Dell U2913WM

Associate
Finally got round to ordering one of these today, funds didnt really allow but a new monitor is necessary since mine bit the bullet today. Cant wait for some battlefield/cod 21:9 goodness! :)

Soldato
had this monitor since release, only thing i don't like about it game companies not supporting it.

Blizzard - its cheating... Diabolic 3? :rolleyes:
Blizzard - its cheating - starcraft 2 - kind of understandable
Valve - unfair Dota2 & tf2/source - kind of understand but there not much:o
others just stretch 16:9 which looks ok but not "good"
only game to support it very well is bioshock Infifite
Old games - no support unless mod. - understandable

Soldato
Personally I don't have any trouble running it on the games I like to play, but they are completely different titles. Claiming it gives people an unfair advantage and therefore forcefully disabling it is a bit daft to be honest. I understand the claim that it could give an unfair advantage. What about playing on a faster monitor? At a faster frame rate? Maybe such titles impose an innate FPS limit I'm not sure. Or perhaps lowering the detail levels so objects are easier to distinguish from one another. Enemies are easier to spot etc. Where do you draw the line?

Soldato
had this monitor since release, only thing i don't like about it game companies not supporting it.

I'd have bought one of these but what's stopping me is lack of support. The biggest issue doesn't seem to be so much that games devs can't support it but more the feeling that, as you've pointed out, they actively will not support it because they feel it gives players an unfair advantage!

It's frustrating as I can see the appeal of 21:9.

Soldato
wouldn't stop me buying one lot games are fine, its just the "competitive games" + old ones

for example batman supports it fine, sdleeping dogs and such

Associate
So after allot of deliberating I decided to buy the Dell U2913WM over the U2712HM, I am really happy with the monitor but finding it not as vivid as my previous monitor which was a LG 24" IPS monitor. Anyone here fancy sharing their setting with me please.
Many Thanks :)

Soldato
Tempted by this monitor - only thing that causes concern is game support... worst case scenario you'll have to run them at 1920x1080 and have black bars?

I am surprised that they aren't as popular as I thought they would be, is there something I should be aware of?

Associate
Guess a lot of people just dont like the 21:9 ratio, since a lot of stuff is 16:9. I love it as I watch a lot of movies and they look great.

Soldato
I am tempted, but having seen it drop to the £320 area and being too busy deciding which monitor to go for its now gone up in price. Will hang around until it hits £320 again I think - I'm currently in a debate between this or a DGM 27" IPS.

Caporegime
Holy thread revival?! :eek:

:p

Looking at getting this monitor.

However, the only thing that is stopping me from getting it, is the input lag, now I know that the 29EA93 is using the same panel and LG updated the firmware/revision to drastically lower the input lag and since this DELL monitor is using the same panel as it, I would imagine it is also using the newer firmware/panel so it should have the same input lag as the LG rev 1.25 monitor?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6741/lg-29ea93-monitor-review-rev-125/7

I have just googled for dell revisions and there is no mention of this change? :( Would anyone be able to confirm this?

Thanks.

Man of Honour
Been unable to confirm that Dell is using the newer revision panel, everything I've been able to find so far suggests they are still using the original panel.

In gaming mode at 75Hz with other image enhancements disabled I was able to get it down (unscientifically tested) to somewhere around 14-17ms but never tried to use it for FPS online - once those changes were made it was perfectly fine for playing games like Bioshock, tomb raider, etc. singleplayer without noticing input lag.

Permabanned
You can do the maths yourself at 75hz for a best case scenario. If a frame response is say 16.7ms at 60hz then take away -25% due to increasing the fps over 60 by 25%?

As for input lag Dell,LG,NEC versions all have it. And with Dell SRGB mode is around 24ms? In game mode you can do down to 18 at 60hz. But this must be a scaler of somekind because if you look at the AOC or Asus versions they have input lag much lower.

For example the MX299Q has a scaler that has no more than 7ms of input lag. Response times with that one at tracefree 60 (max) hit averages of 12ms. Personally i would buy the Asus over the Dell and calibrate it myself. Look for the thread on here where i gave the settings for PQ. I personally see no reason to go Dell over Asus now the price dropped to £350 online. Just calibrate it to 200/cmd2 instead of 120/cmd2.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Thanks for the info guys.

And yeah after reading finguz's post about the ASUS one, I am extremely tempted by the asus instead now. I just wish their RMA and customer service was a lot better...

It does seem stupid to get the dell over the asus.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Use DSR and a good retailer and i reckon u will be fine. You can calibrate it to eye using the settings i found from my weeks of reading on it. I would have got one if i did not want 120hz and i never bought a monitor in years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS5h4XMWQKs

Im an evil man i bet that doesnt help when you see Bioshock and Tomb Raider looking stunning. It tortured me i still watch them bemoaning my choice. Who knows maybe i will buy one just for world of warcraft or something.

Last edited:
Caporegime
You bad man!!!! :( I miss the 21.9 aspect ratio so much, this 23" 16.9 is just horrible :_(

Thanks.

If I am buying, it will be from ocuk. Unfortunately I might have to order it before my RMA gets processed as I really don't want to be paying £400.... Plus there are only 9 in stock now *sigh*

Back
Top Bottom