Dell S2716DG - Dells first G-sync

Man of Honour
Anyone do casual photo editing on this monitor? Eg lightroom. Are the colours good enough once calibrated ?

I do a little texture (video game) editing on it when I'm also testing code, etc. and can't be bothered to go back and forth from my IPS - I'd say it's OK but I have the IPS along side it for reference as well so I kind of have half an idea how the results will come out. The gamma and tweaks needed to make it fairly decent overall might make the brightness a bit off if you have no other reference.

Also I never quite got blues nailed down compared to my IPS which is properly calibrated - it is close but I've found I don't have enough fine grained control to quite get it 100% - nearest settings slightly undershoot or slightly overshoot - not by any amount I'd care for tweaking photos for Facebook, etc. though.

Soldato
Has anyone mounted this monitor to a wall? I'm looking at the possibility of doing that as I have had to reduce the size of my desk considerably.

Soldato
I have mine wall mounted, what do you need to know?

Well I can see that the mounting holes are in an indent on the back of the monitor. What wall bracket did you use? I wondered if you needed a small one that will fit in that square indent or whether any old 100x100 VESA mount will do.

Associate
I'm having problems with gsync in borderless mode, had it since the last 3 driver updates. Apparently its an issue with running multiple monitors with different hz in borderless

Caporegime
Just got my replacement monitor which is an A07 (previous one was A04). After looking through this thread for settings the posts regarding calibration tools are making me think it's about time I had one. As someone who just mainly games is it worth buying one? If so, would the ColorMunki Smile and Spyder5 Express (about same price to buy) both be adequate for me? My eyesight is not 100% and slowly getting worse in my twilight years :)

i've got a colormunki display. after buying one i would never use a uncalibrated monitor again. IMO you are being tight by not calibrating a monitor.

to get the best out of it it needs to be calibrated.

Associate
Just got this monitor a couple weeks ago Rev05.
Banding is crazy bad in dark games like Outlast 2 ,RE7 anyway I thought I share my settings to help with the banding in dark scenes.

Download icc profile

All channels - Brightness + 45% - Contrast + 55% - Gamma + 0.60 - Digital Vibrance + 45%
Red channel - Brightness + 40% - Contrast + 70% - Gamma + 1.00
Green channel - Brightness + 50% - Contrast + 50% - Gamma + 0.89
Blue channel - Brightness + 50% - Contrast + 50% - Gamma + 1.00

Monitor settings: - Brightness 75% - Contrast 77%

Custom Color - R 97% - G 99% - B 96%

Caporegime
Just got this monitor a couple weeks ago Rev05.
Banding is crazy bad in dark games like Outlast 2 ,RE7 anyway I thought I share my settings to help with the banding in dark scenes.

Download icc profile

All channels - Brightness + 45% - Contrast + 55% - Gamma + 0.60 - Digital Vibrance + 45%
Red channel - Brightness + 40% - Contrast + 70% - Gamma + 1.00
Green channel - Brightness + 50% - Contrast + 50% - Gamma + 0.89
Blue channel - Brightness + 50% - Contrast + 50% - Gamma + 1.00

Monitor settings: - Brightness 75% - Contrast 77%

Custom Color - R 97% - G 99% - B 96%

your settings are specific to your monitor. they won't work on anyone else's. for every person it will help it will harm another person's settings.

if you know how monitors are made and how they work you should know this.

Man of Honour
your settings are specific to your monitor. they won't work on anyone else's. for every person it will help it will harm another person's settings.

if you know how monitors are made and how they work you should know this.

With these Dells you are best off just going for whatever settings give you the most pleasing looking visuals anyhow - atleast mine is pretty much impossible to calibrate ideally with the smallest possible increments bracketing the ideal spot so I just set it up to look natural, reasonably accurate and get as much "pop" as possible - I only really use it for gaming and casual stuff anyhow.

Caporegime
With these Dells you are best off just going for whatever settings give you the most pleasing looking visuals anyhow - atleast mine is pretty much impossible to calibrate ideally with the smallest possible increments bracketing the ideal spot so I just set it up to look natural, reasonably accurate and get as much "pop" as possible - I only really use it for gaming and casual stuff anyhow.

save yourself all that hassle and just buy a calibrator. you can pick them up for cheap second hand too.

Man of Honour
save yourself all that hassle and just buy a calibrator. you can pick them up for cheap second hand too.

I've a friend who does graphic design who has calibrated most of my monitors properly with Spyder series devices - I've also got a U2913WM which is pretty much perfectly calibrated from the factory which is a good reference.

Man of Honour
It has always been a bit expensive here mind but Dell have a bit of an offer on at the moment which makes it a lot cheaper :s

Soldato
£5 more expensive than I paid about 9 weeks ago. TBH I've been expecting the replacement to arrive by now.
I might buy a second monitor later in the year. An old 2711 is still serving me well as long as I don't press the power off button (have to turn off at the mains otherwise it can sometimes be difficult to turn back on). Not sure to buy the replacement for this or pick up a freesync monitor to keep options open for the future. Only one system is used for gaming.

Soldato
My Dell S2716DG has just started doing the "burn in pattern" whenever in low power mode. Switching from full screen red/blue/green/white. Also the factory menu is now available by pressing the button to the left of the power button. I didn't do anything to turn on the burn in pattern or activate the factory menu. Might contact Dell about it.

Soldato
Still worth considering this if you're in the market for a 1440p 144Hz G-sync monitor? I can get it new for £300ish - so it seems like a bit of a no brainer to be honest.

Back
Top Bottom