• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Did anyone win an 8086K Anniversary Edition Processor

Associate
OP
[ Video yes, photography not now and probably not anytime soon. I have a 20 core machine, all cores at 3.5Ghz and a 6 core 8600k @ 5.1Ghz. I use, Lightroom, Photoshop and DXO Photolab and for the most CPU taxing thing I do which is in DXO the 8600k is 78% faster.

I use lightroom as well and if you have a decent chunk of photos to export and do multiple simultaneous exports you can quite easily max out you cores.

So for example if you have 200 pics for arguments sakes, rather than selecting all and hitting export, try selecting 50 at a time then export, then select another 50 hit export with previous settings, etc until you've got them all covered. It's a bit of a faff but you can max out your cores relatively easily.

Soldato
Nice marketing idea, but they should have offered it for all 8086. Just doing 40 comes across as a bit cheap.
They can't give away all their profits :D. It's a chip twice the retail price and I wouldn't be surprised if it costs more than twice as much to manufacture than the 8700K/8086. If you get to install one you'll find it's one hell of a CPU to install, not difficult, but it's biiiiiiiig. Good bit of marketing anyway and a good free upgrade for those who go for it and providing it's a good match for their usage.

Permabanned
Personally if I win it, going to sell it and grab the ROG Strix B450-I with a 2700X.

Me too. I will sell it if... The question is immediately or wait some years... maybe its value price will increase and some Intel dire die-hard fans would pay 100,000?!

Soldato
Me too. I will sell it if... The question is immediately or wait some years... maybe its value price will increase and some Intel dire die-hard fans would pay 100,000?!
Forgot that.... After all in 40 years time when might have value, I will be 82, so probably dead already.

Also saw this. Damn... I know in US only but I have friends there :/

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-exchanges-your-8086k-for-a-threadripper-1950x.html

You got an 8086K AMD exchanges it to a 1950X....

Last edited:
Soldato
It's not cheap, it's a play on the anniversary; 40 exchanges for 40 years.
Yeah I get that 40 is the years. But the numbers only serve to highlight the perception of their market position and budget for this kind of promotion.

40 x £800 = £32,000 vs 8086 x £380 = £3,072,680 (obviously these are retail and costs will be lower).

It would have been a more impressive spoiler to offer a trade (perhaps a lower spec chip) to all 8086 winners - not all will take it anyway.
As it stands they will convert 0.5% of winners to AMD and in the US only.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's just poking fun at Intel, job done, why spend more? Makes a change for a bit of light hearted competition rather than the cut throat kind. At least Intel seemed to have entered into the spirit of it :)

Back
Top Bottom