• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

Desk Project Log

Associate
The edge of the groove will be weaker without the bit at each end joining the two sides together.
The tenon may be slightly stronger but is more difficult to cut perfectly and could be less aesthetically pleasing as a result.
These tenons look covered in your design so it will not matter anyway and is purely a personal preference

Soldato
Following this project with great interest, I don't want to build a desk myself but would love to get into carpentry!
Do you have a list of tools you're using for this project?

Associate
OP
Following this project with great interest, I don't want to build a desk myself but would love to get into carpentry!
Do you have a list of tools you're using for this project?

Titan pillar drill. Not essential, but it is handy for driilling straight. I have a cordless Makita drill/screwdriver which I use occasionally as well. There's a 9mm drill bit in there right now for helping with the 9mm mortises. You can also see a marking square and tape measure to the left for measuring and marking and (trying to) keep things square.

Makita mitre saw. Probably essential I'd say, for cutting every piece to the right length quickly and accurately. I can't cut straight by hand to save my life, and even if I could it would be a lot of work. If I was to buy a new one, I'd probably look for one with a sliding arm, so you can cut wider pieces than the blade alone would allow.

Evolution table saw. The newest and biggest tool I own. Haven't used it extensively, but I don't think I'd have been able to cut the tenons without it. Probably essential for any quantity of "real" woodworking.

Makita router/trimmer. Essential. I don't own a full-size router, but this has done everything I really need up to now. Very handy gadget. Use it for cutting grooves, mortises, and a variety of edge profiles, though I tend to stick with a simple 1/4" round-over on most things I make.

And then a variety of hand tools for smaller or more intricate tasks - metal ruler, marking square, tape-measure, hack-saw, chisels, files, etc. Some essential, some not - depends on what you need to do.

On the software side, I spend ages fiddling in Sketchup before cutting anything! I keep meaning to learn something like Fusion360, but haven't got around to it yet.

Associate
Nice project! A custom (albeit much more basic) desk is something I'd love to do if given the time, space and tools.

Good updates, though that Christmas deadline is fast approaching :eek: Will you be carving the turkey on the table saw I wonder... :D

Associate
OP
Nice project! A custom (albeit much more basic) desk is something I'd love to do if given the time, space and tools.

Good updates, though that Christmas deadline is fast approaching :eek: Will you be carving the turkey on the table saw I wonder... :D

Ah, maybe a bit of miscommunication! I never intended to have it finished for Christmas, and indeed, it's not going to be. I do have to pack all the wood and tools away (somewhere!) so the room can be reclaimed for the Christmas dinner though!

Associate
Ah, maybe a bit of miscommunication! I never intended to have it finished for Christmas, and indeed, it's not going to be. I do have to pack all the wood and tools away (somewhere!) so the room can be reclaimed for the Christmas dinner though!
Ah I see! The true meaning of Christmas, relocating the usual mess until the family are all gone then moving it back again. At least that's what it is in my house

Back
Top Bottom