DENIS

PDW

PDW

Associate
There is a BOINC project called DENIS@Home that describes itself as:

DENIS uses volunteer devices to compute large amounts of cardiac electrophysiological simulations. DENIS uses the idle time on your computer (Windows or Linux) to simulate the electrical activity of the heart.

You can sign up for it in Boinc Manager but an optimized Windows app has been created that runs a lot faster that the project team are talking with its developer to get it integrated into the official app. This forum thread http://denis.usj.es/denisathome/forum_thread.php?id=53 discusses it and includes the link to obtain and install the optimized app.

PDW

PDW

Associate
OP
I noticed today you had joined :)

Didn't know if you had seen the thread about doing the research up to ten times faster though so thought I would post about the project. As you say it seems a great cause.

PDW

PDW

Associate
OP
Are you limiting the number of running tasks so you leave a core free for your folding work ?

PDW

PDW

Associate
OP
Okay. Will see how much you get done in the next few days to see how long before you overtake me :(

PDW

PDW

Associate
OP
If you are running 24/7 I expect you will be putting out 60,000 - 80,000 points, maybe more :eek:

PDW

PDW

Associate
OP
I'm running it on 3 cores of an i3 and it gets just under 4,000 a day according to its RAC.

PDW

PDW

Associate
OP
2 machines 24/7 but not on all cores as they are doing other things such as cctv monitoring and recording and satellite tv dvr too, so 24/7 is:
3 cores on 4790k
2 cores on 4460
Then one more pc is on from 7am to midnight on 3 cores of it's 4790k

In that case it might be a long slow haul to overtake me, I'd assumed 7+7+3 cores. Will take a few days to settle down before we see who is kicking out the most points...

PDW

PDW

Associate
OP
You'll soon overtake my RAC as I've moved almost all my DENIS cores onto the Citizen Science Grid challenge for the next 5 days.

Once that is over I'll be back but it will only be to delay the inevitable overtake :(

PDW

PDW

Associate
OP
I know, they send you an email to let you know :)

I expect you will get on there soon as a new user returning results.

There is even a stats site to go and check who has been the most frequent User of the Day !
As a team, OcUK is currently sitting down in 93rd position http://uotd.org/top_teams.py?offset=50

More important news, I'm now back producing results to slow down the inevitable overtake, going to make you work for it :p

PDW

PDW

Associate
OP
It's back up again now.

You can always set another project with a resource share of 0 so it only downloads when DENIS is having problems and you don't get any work from it.

PDW

PDW

Associate
OP
I assume you want to change the WCG preference to set that to zero so it only cuts in when DENIS is out of action. WCG do things their own special way !

It is under Settings, Device Manager, Device Profiles and at the bottom is Cross Project Settings, I'm assuming that should be changed from 100.0 to 0.0 to achieve the same thing. [Haven't tried it though, some projects don't let you set it to zero.]

PDW

PDW

Associate
OP
I had visitors staying over the weekend and expected my output to drop but I think that also coincided with the DENIS ISP losing connections and the failure for everyone to run all the time :D

Also, I've been waiting for DNA work to get sent out but it still hasn't appeared so full speed ahead on DENIS :D:D

PDW

PDW

Associate
OP
Hey currob, none of your machines have updated since early yesterday evening, still having problems ?

I checked mine were all still running the optimised app.
I did lose a whole project from a machine once which was quite strange.

Boycie, see you are up to 3 machines now :D

PDW

PDW

Associate
OP
By the way, for those who installed Sesef's original optimised app there is a newer version available that is faster :)

Also, linux versions are now available that have been speeded up, see their forum thread for links :)

PDW

PDW

Associate
OP
There are some longer and shorter tasks being sent out, it was more noticeable that they were different when they took longer to do :)

I think (if I added up correctly) that I'm only running 8 at a time but on 4 different machines so I have a bigger buffer which might help with upload/download issues when their site (or ISP) is under load.

Back
Top Bottom