Dell Vostro 1500

Associate
Going to be getting a 1510 for Christmas.

Seems it packs a fair punch for it's price and performance. The 8400 can carry it's weight and I've been watching videos of it playing loads of different games and it seems it'll do me fine.

I've always got my desktop for when I feel like cranking settings to the max anyway. Laptop will be used mostly for lounging about the house and some school work.

Have never bothered with laptops before but I'm actually excited for this. :D Also yes, mega bump. :p

Soldato
No, else they wouldnt be sold..
They are returns, through people misordering, not being happy with laptops(DSA), or have previously had faults and been returned(but now fixed and fully working)

Soldato
Is a refurbished Vostro 1500 at £479 a good deal with the following spec?

T7300 Intel Core2 Duo 2.0GHz (4MB Cache, 800MHz FSB)
2GB DDR2 667MHz
160GB Serial (SATA)
15.4" Wide Screen WXGA (1280 x 800) Display
DVD-ReWriter Drive
nVidia GeForce 8600M GT Graphics with 256MB Dedicated RAM

Would it play games such as BF2, Oblivion at reasonable framerates? At a push, could it play Fallout 3 at reduced settings?

Are there better alternatives for around £500?

Soldato
A year ago I paid £600 for a similar spec, although with a C2D 2.2GHz, 250GB hard drive, 3GB RAM and WSXGA+ (1680x1050) Truelife screen.

Taking into account a year's depreciation, I'd say £450 for your spec is a bit steep. You should be looking to a similar spec as above for that kind of money.

Soldato
Thanks for the advice. I hunted high and low and found one for £375 so I ordered that pronto.
Can't wait for it to arrive. It might not be cutting edge, but it will beat gaming on my eeepc or Latitude D410!

Soldato
Hmm, my 1500 isnt half playing up on my XP install, I got the thing with vista and cant see to find the disc though - formatted over the recovery partition too... any ideas where to get the OEM CD from to reinstall vista? Iv got the sticker with my product key on the lappy for it still.

Caporegime
Holy thread revival! Is everyone still happy with their Vostro 1500 purchase? Still using mine, just gone past 3 years old!

If you send me a stamped addressed envelope, peetee, you can have my Vista Business OEM DVD as I am on Windows 7 now.

Soldato
Yeah still using mine. Screens a bit wobbly, keys are worn and shiny. 9 cell battery stopped charging after nearly 3 years, but it does get used 4hrs a day or more. All in, very solid/tough laptop. Also on Windows 7. See no reason to replace it yet.

Associate
Mines coming upto 3 years in a few months time, had the graphics card replaced under the 1 year warranty as that went completely fubar. And as above, keys a bit shiny and 9 cell isn't as good as it was, but 99% of the time I have it plugged into the mains so not a problem for me.

I'm still on xp, I want to upgrade to windows 7 at some point, once I have I don't see any need in changing my laptop, still does what I need and well enough.

Soldato
Mine is still working. Just shoved an SSD in their this morning. From what I can tell laptops really haven't got that more powerful over the last three years, well, at least not at the same rate as desktops. They just seem to have gotten smaller and lighter.

Soldato
Holy thread revival! Is everyone still happy with their Vostro 1500 purchase? Still using mine, just gone past 3 years old!

If you send me a stamped addressed envelope, peetee, you can have my Vista Business OEM DVD as I am on Windows 7 now.

cheers for the offer but i should have mentioned i'v got Vista HOME OEM :(

Associate
I thought vista and 7 had all the versions on the disc, its the product key that determined what gets installed, or does that only apply to retail?

Back
Top Bottom