Delvis: Mobilise!

Caporegime
OP
I don't want to give you too much to think about at once! I could give you loads but I wouldn't want to overwhelm you.

This way you learn things steadily as well.

Makes sense buddy :)

I've been doing the hip thing, when you put it on to a box and you bend over basically, certainly tight in that area

Caporegime
OP
Glute stretch? Good stuff!

In general I'd encourage you to explore stuff on your own and freestyle on things like stretching and soft tissue work (rolling etc.), but in terms of corrective exercises I have in mind a particular order to go with.

It makes things massively easier for me that you're interested in this stuff :)

I'm going to give you the weekend to work on your foot and then have something for you to work on for monday. Fixing your feet is literally the foundation to sorting everything else.

How do you feel about progressing at some stage to doing some sprinting? A top down way of looking at this is that if you can sprint, your body is working pretty well. It's also incredibly good for you.

I've always to be able to run (hell, we have a massive green behind our house) but my knees / shins / ankles have always stopped me, they'd just hurt after a while or the next day.

So, order of things, work on the foot with the ball daily, and the shin / leg stuff every other? When should I work on the hip / glute things? On days my legs are being worked or every training session? :)

Thanks buddy, I really want to sort my foot out, if it can make me do more cardio based stuff in the future, and walk the dog without being in pain, it's all good!

Caporegime
OP
Sweet, will do my best buddy :)

Have to bare in mind I don;t have bands or foam rollers :( I need to get a foam roller at least for certain parts of my body, and probably a different ball at some point, the rubber is pulling hairs out :o

Caporegime
OP
Can you suggest a suitable ball as in the vids the guy is using a lacrosse ball, can anyone link me up to something suitable to use in the UK?? All I've got are tennis balls which are too big and soft.

I went to a local pet store and brought a hard rubber ball, £2.50 or something. Not ideal but good enough for no.

Otherwise look in icecolds mobility thread for more info :)

Caporegime
OP
Fair point delbueno, I understand where you are coming from, why would you want to stretch the ligaments (if thats the right thing) in your foot if your arch is collapsed already? Personally I have no idea, but 'I think' it's having a positive effect so far.

Can you clarify the 'Thomas' thing you mentioned please as well? :)

Either way, I definitely have tight hips in general, as doing the stretches mentioned here certainly opens them up a touch.

I'm interested to see what icecolds replys will be, as I'm all for understanding everything more from a more technical point of view, and hopefully he doesn't take it the wrong way :p

EDIT: Regarding the arching, I'm also meant to be 'pulling' my arch back in to place so to speak where I can, so I dunno...At a guess when you stretch the foot ligaments underneath, then try and pull your arch back in, it's resetting? Who knows :p

Caporegime
OP
I've not looked into the evidence behind the majority of these things personally, but I am taking the lead from very well respected individuals in the industry. I have also tried ALL of these techniques on myself and have recommended them to others and seen many use them on their own. Thus, I've seen that these things do work.

Again, increasing the tissue quality of the anterior/posterior tibialis is not the same as generically lengthening the tissue. If we allow these muscles to exert force more effectively, they will be better able support the arch.

What it is that you do exactly, delbuenno? You mention clients...

Thank you for the book recommendations :)

Delvis, you are free to do whatever you like. This stuff will not make you worse, and I've seen it work many times. You could achieve the same results by watching all of Kelly Starrett's videos and reading the authors I have (Eric Cressey, Mike Boyle, Stuart McGill, to name but a few), all I'm doing here is condensing this information into stuff that's relevant to you.

BUT, if you're going to follow any advice I provide you will see the best results if you try to keep to the schedule I suggest.

Cheers man, i'm doing what you suggest yes, so thanks for the input you have given me so far :)

I WILL get that video, I just keep forgetting when I'm at the gym.

Thanks again buddy

Caporegime
OP
I picked up one of those massage balls from Newitts for ~£4 delivered. I assume the little spikes increase the pressure point?

I've also found an old solid white cricket ball which will strip my ITB to bits along with my foam roller.

I know a lot of information is dotted around the forum in various different posts but is there a full mobility exercise routine I could follow (with videos to follow) and perform say 2 times a week?

Have a look in icecolds mobility thread, it will detail a fair amount there :)

Caporegime
OP
Fair game, can't really help you there as you could be there for 5 hours if you wanted a proper 'full body' session :p There are so many different areas of the body you could attack with a lacrosse ball :)

Ice may be able to post something up as a general full body mob session, but again, you may need to add some in depending on where you are tight. For instance I need to ram a ball in to my scapula before squats and chest days to free it up a little, and sometimes after if it gets in to a knot or anything.

Caporegime
OP
I can't touch my toes :o

Trying hard to fit everything in ice, tis hard though. I'm posting a vid up in the ratz thread soon for squat form as well. Needs checking, atleast for bum tuck

Caporegime
OP
Delvis can you post what and when you do your exercises/stretches please?

Will do :)

Worked on my feet and shins last night, some glute work, and a bit of quad work.

Its hard to squeeze everything in at the moment, really trying though matey.

Are you wanting me to post my normal routine as well? I mean gym routine?

Caporegime
OP
Slacked for the last couple of days matey, had an engagement party and stuff to do this weekend so missed a couple of sessions...

Work on my foot this evening though, rolled the ball around on my quad and butt. About to do some hip things now as well :)

If I get a vid up tomorrow of my squat and put it in the ratz thread can you give it a once over for me?

Back
Top Bottom