Depressing subject I know..

Soldato
Well I'm having probably the worst week of my life while my Grandmother is clinging on to her life. Sunday she had a stroke and is has never woken since.

Scans said it's a massive bleed on her brain and she's too old for them to do anything so Doctors said it's a matter of hours or days until she passes.

My Mother hasn't left her side since and my Nana had never showed any changes.

What I don't understand is that if doctors have written her off, she's not on drips for food or water etc, effectively starved of all sustsinance for life, then why the hell is euthanasia illegal here?

Surely it's the same thing. By not feeding or hydrating someone you have decided they are gonna die, but you've decided it's gonna be slow and miserable instead of short and painless.

She's a strong old lady though that's for sure. She's 92 and she's been stubbornly keeping this up for nearly 5 days now bless her.

Just felt the need to get some thoughts off my chest.

Sorry it's a bit grim.

Caporegime
Hedge, totally sympathise. It's a very odd situation we have.
Our society will prevent suffering in animals but not fellow humans. Never understood it myself either.

Soldato
I don't think Humans should be deprived of sustenance, it's not a good way to go and I would not allow it for any of my family. Those are just my feelings on the matter.

Soldato
Sorry about your Grandmother Hedge,

There is a very thin line i feel between someones naturally passing and letting them go and euthanizing a person whom they expect could live longer "comfortably"

I do however feel someone in a lucid mindset should be able to decide for themselves to go peacefully with dignity that is often denied people whom have been rejected euthanasia.

Again, very sorry about your Grandmother i hope she has a peaceful passing.

Soldato
What I don't understand is that if doctors have written her off, she's not on drips for food or water etc, effectively starved of all sustsinance for life, then why the hell is euthanasia illegal here?

Surely it's the same thing. By not feeding or hydrating someone you have decided they are gonna die, but you've decided it's gonna be slow and miserable instead of short and painless.

I thought the same thing when it was decided there was nothing they could do for my other half's granddad, we had to all gather round while they switched all his machines off and we watched him suffocate, they dosed him up on morphine so he was unaware but I still noticed a tear running down his face, it was probably just his body reacting, but to me it felt like he knew he was going and was crying. Unforgettable. I kept saying to myself, c'mon, this is your last chance, react or something, make them switch the machines back on! But he didn't. It sure seemed like euthanasia to me.

as for your nan, I'm very sorry to read this, try and stay strong.

Soldato
OP
Yeah it's a really divisive and difficult subject. My nana lost her two sisters within the last two years, one 90 and one 94, after that my nana deteriorated herself. Dementia started to set in and she was confused a lot of the time. It was pretty heartbreaking for us all really.

My Mother refuses to leave her side and she did that same with my Grandfather when he passed . Which makes me proud of her.

I hate this situation though. You think of all kinds of scenarios in your head. Had she not stroked in front of my sister who dealt with it brilliantly then she might not have made it this far. However had my sister not been there at the time she might have died alone and my mother couldn't handle that idea.

Feels better to get it off my chest. I'm sorry it's such a sad topic.

Soldato
My sympathies for your Grandma.

I agree with you that we should have euthanasia. We put our beloved pets down when they are suffering. I remember doing it twice growing up. For some reasons this merciful act is only permitted if you have the cash to get to Dignitas.

Caporegime
Sorry to hear that OP. I think you're right in a way in that it is a sort of back door euthanasia - I mean if they've stopped feeding her then they're killing her slowly anyway, though she isn't likely to be in any pain either(I don't see why therefore they can't just offer a dignitas solution in such cases). Might be appropriate in her case but there are criticism of this sort of thing in general.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-23283820

