Dell SSD

Associate
Hi all
I was given a Dell Inspiron M5030 laptop to look at for a relative. It had stopped working and had been sitting on a shelf unused for about 3-4 years. It had over heated and I used a heat gun and reflowed the board. That fixed the first problem and I managed to get it to boot to BIOS. It was indicating a hardware fault so I thought I would just take out the SSD and copy any data off it onto a USB stick.
I connected it to my PC and could see it, but I could only see one folder System Volume Information. I thought this might be a Windows thing so I booted up in Linux and looked at the drive again. Same thing only seeing System Volume Information.
I am assuming the drive is knackered but I thought I would ask here in case I am missing something Dell related that I don't know about. I did run Recuva in windows but it couldn't find anything.
Are the folders and files gone? Or are they somehow hidden?
Thanks for the help.

JR1

JR1

Associate
Hi Disponded,

In Windows what shows up in Disk Management? Does the drive have multiple partitions?

I assume the SSD was the boot drive in the Dell laptop. It is strange that there is no sign of the system files...

but I dont think you should assume the drive is knackered. If you can see it and run Recuva against it, it sounds quite encouraging to me.

I've had a couple of Dell laptops in the past and I dont think there is any Dell related thing going on (though I guess the drive may have had a recovery partition)

Regds, JR

Back
Top Bottom