Dell U4025QW - 40" 5120x2160 120Hz

Associate
The AW3423DW could be bought for well under £900 on launch day though, and that's OLED, so infinite blacks with superb colour accuracy. Granted it's not 5120x2160, but we now have such high res OLEDs coming and are set to be cheaper than this IPS Black, and they will naturally have even better specs.

For ref, the DWF is currently under £750 brand new on Dell's site.

As is usually the game, the "professional" monicker has a tax applied to it, even though it doesn't actually have that many "professional" features that your everyday monitor already has (barring the resolution)..It still has backlight bleed, it still has corner bleed, still has glow from any angle that isn't head-on, which will end up being an issue on a 40" display as you cannot look at one without being off-angle for a large portsion of the screen sides anyway lol. Even the video reviews above say that they wished it had better bleed/glow control at angles.

If I'm spending professional money, I will be wanting none of these traits. It needs to be *OLED to make the most sense.

No-one's forcing you to buy it, or trying to convince you to, for that matter. I may buy it though. Horses for courses.

Edit:

I've replaced 2 for burn-in, 1 was replaced for those screen marks that could not be removed, hence I am on the 4th currently after 3 replacements. The next replacement under warranty will probably be for something defective ... Probably :p

Some folks just want a monitor without any worry or fuss...

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yes I know that, I'm just stating my view, we have far cheaper and arguably better monitors on the market, and more to come, so this old tech with old tech negatives priced at new tech money just doesn't make sense.

Associate
Yes I know that, I'm just stating my view, we have far cheaper and arguably better monitors on the market, and more to come, so this old tech with old tech negatives priced at new tech money just doesn't make sense.

Cheaper, sure. Arguably, well, yes, indeed! More to come, sure but that's always true - 3000/1 contrast ratio IPS black panels coming in future so I understand. Still not sure why you've taken against it really. You're clearly a fan of OLED, fine, but also say you're on your 4th? I for one am happy to spend a small sum just to not have to go through the hassle of sending the things back over and over 'til I get a decent one! Anyway, I think we will have to agree to disagree. FWIW, I haven't bought yet, and also find OLED extremely seductive. But for my purposes, this seems to tick more boxes, with less worry than any of the other options currently available. My money, my choice! :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The AW3423DW could be bought for well under £900 on launch day though, and that's OLED, so infinite blacks with superb colour accuracy. Granted it's not 5120x2160, but we now have such high res OLEDs coming and are set to be cheaper than this IPS Black, and they will naturally have even better specs.

For ref, the DWF is currently under £750 brand new on Dell's site.

As is usually the game, the "professional" monicker has a tax applied to it, even though it doesn't actually have that many "professional" features that your everyday monitor already has (barring the resolution)..It still has backlight bleed, it still has corner bleed, still has glow from any angle that isn't head-on, which will end up being an issue on a 40" display as you cannot look at one without being off-angle for a large portsion of the screen sides anyway lol. Even the video reviews above say that they wished it had better bleed/glow control at angles.

If I'm spending professional money, I will be wanting none of these traits. It needs to be *OLED to make the most sense.

Can we please give it a rest with the "OLED is better in every way" rhetoric.

Yes they have strengths in terms of dynamic range and colour reproduction but they also have weaknesses in terms of image retention and sub-pixel rendering. For general productivity work which isn't dependent on high colour accuracy or dynamic range, high-end LCDs can often be a better choice.

Associate
I had the 34" OLED screen and got rid of it myself (okay mainly because the 3440x1440 resolution a ratio is pants) and I'm quite happy with my order of this screen even with the 4k oled now available. :)

Soldato
OP
It's not rhetoric when it's objectively and demonstrably true. Just read or watch any review comparing both technologies.

What is, that OLED has superior dynamic range and colour reproduction?
It's also objectively and demonstrably true that it has disadvantages compared to LCD but you're conveniently ignoring that.

I'm objective enough to realise it has both strengths and weaknesses and isn't necessarily suitable for everyone's use-case.
I spend 10+ hours each day at the desktop and most of that is in the same two or three apps, thus text clarity and image retention are major factors for me. For my use-case, the disadvantages of OLED outweigh the advantages.

Associate
I think that's because it's seen as an office monitor. Reviews won't get the same viewer numbers.

Surprising that's perception? Ips black and 120hz means it should be good for gaming as well? Huge connectivity, loudspeakers makes it an all rounder?

For me this is best of both worlds. If it's as good as it looks I'll definitely be getting another!

Associate
Have one on order since Feb 28th but it’s been delayed twice and current delivery estimate is April 1. Either it’s extremely popular or they haven’t made many of these I guess.

Soldato
Surprising that's perception? Ips black and 120hz means it should be good for gaming as well? Huge connectivity, loudspeakers makes it an all rounder?

For me this is best of both worlds. If it's as good as it looks I'll definitely be getting another!
OLED is getting all the attention now. I guess people see the only reason to not go OLED is for productivity.

Soldato
OP
Mine arrived a day early :D

Copy/Paste from my post on reddit:
Initial reactions are all positive, loving the step up in resolution and the amount of desktop it gives me and of course the image quality and colours are excellent.

Had quick check in POE and BG3 just to see what refresh rates were like, was pleasantly surprised to see my 3080 push them both at around 80-90FPS without any obvious issues - so no immediate need to upgrade the graphics card.

How are you finding it for gaming compared to the AW3418DW?

Associate
I had the G9 OLED and returned it after a day as the subpixel layout was awful for non-gaming tasks.

Then I picked up a 42” Philips OLED and returned that as it caused migraines due to the constant dimming depending on the amount of white on screen.

Each time I went back to my Gigabyte M28U and was much happier!

Dont get me wrong I want OLED for gaming desperately, but it has to work for everything else as well.

If I wasn’t so set on 240hz I’d be snapping this up

Anyone with this monitor tried none native resolutions?! How does it handle a 4:3 picture, does it have a fit when switching like the G9s?!

Associate
Bought one last week, the motion blur caused by the slower response times is very noticeable, even at the fast mode I would not recommend this for gaming.

Standard SDR productivity was really great though.

In the end I returned it, I think the AW32 oled is better value and better suited for my hybrid needs.

Back
Top Bottom