving and ordering specific lid designs etc. The laptop I ordered is just one of the standard specs offered on their website (it had a Dell E-value code). There is no scope for any personalisation (that i am aware of) on the XPS 17 anyway. Not sure how that could apply to me...!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom