Detroit has no more money. [Officially Bankrupt]

Permabanned
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-23369573

I suppose the corruption and such has finally brought it to its knees.

Could we see an Eurozone style bailout fund for deprecated US cities?

Funnily enough as the analysis says, business is actually picking up in the city, I wonder if the Fed will just sell the city to whoever wants it... :p

(Also i do realise posting this at almost 2AM is not conducive to any thread)

what does robocop have to say about this?

Permabanned
The start of many bankruptcies in the public sector. It is quicker to name solvent states and constituencies than it is too name ones in high debt and on the verve of bankruptcy. Even the national governments are starting to falter. Just a matter of time. I laugh how the newspaper and the government try to make out as if all the problems are now over as we are back in "growth". Everyone moaning about austerity but lending and spending is higher than ever. The state is larger now that it has ever been or larger that was ever thought possible 100 years ago.

Soldato
Who underwrites American cities?
Is this like a council going bust, or a different process, as I know in the US everything is run as a business for a business, so is the city expected to raise all of its own revenue?

For this what services do they provide, as I thought water sanitation and bin collection, all that gear, even down to fire fighting was all subscription led? Or is that outside of cities?

Caporegime
The way the world economy has run for years was always without question destined to fail, a system based on as many people as possible working, massive population growth and inevitably less jobs. As always my example (particularly relevant to detroit) is that 50 years ago it took a hundred guys maybe a week to make a few cars and today it takes 5 guys, 100 robots and half a day to make 20 cards. Per say 1000 people we need less farmers, less manual labourers, less of almost every job to do the same amount of work.

Since technology became the main driving force in almost every industry efficiency has gone through the roof and jobs are simply ceasing to exist. Most governments are trying to hide most of these private, tax revenue generating jobs by hiring them in the public sector. So straight away you have higher tax costs and lower tax income, its a double whammy, you don't lose 10k income from someone in a 30-40k a year job, you lost the 10k income AND pay out 20-30k from tax money in a public sector replacement job, so you're 30-40k down, not 10k. Then you have the fact that governments have been adding basically red tape, more paperwork to all these government sectors and in doing so reduced the efficiency of public sector working... they are creating busy work to keep people in jobs, but vastly increasing the costs for work that is completely not needed.

We pay the retirement costs of the current generation with the pension payments made by current workers, but this system has always and will always required significantly more workers to be paying in than taking out, so 1mil pensioners, 3mil workers, those 3mil workers hit retirement age and you need 5mil workers to cover their pensions, those 5mil workers hit retirement and, it goes on forever.

Its utterly unsustainable, the job growth, the population growth, the public sector growth, not one part of it is even marginally sustainable let alone all of them together.

Every time the economy gets worse we lose more jobs and gain more public sector jobs, it gets worse constantly, we borrow more constantly, we will never, ever pay off any of this debt our only possibly hope is to slightly reduce the deficit.

The banks are rubbish, cheated people, basically committed fraud after fraud after fraud, destroying peoples lives, taking their homes, ruining lives to make a bit of extra cash, but they aren't responsible for a completely unsustainable economic model most of the world is trying to follow.

Soldato
Who underwrites American cities?
Is this like a council going bust, or a different process, as I know in the US everything is run as a business for a business, so is the city expected to raise all of its own revenue?

For this what services do they provide, as I thought water sanitation and bin collection, all that gear, even down to fire fighting was all subscription led? Or is that outside of cities?

From what I gather, a city like Detroit gets its income from property taxes, income tax, other local taxes and State Revenue Sharing (which I guess is federal money?)

It just had it state revenue sharing reduced by 48% in 2013! No wonder its finally gone bust.

A good summary here

http://bridgemi.com/2013/04/analysis-detroit-raises-large-sums-with-high-tax-rates/

The bankruptcy is called Chapter 9 (similar to Chapter 11 that business file for) which effectively means they can carry on, get their income and don't have to pay their creditors, who will be forced to take a haircut.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapter_9,_Title_11,_United_States_Code

Back
Top Bottom