The Liverpool Care Pathway

The pathway was developed during the late 1990s at the Royal Liverpool University Hospital, in conjunction with the Marie Curie Palliative Care Institute.
It was intended to provide uniform, high-quality, dignified care for dying patients - whether they were in hospital, at home, in a care home or in a hospice.
Previously, there were concerns that care had been patchy, with some hospitals failing to meet acceptable standards, and accusations that people were subjected to invasive treatment and testing that offered no chance of preventing death, but merely prolonged their suffering.
Under the LCP, patients are regularly reviewed to ascertain whether medication should be stopped - and whether fluids should be withdrawn once they have ceased to be able to eat and drink.
However, families have complained relatives were put on the pathway without their consent, and that death has been hastened in people who were not dying imminently.
Critics say that it is impossible for doctors to predict when death is imminent, so the decision to put a patient on the pathway is at worst self-fulfilling.
There have also been suggestions that the pathway has been used to help hospitals save money. NHS Trusts do receive payouts for hitting targets related to its use - but the suggestion that the pathway has been used for cynical reasons has been vigorously denied by the Department of Health.

Soldato
I hope your Nana does not suffer. Sadly, dying with dignity will never be allowed in the UK as the Church who pays no Taxes has way too much influence over our Laws and they think life is 'god's gift' and is therefore sanctified in some way.

It is disgraceful how we are forced to allow loved ones to suffer needlessly and yet are legally obliged to end the suffering of animals. :(

Man of Honour
I agree, and I'm sorry for your impending loss and extra sadness. I'm going straight to dignitas if I become properly braindead. I'm putting that in my "do not open unless something happens to me letter/instructions".

But if I do become completely incapacitated, I want putting in a wheelchair at the top of a cliff and letting gravity do the rest.

Jeez feel for you.
I think most people of a certain age have been through similar.

Should pretty much be an option along the same as organ donation on the driving licence.

Maybe we should have a national referendum, I mean we can have one on the EU, surely something like this is something we could decide as a population.
The pro life beyond all reason brigade could put their case as could the opposition ;)

Soldato
Sorry to hear about your Gran.

Euthanasia is complicated because some people can recover despite what the doctors say.

Associate
sounds like she's on the 'LCP' liverpool care pathway, awful inhumane practice which i think was being phased out..animals get treated better!!

I thought that the LCP was no longer being used.

Its hard to comment without knowing all the facts, but if it were my grandma in her 90's for example, massive stroke, minimal chance of recovery, or in the minute chance that she might, she would be a vegetable, I am not sure that I would want active treatment. I guess only you would know her wishes tho.

Associate
'Scans said it's a massive bleed on her brain and she's too old for them to do anything so Doctors said it's a matter of hours or days until she passes. '

Told exactly same thing with my 93 yr old mother, 7 days later...
The only consolation is they'll be sleeping almost permanently (if not already) and in no pain.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
My dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer earlier this year. My mum and I cared for him at home where he deteriated quickly to the point we had to do everything for him as he couldn't even move for himself.

The last week of his life started with a huge stroke and that was it, there was nothing there and he slipped away. It was a horrible week. The diagnosis was terminal from the get go, but how things slip and just seeing someone so close to you seemingly suffer and slide into nothing is pretty awful.

As has been said above and from experience, I hope you see a speedy resolution and be as strong as you can for your mum and family.

Associate
Sorry to hear this, terrible subject. I really don't get why euthanasia isn't allowed, it prevents suffering that would be allowed if it were any other animal, but for humans it's not. Whilst I think suicide is a selfish act, when the person has no hope of survival (in your grandmothers case) then some quick painless form of euthanasia is allowed, it would bring relief to the suffering person, and also quicker closure for the families. Sometimes families have to endure weeks of sitting by a relatives bedside, knowing nothing can be done and essentially waiting for them to go.

On a somewhat more mercenary note, allowing euthanasia would surely reduce strain on the NHS, as people can be in a comatose state for weeks or months with no hope of waking up, yet they still have to be monitored and take resources.

Man of Honour
Sorry to hear about your grandmother and I hope that peaceful rest comes to her quickly. When that time comes you'll have to be a rock so stay strong. In the meantime have a hug from me.

Back
Top Bottom