Dell S2716DG - Dells first G-sync

Soldato
Got my finger over the buy button.....do I...

Yes lol

If you have the money and are looking for a g sync 144 screen, then do it. I think mine is an amazing panel, its such a game changer IMO.

I know you get complaints but mostly this is a highly regarded panel, I know its TN but its been great for me.

Soldato
Yes lol

If you have the money and are looking for a g sync 144 screen, then do it. I think mine is an amazing panel, its such a game changer IMO.

I know you get complaints but mostly this is a highly regarded panel, I know its TN but its been great for me.

have you kept the settings the same out of the box?

Soldato
have you kept the settings the same out of the box?

I changed a few settings , it looked a tad washed by default for my liking, but apart from lack of gamma you can get it looking nice just from the screen alone.

There are ICC profiles, but I don't use them, I just use the nvidia colour settings and it looks fantastic to me.

but thats me, others might not like how I have it.

Man of Honour
Despite the issues I have to suck it up and buy one or other of the high refresh 1440p TN panels - nothing else comes close for the gaming I do - and this largely seems to be the best option (trust me :| I've been through many of the alternatives).

Even on desktop I find the high refresh nicer with the smoother mouse movement - I notice it hugely even versus the 75Hz IPS I have sitting next to it.

Soldato
Despite the issues I have to suck it up and buy one or other of the high refresh 1440p TN panels - nothing else comes close for the gaming I do - and this largely seems to be the best option (trust me :| I've been through many of the alternatives).

Even on desktop I find the high refresh nicer with the smoother mouse movement - I notice it hugely even versus the 75Hz IPS I have sitting next to it.

I too find the higher refresh rate of this screen a joy to use on my desktop. I'm enjoying my panel, its far exceeded what I expected. The smoother lag free gaming is just so nice, even games I can't get 60fps solid such as the witcher 3 max'd with hairworks runs like silk on this screen.

My previous 60hz screen with the witcher 3 same settings was a laggy game if not locked to 60fps, now I can drop 5 - 10 fps not notice a thing. Turned my frame counter off now. Hardly notice any fps drops, magic. Just what I wanted.

Soldato
Well... that's mine arrived this morning.

Doesn't appear to be any dead pixels, or other panel anomalies.

It's an A03, with a manufacture date of July 2016 but strangely, DELL's warranty info states that the warranty runs from 30 January 2016! Bit odd!!

Like most folks, I've disabled "deep sleep" and used the OSD & ICC profile from TFT central. Think that will do for now. Colours don't look too bad for a TN panel and Gsync appears to work just fine. Did set text to 125% though and fiddled with cleartype text, just to make it easier on my aging eyes (ha).

Only tried two games so far:
- Doom reboot only needed the global settings knocked down one notch from Ultra. Frame rate seems to be around 60-90 FPS.
- Witcher 3 a bit more demanding. Knocked it down one notch from Ultra and switched off Nvidia hairworks and FPS between 50-70FPS.

So not looking too bad for an over clocked GTX 970!

Most other games queued up to play are older titles picked up in steam/GOG etc. sales. So things should be Ok for a couple of months.

Come the new year. I can then look at a graphics card upgrade. Whooppee, more money to spend.

Happy days :)

Soldato
I've queried the warranty with the company that I purchased the monitor off (IE. manufacture date July 2016, but warranty according to Dell starts 30 January 2016). Maybe they just entered January into their system, when it should have been July.

They are going to check the situation with Dell.

Soldato
Are you guys getting this monitor from OCUK or someplace else? I'm really tempted to buy one but been put off a bit due to people receiving poor quality units.

Bought elsewhere, due to them having a zero pixel defect warranty and guaranteed A03 stock. No disrespect to OCuk, who are my preferred supplier but not in this case.

Don't know if QC is luck of the draw at the moment, or whether A03 stock is better quality.

Soldato
Bought elsewhere, due to them having a zero pixel defect warranty and guaranteed A03 stock. No disrespect to OCuk, who are my preferred supplier but not in this case.

Don't know if QC is luck of the draw at the moment, or whether A03 stock is better quality.

Thank you. I won't press you for the retailer as I know it's against forum rules. I'll put my google skillz to work!
:D

Soldato
Mine just arrived :)

Had to purchase elsewhere due to OCUK being out of stock.

Ive never really installed "profiles" etc before, how is this done using TFT central people keep talking about?

Soldato
Mine just arrived :)

Had to purchase elsewhere due to OCUK being out of stock.

Ive never really installed "profiles" etc before, how is this done using TFT central people keep talking about?

Download profile from TFT central, then:

- Control Panel/Colour Management/add/browse and then point to the TFT Central download.
- Then "set as Default profile" and apply.

Be aware that in the Nvidia control panel you either choose:
- Other applications control colour settings (IE. your ICC profile of choice).
- or use Nvidia settings.

NB. If you select and play around with the Nvidia settings, then you disable the ICC profile. So it's one, or the other. Or that's how I understand it works.

Obviously you can also play around with the limited settings in the OSD on the monitor (which work independent of any ICC profile etc.).

Though the only real way to calibrate the monitor properly, is to do it yourself (though I doubt many people have the right equipment to do this). As each panel can vary slightly, plus there's environment conditions and of course... personal choice/preference.

Have fun.

Associate
Mine arrived today (refurb not from OCUK) and it's DOA. Screen powers on but displays nothing, not from DP, HDMI or even the OSD. Seller thinks it's been damaged in transit so having to wait for a replacement :(

Back
Top Bottom