Devon vs Cornwall

Associate
Hi all

Please put me out of my misery, help me choose my staycation location. Spent hours comparing and im stressed out! So im turned to my fellow members to help me decide.

2 nights in a sea view room for me and wife, either in Devon (Sidmouth Harbour Hotel) or Cornwall (Fowey Harbour Hotel).

Driving down from the Midlands so Sidmouth is closer and has an outdoor pool (which MAY be open). But the Fowey Hotel/Cornwall has caught my eye, not even sure why!

If you had won a weekend away to either, which would you choose and why?

Dont know either area at all so have no idea what there is to do near by. So any local advice would be appreciated. We really like walking.

Last edited:
Soldato
You realise you put Devon twice but locations in both counties, right?

Anyway, that aside I'd suggest Fowey over Sidmouth really, nicer and more stuff to do in relatively easy proximity.

Associate
OP
You realise you put Devon twice but locations in both counties, right?

Anyway, that aside I'd suggest Fowey over Sidmouth really, nicer and more stuff to do in relatively easy proximity.

Fixed, thanks for the heads up. If you dont mind elaborating, why is Fowey nicer than Sidmouth and what things can you do nearby? Sorry iv not been anywhere near either location so relying on others advice and google!

Soldato
Wherever you go, make sure you tell the locals the opposite way of doing a scone is correct. Jam before cream/ cream before jam. They get oddly defensive about it

Soldato
Fixed, thanks for the heads up. If you dont mind elaborating, why is Fowey nicer than Sidmouth and what things can you do nearby? Sorry iv not been anywhere near either location so relying on others advice and google!
There is plenty to do in either area (beach/cliff walks etc.) I just find that the Cornish coasts are generally nicer to spend time on than the Devon ones. It is kind of a much of a muchness though, both would be nice get aways although I would wait until things have properly calmed down in the country before doing holidays.

Associate
OP
There is plenty to do in either area (beach/cliff walks etc.) I just find that the Cornish coasts are generally nicer to spend time on than the Devon ones. It is kind of a much of a muchness though, both would be nice get aways although I would wait until things have properly calmed down in the country before doing holidays.

We have a Mr & Mrs Smith voucher which is expiring. As there could be a 'second wave' I figure going as soon as they open up may be the safest time. Seen as most of the staff have been sitting at home for months now. Plus if we do lots of walking, which we love, its easy to socially distance.

Associate
OP

It seems to me that it would be easlier to walk around in Sidmouth as your on a long stretch of beach front rather than in Cornwall where the hotel seems to be situated on a cliff side. But I guess till I get to either its hard to know which will have the nicer walks...

Soldato
If you took photo's in Cornwall and photo's in Devon and asked people to decide which was from which I doubt anybody would be able to tell the difference, both are pretty much the same in terms of scenery the only real difference is an arbitrary line drawn on a map

If you can't decide just flip a coin

Associate
OP
If you took photo's in Cornwall and photo's in Devon and asked people to decide which was from which I doubt anybody would be able to tell the difference, both are pretty much the same in terms of scenery the only real difference is an arbitrary line drawn on a map

I guess im asking you all to help me choose more so between the two hotels rather than the two areas. Though obvioulsy in doing so, you have to take area into consideration.

One is near the Eden Project. Has anyone been?

Soldato
It seems to me that it would be easlier to walk around in Sidmouth as your on a long stretch of beach front rather than in Cornwall where the hotel seems to be situated on a cliff side. But I guess till I get to either its hard to know which will have the nicer walks...
Have a google for walks etc. there should be plenty of info about, including on the 'visit x county' websites.

True, Cornwall tends to be a bit prettier though.

As for Eden, yes, it's pretty cool and a good bit of walking but does get very busy.

Soldato
I guess im asking you all to help me choose more so between the two hotels rather than the two areas. Though obvioulsy in doing so, you have to take area into consideration.

One is near the Eden Project. Has anyone been?

Choose Fowey, that way you can drive through Devon and judge if driving the extra distance was worth it :D

Associate
OP
One of the hotels is on a beach front and one is in a harbour. As iv never stayed in either before in the UK im unsure which one will be visually prettier. Sidmouth beach doesnt look the best.

Ahhh, tell a lie, iv been to Lulworth Cove... Which looks better than both of these options!!

Caporegime
I’d choose Fowey because of its location. It’s near St Austell and Polperro, which are both amazing places to while away a summers day.

it’s also pretty close to Mevagissey, which is a nice tourist seaside town.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'd have said Cornwall just for all the nice restaurants, but Covid-19 will have changed that quite a lot :(

Example - I went to a fusion restaurant near padstow (which are usually 'jack of all trades, master of none' type places) and it was incredible

But it was in an old mill and I think they only had 6 tables in there, and with social distancing being what it is you might find trouble getting bookings.

Back
Top Bottom